1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

grounding shoes

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Julian, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Julian

Julian New Member

I was wondering if anyone knows much about grounding foot wear. I have been looking at getting a pair of fibram 5 finger shoes but not sure if there as good for the grounding aspect as earth runners?

2. johnsonmd

johnsonmd Silver

I look for footwear that has leather soles. Cowboy boots, penny loafers or moccasins... There are some grounding shoes on the internet. Softstar shoes from philomath Oregon is one that I looked at.

3. Jenny S

Jenny S Gold

I have the sandals from earthrunners, also use grounding straps on my shoes that are designed for factory workers - think they were from RS spares, can't remember

4. johnsonmd

johnsonmd Silver

I looked at grounding straps and it got me thinking... If I am wearing my normal thick cotton socks, I don't see how I could be well grounded. The strap is not touching my skin in the leather soles either.

My hubby told me that a blanket on the ground would not provide good grounding. That's where I started using a wet sheet outside and then went to a metal tank with water on a wet ground for CT and grounding.

5. drezy

drezy Gold

It's supposed to go inside the sock:
    [​IMG]

johnsonmd likes this.
  6. mbhemming

mbhemming Gold

Both the Earth Runners and the straps appear to have cloth material on the underside. Wont this get damaged from walking on concrete?

drezy likes this.
  7. drezy

drezy Gold

The bottom of a strap is rubber. These are used extensively in the semiconductor business. I wore a pair almost every work day for over 7 years. In that period I never went through more than 2 pairs.

8. mbhemming

mbhemming Gold

Thanks Dreezy. Are you referring to to the Earth Runners, or the straps depicted in your previous post, or both?

9. drezy

drezy Gold

The heel straps. I've never tried Earth Runners.

10. Dani

Dani New Member

The one thing about the 5 fingers is that they do allow your foot to move through its full range of motion which is great for keeping the rest of your body in alignment. You may be able to place a copper tack in the bottom for grounding.

Minnetonka makes a nice selection of soft-soled moccasins.

For the fashion oriented females, there is a company called pluggz that makes a specific grounding shoe in a ballet slipper and a loafer. I have not tried them out, but am thinking about doing so here in the near future.

11. philip malone

philip malone Silver

Drezy, since you've used them so much, do you know of a reliable brand/type?

12. drezy

drezy Gold

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    philip malone likes this.
  13. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

14. Jenny S

Jenny S Gold

I'm on my second pair of earth runners - first pair did have copper plugs, these haven't but seem to be wearing well. Probably had them about 6 months wear most days

15. mbhemming

mbhemming Gold

Did the sole wear out or did the straps wear out?

16. ALEXIS TUDOR

ALEXIS TUDOR Gold Member

Why the 1MG resistor? For potential electrocution if stepping on an ungrounded circuit?

17. drezy

drezy Gold

Human Saftey:
    "Where higher voltages are present, extra resistance (0.75 megohm per 250 V) is added in the path to ground to protect the wearer from excessive currents; this typically takes the form of a 4 megohm resistor in the coiled cable (or, more commonly, a 2 megohm resistor at each end)."

With a 1 meg resistor your body will not be able to develop a relative static charge. Rubbing a balloon on your hair and then touching a friend's ear would be way less fun by not producing a zap.

18. ALEXIS TUDOR

ALEXIS TUDOR Gold Member

Cheryl. likes this.
  19. drezy

drezy Gold

$20 shipping is ridiculous. I didn't look closely enough and I'll edit my link above.

I've never noticed much difference between any of the types that I've used so those look fine as far as I can tell.

FWIW I'm barefoot outside a ton these days.

20. ALEXIS TUDOR

ALEXIS TUDOR Gold Member

Cant beat barefoot. I used to walk barefoot in the forest. Eventually my feet became like hands hooking and gripping into the earth. I would almost never slip because I can feel the slipping before my center of gravity had shifted much.

Stephen W and Jim Laird like this.