1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Hack my Thyroid Labs

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Souldanzer, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I also started low on T3 (but couldn't tolerate it) and then when I switched to Armour, started on only 1/4 grain. Some might say that was too low but I think it has been helping. I saw a 20% increase in free T3 after being on 1/4 grain Armour for a month but am still low so we are now doubling it.

2. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

older labs:

08/07/2006

no TSH

Free T3 266 Range 230 - 420

Free T4 1.0 Range 0.8 - 1.8

doc puts me on 1 grain Armour

8/30/2007

TSH: 2.770 Range 0.465 - 4.680

different doc confiscates my Armour :(

12/10/2009

TSH: 2.808

12/02/2011

TSH: 1.660 Range 0.450 - 4.500

couple of months or so after starting leptin reset

08/06/2012

TSH........ 3.66 Range 0.36 - 3.74 uIM/ml

preceded by high dose iodine supplementation w/o selenium supps

Free T4......1.07 Range 0.76 - 1.46 ng/dl

Free T3...... 2.41 Range 2.18 - 3.98 pg/ml

reverse T3........ 225 Range 90 - 350 pg/ml

Antibody Panel:

Thyr Perox Ab....... 26.4 Range 0.0 - 35.0 IU/ml

Thyroglob Ab......... < 20.0 Range 0.0 - 40.0 IU/ml

I feel like something is a little amiss. My TSH was steady or dropping as I was moving along in my AN recovery. I get it that my earliest labs that don't show TSH but only free T3 and T4 are kinda sad - but I was still really really sick with my eating disorder during that time.

Then comes along high dose iodine supplementation and suddenly my TSH goes sky wards? Been reading here http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/05/iodine-and-hashimotos-thyroiditis-part-i/ and apparently TSH can rise with high dose iodine.... and I went up to 150mg/day rather suddenly. Over a couple of weeks. The test was drawn a few days after I lowered it again I think. I think I lowered it to 50mg/day. Then stopped b/c of confusion whether or not I should be taking iodine. The link also talks about high-dose iodine supplementation increasing TPO antibodies and that it will go away if iodine is stopped. They talk about a link between selenium deficiency/excess and this reaction (elevated TSH and antibodies).

I get it, one can acquire Hashi's at any time pretty much if we expose ourselves to gut damaging substances (is that correct?). So I guess I could have acquired it between December '11 and August '12. That is possible. A bit unlikely considering that I was taking the high dose iodine right before this test? Without supplementing selenium?

Dr K said no need to supplement selenium b/c of my seafood-rich diet. But I had anorexia for..... so long. Maybe I still am deficient?

How valid really is this thyroid antibody panel considering the "unusual" TSH result relative to my TSH history and in combination with my (very) high-dose iodine supplementation right before the test?
    I did take a few selenium pills during that time..... but stopped b/c of allergic reaction.

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

thanks, Shiloman. I have to re-read those blogs looking for that info in particular. Brain is still not cooperating with the reading thing. My cortisol overall is fine, not optimal, but okay. I do have low T3 but I don't understand how that would actually cause an elevation in rT3 - wouldn't it be an effect?

P/E ratio is bad. Score on that. But probably getting better as I am taking progesterone now.

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

There was a post by Patty on here that got eaten by the Post Monster the other day.... talking about B6 needed for conversion of T4 to T3..... anyone?

B6 conversion issues are associated with anorexia somehow I don't remember why and how. I can't take the P-5-P version b/c of my allergies. Well, I found a sublingual yesterday that I might be able to tolerate in small amounts.... so I'm giving it a shot. But I think there is a distinct possibility that I have a B6 problem, actually. Considering I've been taking NT support that uses up B6 I might have been creating a problem.... I was supplementing regular B6 b/c it's the only one I can tolerate (a little at a time).

I'm looking into getting the spectracell nutrient testing done again.... considered that a while ago and then decided I was just going to eat right. But it will show B6 and selenium and some other interesting things.

