1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Growing Pains.... and the Gut

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by RiverNeighbor, Nov 4, 2012.

1. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

My daughter is having growing pains. Specifically pains in her legs in the middle of the night. I'm convinced that it is gut related.... She does have gut issues and as we work on them I notice that the growing pains come when something impacts the gut situation (like eating a food that she's sensitive to).

Anyone have any thoughts / resources / ideas? My initial research hasn't really found anything useful.

2. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

My daughter used to have this, too. I didn't notice any correlation with food (but I wasn't paying very good attention back then). She recently had 'sore legs' again (same spot as you mention) and I rubbed magnesium oil over them. This stopped the pain. In her case, I think it was likely related to magnesium deficiency - and this recent 'test' somewhat confirms that. It's not directly gut related, but magnesium is certainly a building block to health, gut included.

3. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

This makes sense... Did it relieve the pain immediately?

I just got some minerals to add to her water figuring that minerals might be an issue. I should see about some magnesium oil too....

4. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Don't waste money on Mg oil. Buy a bag of Epsom salts and dissolve some in warm water until it won't dissolve any more (forming a saturated solution). Use it just like Mg oil (which is a saturated solution of Mg chloride). With epsom salts you get sulfur too (magnesium sulfate)!

5. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I couldn't actually afford 'real' mag oil. What I did was make it from nigari crystals the way Dali Dula suggested. I know there is more in there than just mg, but don't know what the content of the other minerals is.

Yes, RN, the pain subsided quite quickly. The growing pains stopped totally once we started supplementing with oral mg every night, too.

6. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

Thanks ladies!

I already give her epsom salt baths..... Tomorrow I'll try some concentrated epsom salt water and do a wrap on her. I'll tell her it's her princess spa day or something. Maybe I'll do it and get my son to do it too. Put our swimsuits on and do it in the yard....

I actually tried giving her some of my Mg tonight (disolved in water)... but she spit it out. She's just not old enough to be able to do it because it might help.

We also tried some Mg Oil spray (it wasn't expensive here.... ), but she went into an itching frenzy.

I was able to get lots of broth and probiotic foods into her today so hopefully we'll get back on track working on her gut and we'll get this resolved.