1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

HC, DHEA Pregnenolone

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by vkiernan, Apr 6, 2012.

1. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Hi all. Time to get this adrenal and leaky gut thread going. I have soooo many questions since I have stage 7 adrenal fatigue and leaky gut, both confirmed, along with candida and hormone issues but the latter 2 are for another thread.

For starters, my first question to getting to optimal is when is the appropriate time to take HC, DHEA & pregnenolone?

I have read to take the DHEA and preg. first thing with fat and protein. But I have also read to take DHEA and preg. on any empty stomach first thing. Which is correct?

I was also doing some reading on HC and it said it needs to be taken with food or it might cause stomach issues. I have enough stomach issues going on so I really need some insight into this. If HC is to be taken with food, how should I take it at my 3 pm time when lunch was 3 hours ago and supper isn't for 3 more hour since no snacks allowed? I cannot take it too late in the day since it is supposed to be mimicking my natural cortisol rise and fall.

Thanks for any input!:)

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I take mine w/my BPCoffee every morning right after breakfast... no issues for me...

as for HC... I'm no help for you on that...

3. Clabbergirl

Clabbergirl New Member

I've taken HC without any stomach upset, thankfully. It may not give you the upset it warns about. That would solve the problem if it does not. Otherwise, not sure what to suggest.

4. ColdBren

ColdBren New Member

what is hc?

5. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

Hydrocortisone.

I don't take HC, but I take my preg. in divided doses, first thing in the a.m. and again in the afternoon.

6. Mery

Mery Silver

I take HC 10mg with breakfast and 5mg with lunch and i don't have any problems

7. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks Mery. You are taking it with food correct? Are there any times of the day you don't take it with food? I am supposed to also take it at 11 and 3 but I do not eat at those times of the day and that is where my concern is. I already have Candida and leaky gut. I am hoping it won't be an issue by not being able to eat when I have to take it. Although I could probably push the 11 out to 12 and just hope the afternoon dose won't do much damage.

8. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks Hazyjane. Can I ask how long have you taken the preg? How much? What have you noticed from it? So you are taking it without food? You know so much and any advice you offer me is greatly appreciated. I don't want to take something that can really benefit me knowing I might be taking it incorrectly. I, too, take it 2x a day. I am just not sure whether I should be taking it before my BAB or after. I could always do my own n=1.

9. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I take 20 mgs. 2 x/day. I started out with Apex Energetics brand, which is a liquid form and I seemed to need a lower dose of that (according to muscle testing by my doc ) than what I'm taking now (Source Naturals brand). I think I may go back to Apex.

I had low DHEA and progesterone, so my holistic doc wanted to try pregenolone. I've been on it for a few months- maybe 3-4 (I can't remember!) It's hard to say what I've noticed- I do think it's helped my adrenals and hormone balance, though right now I can tell I still have low morning cortisol going on. My head feels heavy in the a.m., but at least I can think clearly! My cognition has been pretty good, so it may be helping with that.

I need to do another ASI to see how my adrenal hormones are faring.

10. Destiny

Destiny New Member

If salivary cortisol is not bad during the day but spikes at night, what would you do?

11. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

You have opposite of what you want. You need to turn the lights way down at night and let your body naturally do it's thing. If you haven't installed f-lux on your computer, that would be a great start.

We could give you more tips if we knew more about you such as what is your life like and what are you currently taking and what time of day? Are you battling anything else in your life besides high nighttime cortisol?

12. I was on HC for two years. Luckily was able to get off of it recently. I took it 4 x a day and did not take it with food. I had no issues. If you do have issues then take it with a little tea and cream or coffee and cream. Unless of course you are sensitive to dairy. Anyway you shouldn't need much cream to tolerate the HC.

I've taken DHEA first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and have never taken preg. I'm happy to say that I am completely off of all adrenal support after having severe adrenal fatigue!!! Even though I was off of the adrenal meds a few months prior to starting CT I do feel like doing the Leptin Rx and CT have helped immensely.

--Steph

--Steph

13. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks so much Steph for responding. All very helpful and gives me a lot of hope. It is really hard to explain AF to people. They really don't understand what you are talking about and blow it off as no big deal. My boss likened it to him wanting to lose weight when he has time to "work" on it.

Glad you are healing and in a better place.

14. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Interesting on the liquid. I haven't heard of that. According to some of my books, the preg. is supposed to give you the clear brain. It is also supposed to help with your social skills. Able to carry conversation, etc. The book also mentions how it never really converts to progesterone like Docs say it will. At least for the majority of the public but that is also with normal, not extrememe dosing. It is supposed to help with lack of sleep and somehow a hangover as well.

15. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

Interesting about the progesterone... I wonder if I should go back on Apex progesterone? I took it for a bit but went off of it when I went on preg. I liked that it seemed to have a diuretic affect on my belly:)

16. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Absolutely on the belly diuretic. I'm sure you know already know though that it is the balance to estrogen which is anti-diuretic. They need to balance each other with a specific ratio. Do you also find it gets rid of the aggitation and helps you sleep?

I have seen the links for the ratio but never actually looked at them. I really need to do that. I have avoided it since I am very low in P and extremely high in E and until my doc is going to do something, why put my energy there.

17. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I really need to learn more about ratios. In the past, I had low/normal estrogen and low progesterone, so it was "relative" estrogen dominance, but not true estrogen excess. I have a feeling that tends to be my pattern, still. I never get the major PMS that so many estrogen dominant women get, though I've had moments of emotional PMS last cycle, which I'm pretty sure is CT estrogen dump related.

One thing I think might be important for estrogen dominant women to remember: coffee increases estrogen levels quite a lot! I know many of us here are bulletproof coffee fans;)

18. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I didn't know that about coffee and estrogen. Thanks. Booo, no coffee? That is a sad day. I know I shouldn't drink it anyway with the AF, but I really love my 1 cup of Kona in the am with my BAB.

I sure love all the tidbits one picks up out here. You never know what you will learn in any given day!:D

19. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I think a cup now and then might be ok once your estrogen levels are lower. I have a friend who totally gets hot flashes if she drinks coffee- it messes up her estrogen ratio that much!

20. Have you tried taking DIM at all. I didn't have the same situation as you, but DIM has really helped me. I had high estradiol and low estriol and ok progesterone. I ended up doing a lot of experimenting and using DIM, with estriol and progesterone worked great. That is until I got off of the HC and started the CT...now I'm having to figure it all out again. I'm going to do a saliva cortisol and hormone test this month to see where I'm at. Last month I did DIM, tri-est, and progesterone and felt the best I have in a long time. Absolutely no PMS symptoms. This month the estrogen doesn't seem to be working so well, so definitely need to see what's going on, but I guess the CT can mess with the hormone levels. Plus like I said I think getting off of the HC has also changed my hormones quite a bit.

--Steph