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

My bottle says B6 to P-5-P conversion requires zinc, B2 and mag. Zinc and mag might be the issue here for me.... possibly still zinc... mg appears to be borderline fixed by now.

6. jib

jib New Member

Soul, not to throw a monkey wrench in the middle here, but have you been following the cycloset FBG thread? Did you say you have some high fasting #'s sometimes?

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

not too closely.... my FBG used to be in the high 90ties up to 110.... if I didn't eat right away or exercised before eating it would go into the 120ties. I've stopped testing b/c the strips are expensive and they kept showing the same thing. My last lab test came back at a fasting glucose of 76 at about an hour after rising to I decided to drop the worry then. No idea what it's doing on a daily basis. I guess I should get another bottle of test strips.

I guess I'll look into the thread. I'm not sure what it's got to do with thyroid. My blood sugar level has a lot to do with how much I eat (I eat a lot of cals) as I was eating less for a few weeks in Europe and it immediately went down into normal ranges. And it also has to do with whether or not I'm binging and purging. Just one b/p will make it sky rocket for a couple weeks or so.

8. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I'm interested to see what Jack tells you about Spectracell. I had it done late last year and the results made me think I was doing great with Vit D3 but then I realized their values are a percentage compared to a control that is considered "optimal." I scored 69% on Spectracell D3 with a reference range greater than 50%, but a few months later a blood test showed I was at 43. So now I'm rather skeptical/confused about how to interpret the Spectracell results since there's no way to tell what they consider to be optimal.

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

that is actually one of my concerns about this kinda testing..... just like the telomeres and lots of others

I guess my goal here would be to see if I am grossly deficient in something.... even compared the the "average population". I'd say vitamin D is maybe a bit of a special case..... since we use a different range as Optimizers. Your D was in fact good compared to what I am seeing in some friends..... I had a bet with someone that his D was going to be deficient, even in CW terms and he said can not be I'm outside everyday. Guess what.... I won the free dinner.

10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Anybody else ever throw a fit about the screen between Dr K and you b/c really what you want to do is shoot him one of *those* looks, walk off with a pouting face and say I'm gonna do it anyways???

I want it all and I want it now dammit :eek:

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

you can do what ever you like......you asked what you should do.......can does not equal should. Your mileage may vary with your anger.

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

not really angry at you I was kinda joking.... well, sometimes it bugs me that I'm stuck with my reaction to your answer but that doesn't make the answer invalid. It's more like I'm angry at my situation and I want it solved now and then I'm being told to wait.... which You're right, that's my choice whether or not I'm going to wait.

I guess I don't understand your reasoning here.... are you saying if I have a or various gross nutritional deficiencies that's not important right now? What is it not important for.... my road to optimal final destination or how I live my life today?

B/c how I live my life today is kinda important to me. Very important. I'm only going to live today once and once tomorrow rolls around today is going to be lost. I do want to enjoy the journey and not be too focused on the destination so I want to do what I can to make that journey enjoyable - now. I know you (and some of my significant others as well) tell me to not overwhelm myself.... well, you people all have no idea what I am capable of. None of you has ever had the kind of ED I had. It makes you tough. Very tough. We're some of the toughest people you will ever meet imo. I might face plant and I might cry out loud and I might complain and yell and scream and cry. And then I go to sleep cut my losses and start over tomorrow. I've crashed so often that crashing or failure doesn't mean much to me anymore. I count my successes at the end of the day and lately there has been a whole lot of plenty in that department. I don't care if I throw up once after a stressful medical procedure.... who cares, I used to live with my head in the toilet without any obvious stress. I usually see when the red flags for overwhelm go up or someone will tell me and then I take a breather. Willingly.

What do I need to do to show you that I *can* handle it all.... that in fact, that is the approach I *need* b/c I've had a life of waiting so far.... waiting to get better - sound familiar?

I'm sorry :( Not angry at all. Just..... lost.

