1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

HC, DHEA Pregnenolone

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by vkiernan, Apr 6, 2012.

1. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

HazyJane, I need your help again. What do the initials ND stand for? Can they prescribe? Still on the hunt for a doc. Thanks so much for your help.

2. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I cannot stay up late. It wipes me completely out. Do you have adrenal issues? I am finally not needing lunch which is just not me. With my stage 7 adrenal fatigue, I am trying to figure out this whole blood sugar thing and how the adrenals are affected. I know that cortisol helps regulate it. In my consult, Dr. K told me something about my liver releasing FFA and that is contributing to my bs problem. I don't thoroughly understand it though. I am wondering though if CT is helping me. I have never been able to go this long without food as I get cranky and irritable normally. But it has been a whole week now and the last few days my BAB is too much.

I am still taking the maca. Not sure of any good bennies but whose to say that it won't take a while. I always look for the short term but I think when one is this broke, I will have to look at the long term. What is the chinese herbal formula? Last time I saw my doc she told me if have acupuncture that I should not take any chinese herbs. She was very adament about that. I think she doesn't want me on any stimulants other than the HC and dhea.

3. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

Yes, I've had adrenal fatigue on and off for years.

If you have stage 7 adrenal fatigue, anything you do is going to take awhile to work- that's just the nature of the beast, so to speak. In fact, at the height of my adrenal fatigue, my acupuncturist told me it could take up to 2 years to fully recover.

I'm on a classic formula called Gui Pi Tang. It has some ginseng but it's not a stimulant. It's actually a sleep/anemia formula. One of my issues (which makes it super hard to totally recover) is excessive dreaming. When you're stuck in excessive REM cycling, you don't get as much deep, slow-wave sleep, which is when the body/brain repairs itself, so you wake up very physically tired even after 9-10 hours of sleep. If the dreams are intense enough, you wake up exhausted. The Gui Pi Tang does seem to be helping, although it takes awhile to have the full effect.

4. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

ND is a naturopathic doctor and they can't prescribe (unless they're also an MD or NP).

I would check out http://www.functionalmedicine.org/ and http://thyroidbook.com/practitioner-locator.html for practitioners who can treat the endocrine system.

5. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Hazyjane,

Here's my problem. What would you do? I have the adrenal fatigue, tanked hormones, hypothyroid (OAT basically) along with Candida, leaky gut and who knows what else is the question. Dr. K. told me to find a func. med doc. to look closer at the gut to see if there is some chronic infection that is stressing the adrenals (I have been stressed my whole life and my digestion has sucked my whole life too). I am on Armour and HC so I need someone to prescribe (could keep the old doc just for the meds for now).

I found a glorifed chiro who does the fund med stuff.

I have an old doc who is "in network" and is a NP but was an MD

I have my current NP who won't look at anything other than her own mind.

I do have another potential doc who uses metametrics and is one of their physician referral docs; he is also into bio's and was an MD before this. I did send him an e-mail and explained my situation to see if he deals with this.

I don't know which way to go. The current doc is out as she told me there is nothing more she can do for me and don't come back for 3 months. My old doc doesn't know enough in my opinion as she missed the Candida and adrenal fatigue. The potential doc looks good but I just don't know as I had high hopes for the others too that turned out to be a bust. My dh is telling me to stay in network; but to get the right tests I don't know how that is possible. He also thinks I should just get the tests (even though I haven't a clue which ones) and do a consult with Dr. K. again.

Thanks for any help. As always, I really appreciate all your feedback.

6. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Not HazyJane, but I have similar challenges (Hashimoto's hypoT, adrenal fatigue, low DHEA, low ACTH, lots and lots of food sensitivities, probably candida, not doubt leaky gut). I have been all over to various places getting different pieces of the puzzle, for several years. I have been seeing an MD who specializies in the environmental medicine, and although not perfect, he's really been looking for the underlying cause of all this body malfunction (I plan to buy him Dr K's book once it comes out!). My experience with him for testing/labs/etc has been excellent, and defnitely not the regular mainstream answers (often prescribes vitamins, etc). I recently did a mold test and it came back positive (urine test done through realtimelab), so I am being treated with Cholestyramine to hopefully clear out the toxins from my body. Meanwhile, I'm testing for the source of the mold exposure...

I have yet to find that ideal doctor, but I do keep finding pieces along the way. My doctor is in Massachusetts (Francis Holistic Medical Center), so no help to you there, however a quick goole search gave me a link to someone's bio who at least looks similar in Wisconson: (http://www.inwellnesstoday.com/norm-schwartz.php)

7. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks so much. He looks like a great prospect. I don't think I would be dealing with an amateur for sure. Don't know how you found him but WOW!

8. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I totally know how you feel- it's hard to find one doc to do it all. It's like you have to have a cooperative/open minded MD or NP to prescribe and a good functional medicine practitioner to know which labs to do and how to properly read them!

I say go to the glorified chiro for your endocrine stuff. Most of the people who are doing the best endocrinology work right now are glorified chiros. Then, go to whatever MD/NP is most cooperative with prescribing Armour and HC (though you may eventually be able to get off of the Armour and you def. should be able to get of HC).

One thing that might be helpful would be to find someone who does advanced electrodermal screening to check you for pathogens. I have a guy here in Nashville who has helped me countless times on that end when I knew something was wrong in the virus/bacteria dept. He was also able to give me the right herbs/homeopathics to clear up the little buggers. Electrodermal screening also checks for food/chemical sensitivities. Where are you? I'll see if I can find someone in your area.

Here are some things you can do right now w/o a doc:

-Re: leaky gut- you can just go ahead and start healing your gut. I'd recommend doing that no matter what! I think Sea Cure whitefish peptides and L-Reuteri probiotics and lots of bone broth is a solid regimen. That way you've got the materials to rebuild the gut lining and the bacteria to repopulate it and keep the villi healthy (Reuteri is specific to this).

-For the candida, just do a month of Candex along with some cat's claw (either Saventaro or Nutribiotic brand). Along with the leaky gut stuff, this should be enough.

Adrenal fatigue-wise (I'm the queen of that, LOL!) the things you can do on your own are read (or re-read!!) Adrenal Fatigue by James Wilson and adapt as many of the lifestyle things as you can.

Consider doing qigong as a way to build your energy back. It really has helped me tremendously! It builds energy in the adrenals, builds the immune system and helps with stress.

Spring Forest Qigong is a great healing system that I've heard amazing things about (it's popular with people with chronic illness). I'll probably learn this style to expand my own personal qigong practice. I have a lot of respect for Chun Yi Lin. He was able to help my qigong teacher heal his vision after a series of mini strokes damaged his ocular blood vessels (as well as stop the mini strokes from happening!) He's the reason my teacher started studying!

http://www.springforestqigong.com/

A good DVD that has a short, easy to learn routine is Qigong for Cleansing by Daisy Lee and Francesco Garripoli. It only takes about 9 min. once you learn it. I noticed a difference very quickly when I started using it. This was my introduction to qigong.

http://www.amazon.com/Gong-Cleansing-Daisy-Lee-Garripoli/dp/B000AYELB0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The key is to do it every day, even for only a few minutes. That's my main challenge- I know that if I could be totally consistent with it, I'm positive I wouldn't slip back into adrenal fatigue as easily ;) At least when I do, it's nowhere near as severe as it was a few years ago! I've come a long way!!

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Im seriously thinking about opening a CME business to train doctors.....I think based upon the consults I have done and reading this forum it is the one area that needs the most help.......What good is the knowledge if you cant get some actionable plan to make it work?

10. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

FABULOUS idea, Jack!

11. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

I second the motion!!! We need our docs on board!! We would flood you with willing participants.... Especially if they could read your book first.

12. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Hazyjane, Thank you, thank you. You gave me lot's of great advice.

For leaky gut, I am currently doing L-glutamine, dgl liccorice, kombucha, sauerkraut, and I'm sure other things that I just can't remember right now. For Candida, I have done many months of Caprystatin, Kyolic Garlic and Candida Clear. I still have the sniffly nose so not sure if that's related to the Candida but thinking I might still have it if it is. For the adrenals, I am doing l-theanine, dgl liccorice, vit. C, B and I always try to get sleep. I do work 2 jobs and don't see how I can stop either one. I know that would be the best thing for me though if I could. I have been eating eggs and people are telling me I shouldn't. That will be tough but if it will help then I will do it. If I do some pushups and squats, is that too hard on the adrenals too? What about just mowing the lawn - self-propelled walk behind? I am feeling flabbier all the time. Losing muscle and that isn't good either. Stuck and not knowing what to do. Dr. K. said no exercise but I don't know the parameters of that.

Consider doing qigong as a way to build your energy back. It really has helped me tremendously! It builds energy in the adrenals, builds the immune system and helps with stress.

