1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Hair falling out and dizziness

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by Eliza, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Hi all,

I've been on the leptin reset for about 2 weeks now and CT for about a week. I'm a 28 year old female. Since starting the reset I'm finding on occasion I'm quite dizzy despite putting salt on all my food. I've got bone broth cooking as we speak. My hair is falling out more than normal too and my skin is dry.

Nobody looks at me and says I'm overweight, but according to numerous BIA I have 38% fat mass. I feel very overweight.

Can someone tell me what might be causing the dizziness? And whether the leptin reset with CT will allow me to drop back to a much lower fat mass and reverse the insulin resistance?

My history: I'm being treated with metformin for mild insulin resistance. Other relevant labs I've had done so far (for the others I will try to get the Dr to agree to):
    Vitamin D: 65nM/L (currently on supplementation)
    Free T4: 14.4pmol/L
    TSH: 1.8 mU/L
    Free T3: 3.2 pmol/L
    Testosterone: <0.5nmol/L
    SHBG: 93 nmol/L
    Free testosterone: <4
    FAI: <0.5L
    DHEAS: 4umol/L
    ESR: 16mm/hr
    Cholesterol: 6.9 mmol/L
    HDL: 2.3mmol/L
    LDL: 4.3 mmol/L
    Trigs: 0.76mmol/L
    Magnesium: 0.79mmol/L

Thank you so much for your help in advance. This is the first site I've seen in years that's offering real light at the end of the tunnel for so many people.

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Eliza and welcome! Sorry - I can't help with labs but someone will come along as soon as they have time.

Ask your Doc to do a hsCRP ..... that indicates how much inflammation you have in your body.

Have you had a saliva ASI done? you need to know your cortisol levels and DHEA and Pg/E2 etc.

There is a free 90 Day optimal reset starting soon. Please sign up on the home page. There is a yellow banner right at the top of the page where you can register. Dr. K. is going to cover all the basics and he will have guests - Dr. Jackson is one and Ameer Rosic etc.

Dr. Kruse and Misty have done a webinar about getting labs. You should get a link when you register.

Also - Dr. Tim Jackson did a free webinar about hormones - you can track that down on the home page.

Do you have Dr.K's book The Epi Paleo RX .... it has a great section on labs and gives you a great overview of all of this and what Dr. Kruse is all about.

What is your non native EMF exposure? at home? at work? this is critical.
    Are you able to get outside for grounding and sunlight? Are you drinking spring water?

Please start a journal in the journal section - Dr. K. likes journals - he needs context. Tell us where you live...in a city? and more of your health history. A journal is great for keeping track and interacting with the rest of us!

There is also a section for posting labs - they might not get seen here quite as readily.

Please keep reading and asking questions......:)

This is a great journey to Optimal health - so glad that you have found Dr. K.

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Hi Eliza, welcome!
    I agree with Caroline, you should be drinking lots and lots of reverse osmosis or spring water.

4. HoneyChild

HoneyChild Gold

You really ought to get a full thyroid panel done which includes antibodies and rT3 as this can be linked to hair loss.

Also, B12 deficiency can cause hair loss. I remember watching a vid about a women who went bald because of it. Unfortunately I can't seem to get the video to load but it used to be here

"Janette first appeared in the BBC InsideOut documentary in October 2006. Since then the NHS has forced her doctor to withdraw B12 replacement therapy on a number of occasions, and she tells of her struggles with having B12 and then having it taken away.

She has bravely agreed to be filmed without her usual wig, but her memory is playing up because it is so long since her last injection.

Janette also appears in the BBC Documentary, filmed 4 years earlier. In the meantime, she's had her treatment stopped on two occasions by the local health board."

https://www.b12d.org/pernicious-anemia-and-hair-loss

5. cantweight

cantweight Gold

Perhaps try upping the fat content of your BAB and most definitely drink more good water to combat dizziness. Hair loss issues have always been thyroid for me. If you have a moment go back into your post and put the ranges used in your labs...they seem to vary by lab and region. Hang in there :)

6. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Hi everyone,
    Thank you so much for your quick replies and advice.
    @caroline hsCRP is being done tomorrow. I've never had the saliva ASI done but will see if my dr will agree to the other tests Dr K suggests.
    I have now registered for the reset - thanks! I do have Dr K's book and love it!

I will start a journal and look in the labs section.

For past 5 yrs I have drunk fluoridated town water but since starting the reset have switched to spring water.

