1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Guess I'm in

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Peertje80, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

I was waiting for the rains to clear and the wind to pick up, so I could get some kite surfing done. I think it's going to take forever before it will. Rather slow moving depression over head. Might as well start my journal now.

My goal is to improve skin and eyes. Though doubts are still present in me, because I've been told this is as good as gets for a long time.

Anyway I always had skin issues. Rashes, heat rashes with blisters, contact allergy, latex allergy... kinda everything allergy, strange reactions that resulted in big patches of hard skin itching like hell, dry skin, acne, hand eczema, HS. It really is no telling what will come up next. I learned soon dermatologists are quacks.

I was born with strabismus of the left eye. This was corrected surgically at the age of 3. However later in childhood I developed isotropy of the right eye with a double picture. So another surgery was required to fix this at the age of 9. Till today I still have a very poor peripheral sight on the right, a hidden squint, shitty depth perception, sometimes blurred sight with black spots in vision, light sensitive (bright light hurt my eyes) and very tired eyes.

I all ready made some progress:
    • Quite smoking
    • Bought house with garden not far from the sea
    • Vetoed TV from bedroom
    • Went gluten and starch free
    • Be outside more (learned kite surfing)
    • Walk bare feet when ever possible
    • Quite BCP
    So overall I think I'm pretty healthy and happy. But I worry about my persisting skin problems because nobody seems to know what causes it. And that just doesn't sit right by me. At the moment I weigh in at 196lbs standing 6 ft tall like a real Dutch giant. Gained massive amount of weight this winter, because my structured and regular life was interrupted with... well with some people not living any more actually. So if I would loose some weight along the way that wouldn't be too bad either.

So far not such a good start today:
    I woke up at 7:00 AM, walked outside bare feet in my pyjama in the pouring rain to stare at the sky. My neighbour came outside to check on me, concerned something was wrong haha. Village life. I noticed the sky is exceptionally bright, even with the clouds and rain. Then break fast. Usually I have a large appetite, but today I just couldn't eat that much, small can of salmon topping it of with 2 spoons full fat Greek yoghurt. Went to market at 10:00 AM bought some things in the vitamin corner, some nuts to crack and checked in at the DHA counter. Did some house work and some study for exams on the 4th. Totally crashing at 15:30 PM. Forgot to have lunch. Plus we went out to eat yesterday. I accidentally ate some egg noodles. I thought they were rice noodles. I never eat noodles. Why did I do that? Now sun is shining and wind is blowing but no energy left for kite surfing. Maybe after diner.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Rocky and Deverie_Night Owl like this.
  2. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

Yesterday evening after sun down, we made an assessment of our bedroom. After moving we still haven't found time and inspiration to buy curtains. The newspaper we stuck to the windows gave us some privacy but wasn't really blocking out the street lights. So we taped some black garbage bags to the windows to block as much light as possible. With the door closed, it was pretty dark. But we have to buy curtains, there is a lot of light from neighbouring houses, street lights and... lights from the greenhouses about a mile away.

Went to bed at 23:30 and woke up in a panic at 8:30. What time is it? I didn't hear the alarm (well it is Sunday, but I forgot no alarm today). Usually I wake up sometimes during the night to check time. But now I hadn't the slightest idea what time it was with the room being totally dark. Woke up with lots of energy, though with stiff lower back. Guess I'm not used to lay down for 9 hours straight. Wow 9 hours of straight sleep omg.

Walked outside barefeet to stare at the sky. No sun, misty and rainy yet again. Nice intense white sky though. Then break fast: 5 egg nori omelet with mushrooms, parsley, some fresh mackerel and some full fat Greek yoghurt with some nuts with BP coffee.
    Now I have to do some study and wait till southern warm stream will turn north to bring in cold polar air and some decent wind to kite later this day. Some sun would be nice too, but I guess that is too much to ask for.

So I found a new goal: buy curtains stat.

3. Linz

Linz New Member

Welcome Peertje,

To help your skin you need lots of DHA, good water and foods with sulphur (pork/bacon/onions). Balance your vitamin D and A cycles with very careful attention to natural light and seasonal food as well as gluten-free. do have a look at the blogs on sulphated cholesterol and vitamin D if you haven't already read them.

Crossed your post this morning. You seem to have a great grasp of this already!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  4. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

Thank you Linz. I will take a look at sulphated cholesterol stuff. But I have to contain myself and study first for my exams and not spend all my time reading other stuff :oops:.

I think I got the DHA down since a week or 2. Found out I can buy fresh fish just around the corner of my work place. So I'm not taking any lunch to work but buy there. Herring, mackerel, shrimp, salmon, you can get a good meal there for under 5 euros.
    I already eat a fair amount of pork, bacon and unions. Salted herring with raw unions and pickles is how we eat our fish here:). I will post a picture some day.

