1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Hack my Thyroid Labs

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Souldanzer, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Received my T3 in the mail and took 6.25mcgs in the AM and at noon. I felt.... nothing.

I guess I will move on to a full capsule tomorrow split into two doses (25mcgs total).

2. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Don't rush it, Souldanzer. Try to add a 3rd dose of 6.25 mcg before you go up to 25 mcg.

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Might be a good idea. I took half a 25mcg cap this AM and going to do a quarter one at noon. Right now I feel good :)

4. I agree w/ Destiny. If you feel good but then start to feel sluggish/hypo again you can add the third dose or up the second dose after 4-7 days. I think you can keep upping it about that same time period. But one thing you want to keep in mind is that if you are clearing rT3 it will take 8-12 weeks to get it out of your system. In the mean time those rT3 guys are clogging up your T3 receptors. I'm having a little fogginess this morn but I think you can go hyper during this time because you body may not know what to do with all that T3 since the receptors are already full.

After five months on T3 only I have yet to go hyper but I am very careful in my dosing. I always suggest taking the vitals like HR, BP, temp to help determine if another dose or raise is best. My BP and HR go up when I need a dose or a raise. I tracked it every hour for the first month or so just to make sure. I wanted to clear that rT3 ASAP! It's all gone now!

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Thx, Patty. I guess I'm not sure how I'm going to clear my rT3 since it's not from thyroid meds.... it's from my own body producing it. So I need to read up a bit more on what causes rT3 to be made but I think it's got to do with inflammation (what does not) and also might be a remnant of AN for me. I think I asked this question a while ago and someone posted an answer on this thread.... gotta go back and look for it.

I need to do a lot of reading these days! Kinda backed up on things. Still finishing the last blog.

6. I know what ya mean about backed up on reading! I know there must be other things that rT3 comes from but I only know dysfunctional adrenals and iron issues. Here's my mini explanation: Your body makes some T3 on it's own and also makes it from converting T4. I believe most of this is done in the liver. So if your body is having adrenal issues, for example, some of the T4 gets converted to rT3 which your cells take up but you do not get the benefits from like you would when the cells take up T3. I hope that makes sense since my brain is having it's own set of issues this morning in the functioning realm.

I haven't perused this site but I have the author's book and it has been helpful in working with and understanding taking T3. But his site may have some info for you.

http://recoveringwitht3.com/

7. Destiny

Destiny New Member

What is confusing for me is that some people go on natural dessicated thyroid after clearing rT3. Don't you need to stay on T3? I would think once you start supplementing both T4 and T3, the situation with rT3 would repeat, no?

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

not if you fix the underlying reason for why it is turned into T4

9. Destiny

Destiny New Member

That makes sense but my reason is not that obvious. I don't have an adrenal fatigue, my ferritin is at a lower end but still functional for doing its job with T3. Not sure what else... maybe my dysfunctional hormones?

10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I think inflammation iirc and probably a thousand other things ;)

I'm checking my B6 status b/c that can cause hypo, too. Well, I'm checking it for other reasons really but htat's one thing it can cause.

11. Yes it can repeat if you don't fix the cause. I know a lot of the T4 gets converted to T3 in the liver so I am curious if the liver is a culprit too in the making of too much rT3.

You can stay on T3 only but you are not fixing the problem. I think after you fix the underlying cause then you can decide which medication route you want to take, T3 only or NDT.

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

The liver makes sense as well. Many of us have an elevated FBS and that is the liver too. It is all connected but not easy to figure it out. Dr. K told me fix my thyroid, hormones and get some DHEA, metformin - in that order. So that is what I am working on.

13. You go girl! That's all good stuff. I've been working with my thyroid for 5 years, 3 with meds and hormones a bit but not enough. I have a head start on the thyroid for sure. My thyroid seems to be good, hormones need a little help, my DHEA is finally good, pregnenolone is good, and the IGF-1 sucks!!! I may have found a doc close to me. I'm afraid Dr. K will be out of reach for me right now price-wise since I will have to add a cross country round trip plus hotel (don't want to kill my adrenals) in addition to his fee. This doc is not cheap but definitely less expensive than the Cenegenics people.

14. Destiny

Destiny New Member

You are on your way, Patty Cakes :D!! I hope your new doc works out for you! I also wish to have unlimited funds to spend on Dr. K. I don't but I am thankful that I could have a consult with him.

