1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Harvesting UVA on skin surfaces at high latitudes for Vit D?

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Scompy, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Scompy

Scompy Gold

Is this a potential biohack?
    Has anyone thought about a hot-shower to get the skin pink, then while still hot/pink, run outside into the UVA light in the freezing cold?

I mention it because of the normal behavior in Scandinavia...Or taking hot spring baths outside in Iceland. In Finland, they like to take a sauna until beat-red and beat themselves with birchtree branches, then walk outside and skinny dip into a freezing lake or pool. Then literally rinse and repeat. The instant-constriction of blood-vessels in the cold air/water along with the blood brought to the skin surfaces from the sauna or hot shower, and then the UVA hitting the skin. Could this potentially harvest UVA in the dead of winter at high lattitudes to convert cholesterol to Vitamin D, or a fail due to the lack of UVB?

lohd2015 likes this.
  2. Inger

Inger Silver

Well I do this every day... I take a long hot shower and then I dip outside in my ice cold rainbarrell.. and stand a little in the outside light to suck in the rays.....
    IDK if it is right or wrong but I love my ritual ;)

nicld and Scompy like this.
  3. thomas

thomas Sun Worshipper

Theorically no, you need uvb to convert 7-dehydrocholesterol into vitD.
    but you know what I think about science these days? ...aheum. Scientists wouldn't recognise a meteor falling on them unless there were enough papers producing evidence that it's possible ( but then there also would be a ton of other papers producing evidence of the contrary)
    I guess the only real way to know is... test it for yourself and takes labs and see.

Cpt.Tired, lohd2015 and Scompy like this.
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Why do you think I do the Fournier effect? LOL

Scompy likes this.