1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Hacking occasional sleeping problems

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Butters, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

Here is my problem. I generally have a very good sleep. My sleep recovered to being totally refreshing and Im up in the morning without coffee.
    But in the last time I have these single nights, when I dont change anything in my environment but I cant simply fall asleep.
    Im tired and want to close the eyes but then there come many thoughts in my mind and my mind is stirred up somehow. So I cant really fall asleep.
    The next problem is when I indeed not fall asleep for a time. Then a cycle in my mind is activated thats going such like:

"I have so and so time to sleep until I have to wake up -> thinking I need to fall asleep soon -> I dont fall asleep -> time shortens and I get nervous - cycle begins again"

So I think this is a mind driven cortisol issue with me.

How can I hack that I dont even come to that issue? Experiences?

What can I do when I realize the cycle is starting again?

So far I avoided lighting a candle again and read because of the light, but would that be a good idea?

Can you help me out here?

One additional fact. I had the last bad nights on full moon and one night before new moon. I never had issues with the moon, I think.

2. Inger

Inger Silver

Have you tried to exercise "being in the now"?

If I have this issue, and anxiety issues laying in bed trying to sleep, it has helped so much to just let go of the past and the future, and just be.. in the now... because then all is good, and it helps so much to relax!
    The thoughts makes you not be able to relax.

Try if you can just silence your head/mind. It is like meditation.
    Consciously relax your belly, breath deep, relax. If you get really bad feelings, just go deeper into them... let yourself fall deeper and feel it even more. Do not try to push the feelings away. When I have done this, the pain has magically disappeared.

And if you cant sleep right away, just relax with it! Just lie there in the dark, relax, and enjoy the silent, cozy darkness.. it is awesome too, and helps regenerate you, even if you do not sleep.
    And when you do that, you will eventually fall asleep.

Evenings in bed are really not the right time to solve any issues ;) You can do that in the morning if you must, it is way better, your mind is clear and fresh and better solutions will come. Remaind yourself of that. Because it is true :). And try to do not try too much to solve issues with your mind, but with the heart and belly instead.

Meditation.

3. Butters

Butters New Member

Thank you for your words. I tried so far deep breathing in the belly, but somehow I cant get this feeling in the stomach go away. The feeling is not because of problems I think, it is because I know that bad sleep equals bad function the next day.
    Jack Kruse wrote in the paleo fx something about 3min of bodyweight exercises prior to bed, I sometimes try that but only when I cant fall asleep. So far it didnt work out. I get more calm indeed but not so far I fall asleep.

4. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Alexander Wunsch in one of his videos mentions that he thinks we need more than 8 hours of darkness. Now that the days are getting shorter, I'm allowing 10 hours of darkness as "sleep opportunity", and I don't have a clock anywhere in view. I'm going to push that to 12 hours by winter solstice. It works for me because it takes the pressure off getting to sleep within a rigid time frame- there's plenty of time to fall asleep and still get the right number of sleep cycles in. Even if I go to sleep quickly but wake up for a little while in the middle of the night, the signal is "Its still dark, go back to sleep" not "OMG I'm going to be tired tomorrow/not regenerating/whatever…" If my "inner critic" doesn't know what the time is, or how long I've been awake, but that I've allowed plenty of sleep opportunity, it tends to shut up …. which in turn helps sleep. :)

Another thing I often do is when I'm lying there, I physically smile which relaxes my nervous system, increases my saliva, and I visualise swallowing the smile in the saliva, sending it down to my stomach. My face muscles tell my body I'm feeling happy, safe … and that its OK to go to sleep. :)

5. Butters

Butters New Member

Hm. Thanks for the answers. I think the best thing is to wind down a time before bed for me.
    The clock trick is very wise I think.
    But have you ideas when you are in the cycle of not falling asleep. I mean I can try my best to wind down before, but in case it doesnt happen, what would be best to do?

6. Questions

Is your room totally blacked out? ie you cant even see your hand
    What lights are in your living room before you go to sleep?
    what clothes do you wear in your house before you sleep?
    How long before you sleep do you eat and what does this usually comprise of?
    What is your living arrangements? Apartment/ house?
    What is in the general area? city/ rural?...what is surrounding you
    What do you do in the morning around the IR/UVA tansition?
    Where are you at sunrise?

drezy and Phosphene like this.
  7. Inger

Inger Silver

After addressing all above... and winding down a couple hours before bed in as dark as it gets, and you still have occasional nights with less sleep. I would just not stress about it.