I live in town on a first floor apartment. I guess EMF is about normal these days with laptop, tvs wifi etc.

My Vitamin D was low and I have been supplementing and trying to get more sunlight.

@honeychild - thanks I will try to get rt3 and b12 taken as well. My hair loss hasn't been bad until the reset.

@cantweight - I wondered this too. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to include more fat. I did wonder whether this could be from low calorie since while I'm eating 3 times a day I'm not hungry and perhaps my lunch and dinner aren't big enough.

7. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your kind words and helpful advice.
    Caroline: I'm having an hsCRP tomorrow, and will try to get my doctors to order the other tests. I notice you're in Australia too - does your gp agree to order these tests? Any recommendations for gps? I'm in Canberra.

I have now signed up for the Leptin reset and will also post a journal. I will read the other links and the webinars tonight :D

I am from a city, in a first floor apartment. I suppose my non-native EMF would be about average? I have a desk job and then wifi, mobile phone, laptop etc. I will post all of this in a journal tonight as well.

For about 5 years since I've lived here I've drunk fluoridated tap water. Since starting the reset, I've switched to spring water. I do have Dr K's book and I'm really enjoying it.

@ honeychild - thanks. I would like to get an rt3 done and also B12 - thanks for the suggestions.

@can'tweight thanks for the suggestion. I had wondered in the back of my mind whether it could be due to low calories? Although I'm eating a bab and 2 other meals, I'm not snacking and I'm getting full quickly. I will add more fat to my meals just in case.

Thanks again :D

8. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Hi Caroline,

Thanks so much for your advice and sorry for the late reply. I seem to be having odd issues posting at the moment. I'm having hscrp drawn at the moment, and hopefully my Dr will agree to order the other tests. Since you're in Australia - how is your gp with ordering some of these tests? Do you have issues in asking them to do it?

I've registered for the 90 day reset and will start a journal and look at the lab blogs too.

I have been drinking fluoridated tap water since living here for about 5 years. Since starting the reset, I've switched to spring water.

In terms of my EMF it's probably pretty average for someone living in a city as I do. I'm in a first floor apartment and no doubt there's wifi everywhere. I have started turning off my wireless router (as well as turning off powerpoints in my bedroom and switching off my mobile) at night. I also have a desk job but with grounded computers vs my laptop at home, hopefully that's no so bad.

Thanks again - I really appreciate all the advice you've posted here

9. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Thanks nonchalant - I'm now only drinking spring water. I maybe need to investigate RO water for the future

10. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Thanks cantweight I did wonder whether some of this might be related to low calorie intake? Although I'm having a BAB and two other meals per day, I'm never hungry, and perhaps I'm not having enough calories. I have started to add some more fat to my BAB and I'm maybe seeing a slight improvement? Hard to tell sometimes. I haven't got my labs handy but I know they were within the reference ranges

11. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Thanks Caroline - I'm going to try to get my B12 and rt3 done in my next batch of blood work.

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Eliza! I get a saliva ASI done thru ZRT labs in the U.S. - You can order them yourself.

Are you having 50gr of protein for your BAB? I didn't quite understand. You said you are eating 3 meals a day but never hungry? Some people think that 50gr is volume......

You can ground your laptop - there is a video on how to do it on the home page.

Some threads are moderated and if it is the weekend - they may not get approved until Monday.....prevents spam etc. Don't take it personally ..lol

If you ever have a problem tho .... go to the bottom of the page where it says "contact us"

My Doc is great - he is very interested in all of this but doesn't have time to do all the reading - so we have great discussions. I am very careful to respect his opinions and he does the same for me and we decide on a course of action between us.

I look forward to your journal and getting to know you :)

Don't forget the webinar on Monday!

13. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for this! I'll check out the saliva ASI.

Sorry for the confusion - yes, I do eat the 50g protein for BAB but what I meant is for lunch and dinner I'm never hungry so I daresay my calorie intake is a lot lower in those meals. There is still protein and fat in lunch and dinner, but perhaps not as much as there should be.

Thanks for the advice about grounding the laptop. I went looking for a cord in Dick Smith yesterday and couldn't find one. I may need to do a little more work on that one. I'll watch the video as well.

Ah - that might explain the posting. Well 2 replies much the same as what I've done may appear... if so I will delete them asap (such a newbie :eek: )

That is great to hear about your doctor! I haven't tested this out on my one (I rarely ever see a gp, only my endocrinologist for my insulin resistance). I hope he's as supportive!

