1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

gout study poster...sardines and herring are bad? WTH

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by chocolate, Jul 2, 2012.

1. chocolate

chocolate Silver

2. janagram

janagram New Member

really curious about that...it's cw. hope Dr. K. casts some light...

3. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

Gout is a really interesting case. A few years back I thought I was developing a case of gout from symptoms in my large toe.

I suggest you hit up pubmed and read about xanthine oxidase.

But there's a few studies that suggest uric acid is actually an antioxidant in the body - and a lack of it is a risk factor for parkinsons.

My conclusion after reading everything was that I had iron overload - so that was one of the reason for my frequent blood donations.

Once I started doing that and reducing my iron levels, I never had a toe problem again. There's a few studies that suggest having a high level of uric acid + a high level of iron, can lead to gout.....But just like cholesterol - what you eat doesn't necessarily translate into your blood levels - since the body is tightly regulating it.

4. chocolate

chocolate Silver

thanks....we are going to start giving blood... I used to think there might be something wrong... but honestly, we can't find anything "contagious" and its seems to be the smartest option for some turnover. I wish they would test blood better when you donate... seems like a fair trade and it helps everyone.

5. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

Since vitamin A is involved, maybe these guys were preferring steak to liver, too.

At any rate, the historical connection is interesting. And Dr. Cowan says he has success with patients with some simple steps:

http://www.westonaprice.org/ask-the-doctor/gout

6. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I am a 46 yo male. I had my first gout attack in 1999 when I was 34 after losing 20 lbs on Atkins. I was a bit overweight and firmly entrenched in the SAD. I read up on gout and tried avoiding purine rich foods. Second attack was a year later, I was a little heavier, and still eating badly. After that I got an attack every 4-8 months for several years, progressing into every 4-8 weeks. I was taking colchisine, a medicine which helps get over the gout attack faster, but makes you sick as hell (dosing instructions: take 2 pills every hour until you get diarrhea then stop).

2009 was the worst year. I was nearly 100 pounds overweight, high bp, high trigs, high chol, fatty liver, hypothyroid, and couldn't break the chain. I bucked all the wisdom I was given about weight loss and started an antiinflammatory diet high in antioxidant rich foods and low carb. Last gout attack was in Apr 2009. Discovered paleo in 2010. Now down to 165lbs, off all meds, and eating everything that is supposed to cause gout with wild abandon!

7. chocolate

chocolate Silver

http://metabolichealing.com/key-integrated-functions-of-your-body/cardiovascular/gout-cvd-and-fructose-uric-acid-inhibits-nitric-oxide/

This is good stuff.