1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Hack my Thyroid Labs

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Souldanzer, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Thyroid Peeps, anybody feel like helping me with this?

TSH........ 3.66 Range 0.36 - 3.74 uIM/ml

Free T4......1.07 Range 0.76 - 1.46 ng/dl

Free T3...... 2.41 Range 2.18 - 3.98 pg/ml

reverse T3........ 225
    Range 90 - 350 pg/ml

Antibody Panel:

Thyr Perox Ab....... 26.4
    Range 0.0 - 35.0 IU/ml

Thyroglob Ab......... < 20.0
    Range 0.0 - 40.0 IU/ml

Dr K said during the webinar that *any* level of antibodies indicates hashi's/AI.... is that any level above range or any level above 0.0?

My TSH went up from 1.6 in December '11. This test was taken a couple weeks after major bout with ED while the previous one was taken after I had not engaged in any ED behaviors for 2 months or so.

I'm guessing I need T3. That was expected. Not sure why the TSH suddenly went up. It's been dropping for years now. I'm going to dig out my older labs. Don't know much about the reverse T3 result either. What's a desired range for that?

Thanks.... any input appreciated :)

2. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Your labs look very much like mine except my FT4 is a bit better. Your ratio is a bit better than mine but not by much. I am taking Cytomel.

Not sure about the antibodies. I had some like you and Dr. K did not comment on them.

3. Your TPO antibodies are so close to the range, if I were you, I would act-as-if and go auto-immune all the way! I think you are doing that already, right? You FT4 s/b in the high middle to top of range and FT3 s/b at the top. You are low in both. Not too bad though in the FT4 but you may not be converting that into FT3 because that is an amount that usually causes tons of fatigue and other issues. For me fatigue always comes first if I am not getting enough meds.

You may be converting that T4 to rT3 as your ratio is 10.7 and should be >20 (http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/rt3-ratio/). The conversion happens in the liver. Still working on understanding that whole process myself.

It looks like you need some thyroid support but that is looking only at the thyroid and not any other issues. If you are low in progesterone, supplementing there helps the thyroid a bit too.

4. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

+1 on what Patty Cakes has said. Looks like you're not converting properly and perhaps the TSH is reacting to that by trying to stimulate the thyroid more? Maybe, since Dr K said they fluctuate a lot, coinciding with a stressful period meant a rise in TSH and a shunting of T4 to RT3? Your RT3 isn't awful, just isn't great either. You're already on a strict A1 protocol, so that's not an issue. Have you had antibodies tested before? It's possible you are actually reducing this number through your diet/CT/etc. Do you already take thyroid support?

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Thanks, everybody.

Can't take Cytomel. Allergic.

Was taking high-dose iodine supplement (up to 150mg/day) for short period right before this test, in December I was only on 12.5mg/day.

Full AI program with occasional deviations of chocolate and nuts.

I am feeling tired. Very tired some days. Can't get out of bed tired.

Just started progesterone.

No thyroid meds at this point.

Wish I would have had this when I had my consult but couldn't wait for the results to come in b/c of TEE coming up so fast.

Yes, I was probably still recovering from my bout with ED a couple weeks before and maybe that elevated the rT3 to some degree.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Great Advice here.......

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

would you clarify the AI issue? Are antibodies only a problem if they are above range or should one consider AI if there is any present at all?

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I"m assuming I'm calling my doc today and ask for T3, correct? How do I approach the dosing? Symptoms at first? Looking for hypo vs hyper reactions?

Thx.

9. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Your situation seems to be very similar to mine. From what I understand, T3-only is the right answer as you don't need more T4 and likely conversion to RT3. You've already tried T3 in the form of Cytomel and couldn't take it. Maybe you could try a generic, but I can tell you based on my experience, that may be a problem. I tried it and had non-stop headaches (my head seems to be my achilles heel so to speak). There is a whole regimen out there on using T3 so you might want to investigate that (http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/dosing-with-t3-only/).

10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

THanks, Lyndra. I can't take any meds not compounded for me so no, I haven't tried Cytomel but I looked up the ingredients and it's a lost cause, like I am sure the generic version is. So I'm going to ask for a compounded T3 rx. Thanks for the link. PCP signed my results off as ok.... you'd think this guy would know better really. But then he kinda warned me and said he wasn't skilled in reading the results.

11. Also I'm not a fan of slow-release, T3 which is often a compounded med. Read about a lot of people having issues with it's "slow release" and staying consistent. I'm sure you already know this but get the T3 regular one. ;)

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Patty I know nothing about thyroid fixing really. I could tell my labs weren't ok and I could tell I needed T3. That's where it ends. And I just realized my PCP isn't going to help me with this other than writing the script. I guess I will need to learn..... so thanks for any input.

13. At least getting a script is better than a lot of people. Just start small, go slow, and watch your vitals (BP, HR, and temp). I've been doing the thyroid battle for five years and T3 only for 4 months and still learning a lot.

Resources: http://recoveringwitht3.com/ and www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Thanks Patty, any idea what starting dose I am requesting and how I'm going to increase it? I'm reading stopthethyroidmadness right now.

15. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

And rT3.... I'm trying to remember all the reasons why it gets elevated. I haven't been taking meds so this comes from somewhere else.... could still be my AN I'm guessing.

16. tweety

tweety New Member

I started compounded T3 in July, and was put on 5mcg for two weeks then bumped to 10. It worked very well, but watch out for the trap of being too low. At first 5 felt great, and 10 even better. But after a few weeks at 10 I was sleepy again. I probably should've bumped up again. I struggled with brain fog alot and completely overlooked the issue of dosing.

Now I am trying NDT. I am still on entry dose, bump up again later this week. Still groggy and not mentally awake. Others feel physically tired or something else entirely. Good luck with it, and maybe these personal experiences shed some light on the subject for you.

17. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Thanks, Tweety. It helps. I need to know what to ask for when I see my PCP or I won't get it. And I need to make sense as well. Trying to read stuff but my brain capacity is still limited.

18. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Per the blogs, rT3 is elevated due to:

high PM cortisol

low AM cortisol

a bad P/E2 ratio

low T3

It seems to always get back to stinking cortisol.

19. What Tweety said sounds right for starting. I switched from NDT to T3 only and already had been on meds for a couple of years so I started higher than that. You want to start low and work your way up. If you start too high and your body goes hyper you will be miserable. Start low and work your way up to the necessary dose.

20. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I'm pretty happy with the naturopath I'm seeing. Every time I see her, I feel we're more in tune. We may not always agree on everything, but I see she is quite knowledgeable and is heading me down the path I think is right. I took in some recent labs yesterday (ferritin, TIBC, etc) and she was able to see a problem that I hadn't been able to fathom. She is also highly responsive via email and gets meds called in promptly (unlike the anti-aging practice I had been going to). She's in your neck of the woods, if you're interested in seeing her. Start-up cost is a little pricey but my office visit yesterday was only $85 which I think is a bargain.