1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Haplotype and SNPs

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Dani, Sep 5, 2018.

1. PalmBeach1

PalmBeach1 Gold

drezy which 23 and me labs do you purchase? Getting ready to do it and don't know much about it

2. drezy

drezy Gold

I think these days it's called "Health & ancestry"

PalmBeach1 likes this.
  3. Bob Stirling

Bob Stirling New Member

I checked the 23andme site (see below). You can also upgrade to the Health and Ancestry service if you purchased the Basic Ancestry and have received your reports.

"If you have the Health + Ancestry Service you have access to the full 23andMe experience. If you only have the Ancestry Service, you can easily upgrade to the Health + Ancestry Service for C$150 which gives you access to all 125+ reports on ancestry, traits and health. You are eligible to upgrade once you have received your Ancestry reports. To upgrade, log in to your 23andMe account and navigate to the Settings page. You will receive immediate access to your new health reports.

You may save up to C$30 if you purchase the C$249 Health + Ancestry Service instead of the C$129 Ancestry Service as the fee for adding health reports later is C$150 (C$279 total). We may offer special discounted upgrades from time to time."

PalmBeach1, Sergio Valadez and drezy like this.
  4. Sergio Valadez

Sergio Valadez New Member

What would be the benefit for her or anyone else to get the Health + Ancestry one as opposed to just the Ancestry one. I got mine years ago back when you automatically got both Health + Ancestry for $100. However, I have yet to see a benefit from the Health portion of the test. Dr. Kruse seems to mainly be concerned with the maternal/mitochondrial haplogroup (which is included in the less expensive Ancestry one) as well as SNPs which you get from your raw DNA (which, again you also have access to if you get the less expensive Ancestry only one). Is there something I’m missing? Any real benefit to paying $100 more for the Ancestry + Health?

PalmBeach1 and drezy like this.
  5. drezy

drezy Gold

Looks like you know more than me about these tests.

Happlotype and SNPs for the win however you can get them.

Sergio Valadez likes this.
  6. Michalis

Michalis New Member

Is there a test that detects more SNPs that 23 and me? Especially more VDR related?

7. JVB

JVB New Member

Have you run your raw data through Genetic Genie? That seems to be the easiest. It will tell you your VDR and COMT SNPs which affect each other.

http://resqua.com/702188759/what-is-the-significance-of-a-vdr-taq-gene

For example I have a VDR Taq +/+ and all of my COMT SNPs are -/- (not good) so I am naturally the lowest in dopamine and may be why I have an insatiable need for chocolate every day. I spent last summer at the beach (and will again this summer) and got my Vitamin D up into the 60s I'm guessing (I tested at 55 in August after a month of not getting a ton of sun in Atlanta) and I felt great.

8. Michalis

Michalis New Member

I have actually, I got the same SNPs like yours.. A chronically hungry man :)
    I strongly believe that what we have learnt here, we need to be on the sun all the time with these kinds of snps.. the bloody VDR is affecting a lot of things downstream..

9. JVB

JVB New Member

Interesting! We're trying to figure out where to move next and my initial thought was small town New England (where I'm from and where our families live) but I'm wavering because of the VDR thing. I used to hate hate hate the heat but it doesn't bother me anymore at all and I've found myself enjoying winter less this year than I have in the past.

10. Michalis

Michalis New Member

I would like to write about me but some is in the journal and i hear Uncle Jack in my head telling me to move (and i cant right now).. so i won't elaborate. I would say go south if you can and if your partner is on-board.. The VDR calls for sun. Possibly it is there for a reason..Possibly it is a random mutation...Post in Ask Jack maybe? I got massive onset of osteoarthritis in my whole body.. Coupled with London's emf and blue light = melanopsin dysfunction.. So you have been warned.. South is more sound..

11. JVB

JVB New Member

Thank you I do appreciate that and I'll check your journal. My haplogroup is V4 and I'm about 80% British/Scottish/Irish. My mother has Type II diabetes (diagnosed in her mid 50s) and my grandmother did as well so I am cognizant of both the VDR thing and my blue lit germ line. Also we have three kids that I want to keep healthy and happy. The tricky thing is my husband is a finance lawyer, so although we don't need to be in Atlanta by any means, most jobs are in bigger cities and then we have to contend with different state bar exams, etc. He's working on it and I'm keeping the faith that we will be able to move this summer.

12. Michalis

Michalis New Member

Best of luck with the move! Standard American Diet + Blue light are the culprits for mum and gran i guess.. eating out of season stretches the respiratory proteins and blue light throw gas into the fire.. We go out of sync and become sick.. and it happens slowly slowly up to the point that heteroplasmy creeps up in various tissues so you start getting sick. Then it is like a waterfall..

Bob Stirling likes this.
  13. JVB

JVB New Member

Yep - I never remember my grandmother being outside and they lived right on the beach. My mom was ok (except myopia) up until the point she got a smart phone and then it was T2D and multiple spine operations. My sisters and I have always wondered why she makes such bad financial and life decisions because she's so smart but now I see she's been in a rather low dopamine state for a long time.

14. Michalis

Michalis New Member

Yeap and she most likely carry the snp that doesn't get mitigated by the sun as she stays in.

15. Sergio Valadez

@Michalis , how have you been doing research on your SNPs? Have you mainly been googling the ones shaded yellow or red individually? Any tips for someone like me who’s wanting to start looking into that?... thanks ahead of time

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  16. Michalis

Michalis New Member

Yes mainly googling and reading in here and listening to JKs podcasts... There are bits and pieces scattered everywhere on the site.. a bit of a pain...There are some golden nuggets in people's journals as well..

I think the important bit is how SNPs interact between them and that is not my strength.. there are so many pathways up down left and right.. and then it is that + the environment

It is not something static, it is dynamic and changing all the time ..

PalmBeach1 and Sergio Valadez like this.
  17. Sergio Valadez

Thanks! Appreciate it. :)

18. Michalis

Michalis New Member

I have been reading Nicolas Nasim Taleb "Antifrigile" ..his thought is very similar to Jacks in terms of non linearity.. And that is the key to think about SNPs.

A bit off topic, that guy, wrote a book called "The Black Swan" and another one "Skin in the game" ... i really dont know how came first , the chicken or the egg..

PalmBeach1 and Sergio Valadez like this.
  19. Michalis

Michalis New Member

20. PalmBeach1

PalmBeach1 Gold

Thats a great question and thanks for the info as it will save me some money
    michalis
    Thanks for all your great information! Im going to Kruse Longevity center for two days in May and want to get the ancestry done ... how long does it take to get back ?