I can't wait for the webinar. Unfortunately I'm going to be at work (I think it works out to be about 1 or 2pm in Australia?) but I'll definitely watch the replay of it.

Thanks again - you've already offered me more advice and help than you know!!

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Eliza - I didn't realize you are in Oz ..... How did I miss that? Where are you if I may ask? I am south of Sydney.
    There is a couple of labs here to get an ASI done......health scope is one..
    Dr.Jackson has an account with a lab in Sydney.

Have you read the Aussie donut hole thread? Dr. K gave us heaps there.

I think the webinar will be around 11:00 am ..but I always get it mixed up! You will be able to listen later.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Eliza - I found my doc by asking at a compounding pharmacy.... They will tell you what doc is writing scripts for BHRT

Are you concerned about your weight? Don't worry about calories ....if you have enough fat and protein for your BAB you probably won't want lunch and that is totally fine. It is okay to have a small dinner too if you aren't very hungry.

Put your BAB into one of those calorie counter things and just check if you're concerned.

Do you have a BPC?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  16. Jude

Jude Gold

Hi Eliza, not sure what is causing your dissyness but in response to your second question about using the leptin reset/ct/etc to effect weight loss and basically resolve insulin resistance is that.... yes it will...and in a fashion completely belonging to you, which really means no one can predict how fast or slow that may take:D

Are you getting a Biochemistry and hormone tests as well?
    Your Vit D is low at 65....my Aussie Dr likes it round 120.. you need Vit D3 and probably 10,000u for a couple of months and recheck.
    DHEAS is low as well (you didn't include ref ranges)
    Trigs ok
    HDL is lower than LDL indicating a leaky gut..(which epi paleo covers)
    Your T3 is a bit low.
    Looks like ?pregnenolone steal syndrome...heaps on here about this..Hormones 101 to start.
    Have fun!

17. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Hi Caroline,

I'm in Canberra - are there many Australians on here do you know? I haven't read the Aussie thread yet. There's just so much to read on here it's mind blowing!

I look forward to listening to the webinar later.

I am not concerned about my weight, but am really concerned about my fat mass. I don't think 38% is particularly normal. Most people can't believe it when I tell them but that doesn't change what it is!

I've started having more fat in my BAB and I think my hair loss is perhaps slowing a little? Anyway, the dizziness is gone, so I suspect that was probably a combination of dehydration plus not enough fat/calories.

I'm not sure what a BPC is?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  18. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Hi Jude,

Thanks for your advice! I'm supplementing D3 every day (liquid drops) at 10 000u.

I'm going to see what other tests I can get.

DHEAs reference ranges were 1.7 - 11.5. I was sort of hoping that since my endocrinologist told me my hormones were ok, maybe I wasn't in too bad shape!! But I guess given the difficulty I have had in losing weight in the past 3 years, I know there's definitely issues within my body.

I didn't know that about the connection between cholesterol and leaky gut! There's so much more reading that I need to do. I do suffer from reflux on occasion (and my mum has really severe GERD).

I was hoping it wasn't pregnenalone steal syndrome, but hopefully the CT and leptin reset is already starting to have a positive effect!

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

BPC = Bullet proof Coffee. You add a couple of TBSP of coconut oil and the same in GF butter to your coffee and blitz.
    It makes it so much easier to get more fat in. You can do it to green tea too.
    But this has to be in context - maybe you shouldn't be having coffee? if you have adrenal issues?

remember that gut issues and hormones are inter related. Everything is connected.

are you sure your fat mass index number is correct? If it is a scale you have at home - my understanding is they aren't all that accurate.

It doesn't sound right to me......

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  20. caroline

caroline Moderator

There are a fair few Aussies here! We have pretty specific issues here because of the donut hole in the ozone. Dr. Kruse goes into a lot of detail for us in that thread I mentioned.

There is a lot of stuff to get thru here and some of it is pretty tough going unless you have a science degree.

As Dr. K. has told me .... you don't have to understand Chinese to enjoy Chinese food.

Just make sure you are doing epi paleo and C/T ... and limiting your non native EMF exposure and getting a lot of sunshine and grounding. It is the concepts that you want to get a good grasp of and your understanding will improve down the track.
    I read something now that I read a year or two ago and go ... so that's what he meant! It happens to all of us. Remember that Dr. K. is 8-10 years ahead of us,

Have you listened to the free podcasts? they are a huge help.......and the webinars and follow up Q&A....