Spring Forest Qigong is a great healing system that I've heard amazing things about (it's popular with people with chronic illness). I'll probably learn this style to expand my own personal qigong practice. I have a lot of respect for Chun Yi Lin. He was able to help my qigong teacher heal his vision after a series of mini strokes damaged his ocular blood vessels (as well as stop the mini strokes from happening!) He's the reason my teacher started studying!

http://www.springforestqigong.com/

A good DVD that has a short, easy to learn routine is Qigong for Cleansing by Daisy Lee and Francesco Garripoli. It only takes about 9 min. once you learn it. I noticed a difference very quickly when I started using it. This was my introduction to qigong.

http://www.amazon.com/Gong-Cleansing-Daisy-Lee-Garripoli/dp/B000AYELB0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The key is to do it every day, even for only a few minutes. That's my main challenge- I know that if I could be totally consistent with it, I'm positive I wouldn't slip back into adrenal fatigue as easily ;) At least when I do, it's nowhere near as severe as it was a few years ago! I've come a long way!!I will look all of this up and I am not familiar with it at all.

Going to order the supps you recommeded today. I believe someone said that L-glutamine feeds candida - what do you think?

My plan is to go back to my old doc and hopefully she will help and see the func. med doc and hope for the best. Thank you so much!:)

13. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I don't really buy that glutamine feeds candida because I've successfully used it during candida protocols...

The reason I like Candex is because it's a systemic enzyme that implodes the cell wall of the yeast rather than slowly poisoning it (and it doesn't have a chance to release acetyldehyde as it's dying, which is what causes "die-off" symptoms).

Some strains of candida are more tenacious than others (not everyone has the albicans strain- there are quite a few strains). None of them become resistant to enzymes.

Re: working out, I'd stick to very gentle stuff right now, but you could do some isometric stuff which still works the muscles but might be gentler than squats and pushups. You can get Bar Method dvds from Netflix to try (and modify the workout a bit to make it less strenuous).

14. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

HazyJane, I bought the supps you recommeded and the dvd. I also bought the book which I have read but will read again. I can't wait until they arrive. I also made another appt. with a new doc. Hell, I am just going to keep trying them until I run out. Who knows what I might find!

I hope you find someone here who does the electrodermal screening. I would be very interested in that. Thanks again so much.

As for exercise, would gently yoga and walks be fine?

15. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

Yay! I'm excited for you! Just the act of intentional self-care is healing:)

Aim to do some qigong every day! Once you learn the routine, you can skip ahead on the dvd to where they do it straight through.

Here are some little tip that increases the effectiveness of qigong: breath into your belly rather than your chest and (this will sound weird!) try to keep your sphincter closed. This keeps more of the energy in. In qigong, we store our energy in the lower abdomen (the lower "dantian") so you can imagine energy as golden light or liquid accumulating in a bowl in your belly:) Adding visuals like that really helps me.

Walks and gentle yoga are totally appropriate. I find when I walk that if I really "stroll" and enjoy my surroundings, it feels wonderful and healing (rather than walking because I "should"). It feeds my soul. Get lots of barefoot time in the grass to electrically ground yourself to the earth (I usually do my qigong in the grass).

I'll see who I can find that does electrodermal screening in your neck of the woods.

16. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Hazy, got my supps. Any special way I should be taking them? I took them all with BAB this am.

17. janagram

janagram New Member

Hazyjane, I have this dreaming thing now.....wake up every hr.....barely....surfing the REM waves. floaty dreams all night...wake up tired. Am trying a couple of things....I have purchased DHEA, 5 mg., and pregnenolone, 10 mg. and will add them to my daily regimen. I chose low doses because I don't have any testing to show I need it, but as an insomniac...I bet I need it.

18. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Oh Hazy, my life saver where have you been???:D

I am taking the seacure and L-Rueteri before BAB along with the Candex and cat's claw. Is this ok? I also take my Armour then too. This is all taken about 15 min. before my BAB. I hope my timing of things is right. Thanks much.

19. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I am also riding the coat tails of your suggestions Hazy, :D I just received my cat's claw, Reuteri and seacure. I have high hopes. But I haven't yet figured out dosages and timing.

20. janagram

janagram New Member

ok, you guys are super knowledgeable...I just started taking DHEA, 5 mg. and pregnenolone, 10 mg.....(I have no idea what I'm doing...just thought I'd try starting small....for sleep problems, I'm 64)

And now I'm amazingly tired.....(last 2 days...been taking it for 3-4 days)..but don't sleep as well as I'd like to, maybe better, tho'.

Just wondering about the fatigue thru the day...? I can't keep taking it if its like this....