The good water thing still is a bit fuzzy for me. Our tap water is pretty clean. Well at least they don't add fluoride or chloride to the water. I have to investigate some more to decide if tap water is a no-go. But to be safe I now take 1 litre of mineral water to work everyday. It has a double function, because so much water equals lot of walking to restroom for me. I'm not used to drinking this much. In the morning I drink some cups of coffee and after noon some tea, tap water with meals. But that was it actually. Never really been in to soda's or juices.

Yes I have to be strict about gluten:mad:. Friday nights slippery noodles cost me dearly. It gave me some itchy small blisters on my left foot and intestinal discomfort.

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

welcome Peertje to journal land.....

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

what is your nnEMF at work? at home?

7. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

Thank you caroline.

At work? I don't want to talk about it really. When I started in my current position, my work place was located in an old building in the woods not far from the sea. I worked at ground level with view on the trees. I could even open a window. It was really nice.

However the building didn't meet regulation criteria (go figure), so we had to move. They build a complete new building in the city centre, right next to... a rail road station. Great, right? I now work at the 6th floor, behind a window with no sun screen option. The artificial light above my head is a real pain. Because of my eye problems I see the light vibrate all the time. My complaint about the lighting... well the answer was it meet regulations. And nobody else seem to have any problems with it.

The walls and ceilings are bright white. Even the floors used to be white carpet. I just wanna die within 5 minutes after entering the building, there is so much light. We don't have offices any more but office gardens (as it's dubbed) So I'm in room with more than 60 pc's, twice as much screens and desk phones, cell phones and far tooo many people for my liking. And also as of late, we have company wi-fi across the building. And of course climate control. So were to begin here? Management is scratching their head why sick leave has sky-rocketed since we moved. My hand eczema started just a few weeks after the move. I never really considered it to be the cause till recently. But when I think of it, it was a quite noticeable event. Though I have many skin issues, I never had eczema.

We once had a power failure in the building. Everything was turned off. Such a quiet and peaceful experience *sigh*. I was amazed how much of difference it made to the senses.

But it is not all bad. I'm a 'child' from a newer generations. My application to work from my own home has been granted some months ago. So I can now work at home 2 days a week and I only have to visit the hell hole 3 days a week.

At home all pc's and gadgets are located in one room with cabled internet. We have wi-fi but I can (and do) turn it of easy. Dutch building law requires all houses have grounded electrical systems. So I think I'm save, but don't really know. I read about the smart meter thing, but I don't think it is an issue here (yet). We have an old fashion meter with the turning discs system (I don't know its technical name). I can disconnect every room separately from the net. I live on the edge of a village. I know of one small cell tower about a kilometre away. So at home, relatively ok, I think.

8. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

While reading abput your office garden (what an insult to gardens) I wpndered about plants. Would they allow you to bring some?
    I work in a gloomy building wjth 3 wifi routers directly on my floor and apartment bujldjngs all around. Some 50 systems looking in,dect phone any electrjcal gizmo the boss can think of. Home is near 3 rooftop antennas yet I feel a whole lot better when at home. I venture that this js due to the trees jn front of my house and the ivy that completely covers it. I have an action point to investigate this when my new tablet arrives next week hopefully. So plants maybe if only to break up the "whiteout"

9. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

Well home always feels better then work;) O yes plants would be nice. I don't know why they didn't put the plants back in. I guess it was a money issue. We have to cut back tight at the moment. We're not past the financial crisis in our sector yet :eek:

10. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Bring your own ?

Hilde likes this.
  11. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

Yes that would be the obvious solution. However we have a clean desk policy... which means anything that is left on your desk or elsewhere is tossed in the bin without excuse. If you commit a second offence you have to explain yourself at facilities office. Kinda harsh and completely uncalled for, but those are the rules. Of course it would totally mess things up if you brought something personal to work:p

Maybe I better start looking for a different job :confused: Well I like my job actually only the environment not so much.

12. shah78

shah78 Gold

Clint Eastwood enjoyed a more pleasant,low key atmosphere in Escape From Alcatraz. :)

Peertje80 likes this.
  13. caroline

caroline Moderator

There is a video somewhere about a huge office complex somewhere in Europe ....they had trees and plants everywhere!
    Maybe someone will remember where that is hopefully

Your work environment is a complete nightmare ..... Your health will likely only get much worse there ....is it worth it?

14. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

Well... eh... thank you. It is a nightmare, isn't it? Is it worth it? For the time being, but I know I have to get out. Better sooner then later. My co-workers are all about 10 or 20 years older then me. They all suffer something chronic. There is no healthy specimen left. At this point changing careers is not in my cards. But I have taken steps to go forward.

I all ready had to change careers once before. I was a trained and licensed nurse. When I was 21 I suffered a herniated disc in my lower back after a work accident. I can say I recovered fully, with exception of a ever so slight limp. However going back is sadly not an option.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

JK will tell you nursing is not a good choice ....... a really bad choice in fact.......

16. Linz

Linz New Member

Peertje,
    You seem to have a really good grasp of what you need to do for yourself. If your management are already thinking about the sick leave problem can you make some suggestions to them to improve the environment? Plants, better circadian lighting control, perhaps some stand up desks for back issues etc. With your nursing training perhaps they might listen although I know it is not easy!! My DH works in a big city office and they make regular inspections to make sure no-one has opened a window. Like your company the consequence is rather like a small boy being sent to see the headmaster. Good to hear you will be able to work at home a couple of days.

17. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

Well it turned out to be not the best choice for me at least. But I'm curious to know why it would be a bad choice? A side the fact that shift work is involved.

Thank you Linz. Maybe I could yes. I will give it try and put in some suggestions. In my line of work they should be extra interested in promoting health. Though complaints about the ambiance, climate control and lighting fall on deaf ears some how. We already have standing desks. But they are kinda silly ... not made for 6ft people. Ergonomically it is quiet all right. So it is not all bad.

Yes like school kid exactly. Strange way to handle employees. What is DH standing for? Couldn't find that abbreviation :oops:

18. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

So today was Kingsday. The 1 day in the year everybody in the Netherlands goes totally bananas dressed in orange. And it is a day off from work. Yeah!

I set alarm at 7:00 AM. Run down the other room to check wind status on my phone. Nothing... again. So went back to bed, but I was wide a wake. No use to stay in bed.
    Put chair in outer corner of the garden, ate break fast and sipped coffee in the sun. Yes the sun was shining! After 30 minutes I went inside. The wind picked up so it started to get chilly.

At 10:30 AM at the beach. Setting up gear, ready to fly. Spoke with a young bald male. He was a beginner and it was his first session for this year. I asked where his cap, shoes, gloves and earplugs were. I got a blank face reply. He didn't need it because he doesn't kite surf in winter. At this point I wanted to slap him in the face. Spring hasn't started yet at sea. Northern polar wind, 48 degrees air temperature with a water temperature to match and a wind chill of 39. Not really Brazilian summer time circumstances. He was gonna give it try anyway.

Drank 1/2 litre of cold water and went in with summer suit, no cap, no gloves, no shoes. Had husband keep an eye out. Set my timer at 30 minutes. Practised some back rolls which I landed face down flat in the water. I couldn't finish the 30 minutes kiting. The cold wasn't too bad. I actually had pretty warm feet, but my right hand went numb from wind chill. So I stopped.

When I was warming up I saw the bald beginner returning to the kite landing zone. He walked like he was totally drunk. I went downstairs to go check on him, but he already passed out. He had kiters brain freeze. He was longer in the water then me. Because he is a beginner, he was in the rip tide washer the whole time. Going under water more then staying above. After a few seconds he woke up. He was nauseous and had wobbly legs. We put a cap on him and an emergency blanket. Warmed him up with tea. He was just fine, but hopefully learned his lesson not to mess about in this cold untrained and unprepared. Though it looks like summer, it is not.

zomer not.jpg

b612 likes this.
  19. caroline

caroline Moderator

DH = Dear Husband

nursing ...... shift work, operating room, tons and tons of nnEMF!! JK has to do extraordinary things because of his day job!

shift work should be a deal breaker for everyone!

Rocky likes this.
  20. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

So today no sun gazing. It was pouring down with hail and 34 degrees out side . I thought it was spring...

Went for BP and heart rate check up to my MP today. Last year I had a kiting accident. Went to see MP, ended up being rushed to hospital by ambulance because of suspicion of internal bleeding. I felt fine, just had a terrible pain on the right side. Well apparently I had a very slow heart rate, like 45 beats a minute and an immensely high blood pressure. Today my resting heart rate was still not so good with only 49 beats. BP was right on the mark 120/80. MP is pushing to direct to cardiologist to find cause since I'm not a professional endurance athlete and blood work didn't show anything. But I'm not feeling any negative effects, not dizzy or anything. Maybe I should decaffeinate first before going all medical? I drink quiet all lot of coffee. Should I even worry. I mean do I belong to the group "could drop dead suddenly"? Can you get slow heart rate from meditating? I don't know. Maybe sleep on it for a while first.