Sometimes seldom, my sleep is really weird too, and I really do not know why. Or I know why, but could not change the circumstances.
    I have learned to just not stress about it. I just lie there in the dark and cold, watch the stars and feel cozy.
    One night of less sleep, spent in silent darkness, is not a big problem. If it happens more often, and sleep is regularly bad, then it is a real problem.
    Just do not look at a watch or stress about it. I do not have a watch in my bedroom at all, so I never know how late or early it is..lol On purpose! Bedroom is for me clock free zone! When it starts to get a little light, I wake up. I do not use curtains, so I can go with the natural dawn, which I really really love :) :)

That is what I do. Of course, if you know you have done things that disturbs sleep, then you know the reason and can change it. It is different.

drezy and Phosphene like this.
  8. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

There is a fabulous practice done at the end of some traditional yoga classes called Yoga Nidra (sleep) where you lie down on the floor on your back, cover with a blanket (and sometimes eye mask), do several minutes of guided tensing and releasing of muscles from tips of toes to top of head, then a brief full body guided relaxation and a few minutes of silent stillness. The whole thing lasts about 12-15 minutes and is intended to create a blissful state of ‘almost asleep’ where the body and mind can assimilate the benefits of the preceding practice.

Folks range from antsy anxious “why are we just lying here, I have stuff to do” to flat out sleeping and snoring. The snoring ones must be gently awakened to not disturb the others. They are generally dumbfounded that they fell asleep in a few minutes, on the floor, in a room full of people, in the middle of the day. The anxious ones usually catch on but sometimes they can’t handle being in silent stillness with their minds, and don’t come back.

In the style of yoga I practice (Integral) there is another period of deep breathing and silent meditation at the end. It is transformative, but a big time commitment at 90 minutes per class. I highly recommend it, but if you can’t spare the time you can still do the Yoga Nidra before sleep to quiet the body/mind. There are many good free recordings out there, and some not so good ones as well. I’ll try to find one but maybe you can do a search and the perfect one will come. You can even make this into a fun thing to do with your wife and daughter if you all go to bed at the same time.

If you can find a teacher near you even better, even for just an introduction. I forget where you are in Germany, but here is a worldwide directory. Namaste.

http://integralyoga.org/directory/

drezy likes this.
  9. Butters

Butters New Member

I almost fixed the things. Therefore I say my sleep is generally very good.
    One thing can be that the days I dont fall asleep my sleeping room (I sleep in the living) seems more bright. Light from outside gets in. I can hack that with letting blueblockers on despite lights are out and when putting them down close the eyes / letting them on till I realize I will fall asleep soon.
    But the thing I experience and that disturbes most is this akward gut feeling like Im excited. When I get that fixed I can calm down.
    But I need not to know what to do before, but more of a hack when I have that feeling coming and I cant fall asleep.

10. Inna

Inna Platinum

I know the feeling! You need to distract your mind into thinking of something else; i usually turn one of Dr Jacks seminars or better yet one of his blogs in poket app in a ‘speak’ mode - puts me right to sleep,

Phosphene, Jim Laird and drezy like this.
  11. ...a hack you might try is masturbating or having sex and orgasming as this will shut down your dopamine and kick in your prolactin.

Your blue blockers dont fix the problem...as per the patreon blogs and Vermont 2018 the melanopsin in your skin/adipocytes (that were only recently discovered) is not letting u create the optimal amount of malantonin. If you have ambient light your sleep will be 1. crap 2. broken or 3. you will awake tired. Also as said in my questions i posed i asked what type of lights you had in your environment....but you didnt clarify so this leaves out a major piece to your puzzle. I used to be like this until i took appropriate measures to mitigate such and to be honest in my 48 years of life i have only just started sleeping a proper nights sleep 5 months ago....before that i did not sleep well. Read the blogs and you will envisage your own solutions to your personal situation from the knowledge you acquire.

Phosphene and drezy like this.
  12. Butters

Butters New Member

This is what I do, but I wanna go away from the minimal screen brightness too. Because I have only a smartphone I have to put the blueblockers back on and shut it off, when I wanna sleep. It makes me sleepy but I think creates a bad habit.

13. Butters

Butters New Member

The ambient lightening is only as strong as I can barely see my hands. But maybe thats too strong too. But as I say, this wasnt the problem months ago and when I fall asleep I generally have no problems at all.
    I wear long clothes from sunset on, before bed only candles + blueblockers the whole evening. Eating is min. 3,5hrs before sleeping time, mostly 4-5hrs. I fixed this and it fixed a bunch of problems. I see the earliest sun I can get from my window in the morning every morning - sun is still orange. The AM UV window is a better question, that needs to be fixed. Right now is autumn here in germany so I dont pay as much attention as in the summer time. I try to avoid every fake light during the day and try to get every hr sunlight into my eyes.

14. drezy

drezy New Member

Simon just put an elephant in your room.

15. Jim Laird

Jim Laird Gold

Thanks for the pocket app suggestion. I've had some issuesses getting to blogs on the app it pulls up password on dr. Kruse web sit and dones't take the passward. Have you had this issue?

Thanks