1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Growing your own

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Lyndra, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Here's a thought-provoking article. A whole fleet of 747s exists to transport New Zealand kiwi fruit to the US.

http://innerself.com/content/social-a-political/trends/8322-going-local-cutting-out-the-transportation.html

Are you growing or raising more of your own food? This year was not a great growing season for us - virtually no rain and record heat. I put in the cole crops too late and the bugs ate more kale than we did. That tomato plant is going gret guns but I'm avoid nightshades. At least the squash are doing well and something we both eat.

I'm starting to plan ahead for next year, though, and hope someday (after I convince the hubby) to get some chickens. Oh and maybe a goat or two but that will require a lot of convincing...

2. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I'm drowning in kale and am not supposed to eat it b/c of possible AI hashi's. Come by and get some. The roomie is turning green.

3. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Why is kale bad for AI/Hashi's? My thyroid antibodies are low but arthritis is acting up so I'm starting the AI protocol. Today is day 1 without eggs :(.

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

goitrogens/cruciferous veggie me thinks?

5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Toms were a total failure again this yr. salad greens did well. Kale/collards and broccoli are up ready for fall harvest. Well be planting more for winter here soon. Last fall/winter we didn't buy kale or collards. I'm tempted to try cabbage this fall/winter as well.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

not true.........

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

where'd I get that from then.... so I can eat my boatloads of kale?

8. Coriander

Coriander Silver

I don't know.... Kale is cabbage, it just doesn't form a head.

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

in my world kale is a cruciferous.... and it definitely has goitrogens.

10. Endless

Endless Guest

I am gardening again this year after an extended break. I have a bumper crop happening, but since I've started down this road I don't know how much of it I will be actually using!

I have so many tomatos all my plants have collapsed, I have awesome carrots and beets, red cabbage and brussel sprouts, green beans, potatos, winter squash, parsley, corn, onions, kohlrabi.....

BUT, I am doing the AI protocol at least until I get confirmation (or not) of Hashimoto's, so most of it is off limits:(

I am still completely confused about the cole crops as well.....can I eat my cabbage and brussel sprouts as long as they are cooked? And kale....

11. Birdy

Birdy New Member

This has been a great year for tomatoes, and all the squashes.

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I tried - no harvest but the local deers look very healthy after all that yummy vegetables.

I swear they check my garden every day! I will have to come up with some inclosed fencing of my vegetable garden.

13. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

My garden has tons of summer squash, green beans, kale, and tomatoes. I was only eating the kale, but now it seems it's off limits as well.