1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Hack My Mud Run Please :)

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Evo Mama, May 3, 2012.

1. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

Hi all! ...

Thanks!

2. Barry

Barry New Member

Evo Mama,

I'll try and help you here. I will say straight off the bat that your nutrition is not really going to be determinant of your performance. Simply, if you haven't trained for it than you cannot expect to run a PB. In order to properly race a 5km, you would need to do a combination of endurance, threshold, tempo, interval and neuromuscular exercise. I hope I'm not stating the obvious here, but doing 1 or 2 miles jog is not going to really going to enhance performance and promote all the various training adaptations need .

In terms of "race day" nutrition, as I mentioned, its not going to make a huge impact. In order for an athlete to properly keto adapt, you are looking at a 24-36month time period. If you want to race at the upper end of your V02 max (i.e. run almost flat out) using fats, your fat adaptation needs to be seriously upregulated by long term ketogenesis, CT and my one (fasted state training). So in your case, given you are recently keto adapting, you may not be able to race using fats as your only fuel, again, it will depend on your pace and speed.

Realised I haven't given you much advice so far but just trying to help you understand ! So racing at 12.30, 5K... in terms of fuel, you will naturally have glycogen in the muscle from preceeding days carb intake, you will have IMTG in the muscle and of course, adipose tissue fats. The energy requirement for a 5km race is not going to be much more than a few hundred calories. Therefore, in terms of "fueling", you will have plently of fuel from the way you currently eat, no additional fuel is required. In terms of your breakfast options, your smoothie or BAB will work fine. Again, for this distance and for the level of fitness/experience you are at, nutrition on the day is not going to dictate your performance. Really, its about what you feel good on and what foods don't give you any GI distress when eaten before a run. Your smoothie sounds good, and maybe the bit of glucose/fructose from the banana and certainly the MCT, will give your liver and muscle some direct sources of ATP.

Ultimately though, just go out and run and enjoy yourself ! Honestly, thats the most important thing to focus on, the type of meat or smoothie you have a couple of hours before the race is not going to make much of a difference. I don't have any breakfast before my 100mile races so I reckon you'll do the 5Km well without any problems ;-)

best of luck

Barry

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Before the race I would eat large meal of protein and fat 12 hours out.......right before the race I would have large cup of hot broth with two large scoops of CO melted in it. After the race I would use the broth trick again or use green tea with CO melted in it......I would also probably eat a pound of bacon post race.

4. Barry

Barry New Member

If you want an added kick right before the race and don't mind a coffee flavoured broth, throw in a double espresso ;-)

5. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

Thanks, gentlemen. I really appreciate all of the information and advice.

Barry - I probably should have mentioned that I'm not really out for a PB (esp. since it's my first mud run, so whatever time I come in at will be a PB, lol), and my main goal is to have fun. That said, fun for me is still kicking a little ass, 'cause I'm competitive in nature.

Definitely going to try the broth with CO/MCT pre- and post-race. Sounds like a solid plan. I'll plan on making some green tea macha for post-race, as well.

I think the plan is to eat sashimi post race, but I'm HIGHLY tempted by the bacon recommendation. ;) I'm also hoping to find a cold body of water to jump into post race to help cool the inflammation. The race is in the Poconos, for those familiar with that area.

Thanks again. I'll post an update after the run!

6. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

I had an amazing run. It was a blast to get dirty and test myself. Your advice was spot on. Can't wait to get home and jump in some icy water, though.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?sexhby

7. Barry

Barry New Member

Glad to hear... Well done !

Enjoy the CT and pound of bacon ;-)

8. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Evo Mama congrats! That sounds like a lot of fun!