I don't know much about IGF-1. Can you bring it up like you did with DHEA and etc? If that is the only piece you are missing now, you should have it in a bag too!

I admire that you persisted for so many years with your thyroid. If I did not find this forum and you, I would probably sucked it up and tried to live with my foggy brain and constant fatigue!

15. IGF-1 is the lab test to determine the amount of growth hormone in the body. I am really low. DHEA per the blog, is supposed to help but I don't feel any different. I think I may need to test again and see if the DHEA did anything or if I need to go another route. The other route includes an expensive test and injections (I think) of growth hormone. Doesn't sound like a fun proposition but if my body needs it....

When I didn't feel well, I couldn't do much and my life changed. I used to be very active and starting to get there again but not quite yet. Slowly. I treated myself for 2 of the three years. Massive research and common sense took me in the right direction. We all know now how much it takes on our end to be educated on the issues we have before we go see the doc. And to think I'm still researching!!!

16. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Again, you would need a doctor that will be on the board to give you the growth hormone injections. Hopefully, your new doctor will be open minded!!!

Anytime, you talk about your health problems and symptoms, it almost sounds like mine. That is why I am learning so much from your experiences.

I started searching and learning last fall. My activity level took a nose dive and I started to panic. At that time, I could not comprehend how my grandma was able to live to 97. I was thinking at that time, 47 more years of this misery? How I am going to survive this? Now, I am relieved that my state was not a normal state at 50! I will be able to enjoy my life to 97 or more:)!

17. Yes we do have similar situations from everything I have read from you. So keep up that attitude great Destiny and you will live past 97!!!

18. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

So I think I've been on the T3 now for 6 days and I'm taking 25mcgs split in two doses. I feel....nothing. I've been taking my BP and HR and they are both dropping. I'm down to around 90/50 at rest with an HR of 45-52, depending of how long I've been sitting.

I am *thrilled* that my blood pressure and heart rate have come down. It was one of the things that brought me to Dr K's blog..... those two were rising at a fast rate during my AN recovery and while I was still "normal" (up to 135/85 at my docs! with HR of around 79!) at home it was better but still not "normal" for me. My docs kept telling me that now I am "normal" aka not eating disordered vitals anymore. But I felt like crap like that. Not well at all. Even my heart palpitation lately have been improving which we never found a reason for really. Dr K said it's an imbalance between my sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system caused by my brain injuries. I think he's correct on that. B/c as I keep eating epi-paleo, my vitals are going back to where they used to be, I'm not feeling so much on edge anymore with a racing heart and I rarely have my heart thumping in my chest so hard at night that I can't sleep. I'm also following my cards' instructions now and adding electrolytes to everything I drink.

So I don't know if my vitals are a good way for me to measure whether or not I'm taking the appropriate amount of T3. Temp doesn't appear to be a good way either b/c my temp has been quite good before.... 98.2 wake up, then rising throughout the day, hitting 98.6 usually in the mid morning, and going up to 99.2 in the afternoon, then dropping back down for the night.

Do I up my daily amount since I feel nothing? I certainly do not feel hyper. Is hyper what I'm looking for so that then I can drop it back down a bit?

19. You don't want to get to hyper. You want to have good vitals and that is an individual thing so good to you is different from me. 117/70 BP and heart rate of 70 is great for me. My temp usually is 98.5 in the afternoon (which will be your highest reading, usually). My temp used to be 94.5-96.0 consistently. I was always cold. The T3 only really heats me up. I really don't know what to tell you except that 25 mcg is a really low dose for someone to be on all the time. I've heard people being on as low as 38mcg and it works for them (people who monitor and know what they are doing) but I also know people who are on 150 mcg with doc's supervison. Then there is the general area most people are at of 72 mcg-120 mcg. I'm at 85 right now and think I may have hit my sweet spot. I feel good most days. Just switched brands so have to give it a week or so to make sure. So basically I gave some guidelines. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

20. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Thanks, Patty. This one is also hard for me b/c of my brain not functioning well. Hard to tell if I feel better or not when my head is hurting and foggy as it is most of the time. Today I just feel tired - had a good night's sleep and then I'm awake for maybe an hour or two and then I'm exhausted again. I have no idea what to look for. Maybe my BP is actually too low. My ayurvedic doc said I'm hypo b/c of my low heart rate. I think I'm going to keep going up little by little and just watch for how I'm feeling.