And underneath I feel like you'd have exactly the same reaction as I'm having here.... in fact, I know that you would b/c that's how you fixed yourself. You didn't wait for a thing to happen. You just went about attacking it all at once pretty much. Maybe with some advanced physician wisdom thrown into the mix.

May I be done waiting? Or will you explain to me the reason *why* I need to keep waiting?

13. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

No need to show me - I am totally convinced you can handle anything and everything. You truly are fully living life every day, not just going through the motions. You keep getting stronger and more motivated and you get back on track faster after a misstep. All I see for you is positive.

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

well, I might not have gotten an answer here but I got the answer I needed anyways.

JK FB inspirations today

I'm at odds with this so much b/c my inner guru is telling me different on some things.... and the things I have done so far though advised not to - I have gotten useful stuff out of them.

I can see how things getting turned into "b/c Jack told me to do so" is a bit upsetting and incorrect. I think I/we go there when I/we don't understand the why. And in this case I don't understand why I'm being advised to wait. I'd like to b/c I highly value Dr K's input and it helps my inner guru to make good decisions.

15. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Patty or anyone, my doc rx-ed 25mcg/day of T3 and recommended I split this up into two doses, morning and noon. Is this ok? Or should I start with only half a pill at 12.5mcg per day and see how I do with it first? How long do I stay at one dose? I think I read 2 weeks and then raise until I feel well or hyper, then back off?

The compounding pharmacist had an issue with me splitting the pills and suggested I get the exact rx from my doc instead and take two pills a day b/c splitting the pills would be inaccurate. You think that is a concern? Getting less pills at a higher dosage is half as expensive so I stuck with the 25mcg pills.

16. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I tried the first dose of 12.5 mcg and my BP and heart rate shot up. So, I split my pill into four of 6.25 mcg and started to dose at 6.25 mcg twice a day. Then, I tried to go to 6.25mcg x 3 per day five days later and had to back off to a dosing twice a day. I am still there and doing well on it. You need to try it and see what it does to you. Patty Cakes had a good recommendation to watch your BP, HR, temp. and symptoms to judge how your dosing is going.

17. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Thanks, Destiny. I think I will introduce carefully as I'm kinda sensitive.... I think I might not need much at all. I will watch BP, HR, and temp as well.

I'm still unsure about taking this on an empty stomach. I guess the accepted waiting time is one hour after taking the dose but there is no way I will abandon BAB timing right now. There also is no way I will wake up during the night to take my T3 (still trying to fix my sleep!!!). Do you guys think it will be ok if I take my dose sublingually right after waking in the AM and then go and prepare my BAB? Or am I ruining it all that way?

18. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I chew it up good and then wash with water, 2 enzymes and kombucha. Must be getting into my system according to my last lab results. I eat my BAB within 15 min. of taking it. I wouldn't eat dairy but I don't think you do anyway. Will be interesting to hear other's ideas.

19. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I keep my pills by the bed and chew them before I get out of bed. I wake up so often that taking it 30-60 minutes before breakfast is never a problem :(.

20. Sorry I was out of town and then my oral surgery hole got a piece of somethings tuck in it, got infected, and on and on. But no antibitoics here, my body (or me) somehow go it flushed out and now I am just a little chipmunked out but healing very fast! Sorry if that was gross to anyone!

Totally agree with Destiny. Start the first doses out slow and increase as you can. Don't forget to take the vitals (HR, BP, and temp) as they can be indicators of too much or not enough. You are pretty sensitive and may notice things going on in your body w/o the vitals but they usually help. I was weird and my BP would start to climb and get in the high range when it was time for a dose. It took me a while to figure that out and once I did I changed things up a bit and now my BP is normal and HR is down almost 20 pts!!!

Also I take my first dose early in the morning a couple of hours before I wake. It helps to not get it mixing with the HCL, probiotics, and other stuff you may take on an empty stomach. I do all my doses sublingually except for that morning one. I set my alarm and swallow the dose being barely awake and go right back to sleep.