1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Ground my paddleboard

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Inna, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Inna

Inna Platinum

I am a bit technically challenged, would appreciate advice how to best ground my inflatable paddleboard (i have a couple)

Please note the picture is BK (before Kruse), hence pink outfit

D0BAEE8C-453A-4043-8FC3-F48C44BA5038.jpeg

2. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Inna you are definitely one of the coolest grandparents on the East coast! Speaking of which, would you mind a quantum introduction to friends of mine who are also cool grandparents just getting into Kruse? They live outside Portland ME and are a recently retired family physician and psychotherapist, both asking What’s Next...will send a PM if interested.

3. drezy

drezy Gold

If there is enough marine radar around (not sure where you're doing this) I'm not sure you'd want to be grounded based on some of what I read around here.

Sajid Mahmood likes this.
  4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Many even small powerboats have radars.
    Very convenient specially at night to find inlet and to observe weather.
    Makes easier to be between thunderstorms rather than in them.

5. drezy

drezy Gold

Docs warnings about boat radar to others and your stories about bating reminded me to raise the issue for discussion.

6. Inna

Inna Platinum

Thank you so much, Phosphene!
    Yes, I would LOVE to connect with your friends from Portland, ME, please pm me, I will give you my contact information!
    I might be a bit ‘too cool’ for my daughters liking, they view my mitochondriac inclinations with a bit of suspicion and allow me unsupervised activities with my grandkids only when they have no other choice. When we were in New Hampshire my younger daughter (the doctor) gave me a lecture about dangers of sunlight exposure;
    I am going to spend several days with my youngest granddaughter (5 months old) while her mom, my (older) daughter attends a conference, she wanted my assurance that I would keep the baby away from direct sunlight.

732DE06A-8B11-4308-9900-D498351B0B85.jpeg

E67C7372-A646-4AD5-A7D8-5E6E8FD8ADDD.jpeg

Phosphene, caroline and Nadya like this.
  7. Inna

Inna Platinum

Good point Drezy and JanSz, about boats radar, there is a lot of boat traffic here in beverly mass, as much as I love ocean this is a big concern.
    How would you measure? I have trifield meter, probably not enough. I try to paddleboard early morning to see sunrise from the water whenever I can, I also swim from my paddleboard, hoping that I get ct+grounding + morning sunlight at one set for efficiency.

Natalie R. and caroline like this.
  8. caroline

caroline Moderator

Jack has warned us about trains and boats/ships concerning radar.

Love how you multi task Inna!

We live almost surrounded by water ....overlooking oyster channel ...very cool. A lot of folks have kayaks and that was the next thing on my agenda but I tore a muscle [rotator cuff] recently and have an old tear as well ...so probably, no kayaking for me - sob, sob, sob.

9. drezy

drezy Gold

@JanSz you're a boat radar expert compared to me. What frequencies or which band do boat radars use?

10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I am not an expert,
    but small boat radars are usually on only when traveling.
    So that fact that Inna is surrounded by 100's if not thousand boats may not be as big a deal as originally taught.

11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I sympathize and know exactly the feeling.
    My story with rotator cuff.
    The second accident happened when I was trying my grandson's skateboard.

caroline likes this.
  12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Jan - have you thought of having surgery? Tony had surgery last year and it was very successful but a full 9 month recovery.

I think that trying your son't skateboard is awesome Jan! Can't keep us old folks down!

13. Inna

Inna Platinum

Caroline, you CAN still do kayaking, just get foot pedal kayaks, i frequently see those in the water while paddleboarding, those are really cool, and faily fast, they might be a bit heavier than regular kayak (50-60 lbs)

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thanks Inna - we have thought of getting a double .....then Tony can do all the work!

so - with foot pedals ....can you rely on those alone? you must have to do some oar work I would have thought?

I think a paddle board would be better ....but too scared to try that. I think I could manage to paddle with my arms more down as opposed to a kayak where my arms would be at shoulder height?

We are now working on getting bikes ....so much to buy - so little money!

15. Inna

Inna Platinum

Thanks Drezy and JanSz, i thought that water works as faraday cage and protects from nnemf, is that so?
    Today i measured with trimeter while i was on my rock (my hangout on the beach) and the numbers were pretty low (much lower than in my apt), though i realize that trimeter might not be sufficient...

16. Inna

Inna Platinum

Caroline, paddleboarding is easy, you don’t have to stand on it, till you are fully comfortable, you could kneel or even lay down, with low center of gravity, there is nothing to be scared of!

Another reason i love paddleboarding, i could do naked sunbathing (well almost naked - wearing kiniki bikini) and feel entirely comfortable, i think seagulls really appreciate my outfit...

Phosphene and caroline like this.
  17. caroline

caroline Moderator

you rock Inna! Your daughters must think you are a hoot! too bad they are afraid of all this new information that is helping us to be healthy and well and happy.

Have you read Jack's story? about when he realised he had to relearn everything that he was taught in medical school, and how it impacted his life and family and friends and career.

Phosphene and drezy like this.
  18. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Inna, I sent you a PM. Look at your Inbox Conversations. :)