1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Goodbye to arthritis and so much more…

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Phil Escott, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Tanya, that's marvelous. It just goes to show that we all have our own path and there is no right and wrong in healing when we get past the obvious basics. You have listened to your own body and emotions and worked miracles, and nobody can argue with you because nobody knows your own body better than you do. Well done!! This is why the allopathic model fails completely with autoimmune – they treat the "disease" and not the person. I think in future generations such malpractice will be looked upon as barbaric. I love the idea of the cultures where you only pay the doctor when you are healthy. If we did that, things might just change. :)

Tanya likes this.
  2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Phil - try not to be so hard on Docs ....... generally I have always found them to be extremely caring and trying to do their best. Dr. K. is teaching us how very limited their knowledge is .... that is why we have to pick up the ball and listen to the Doctor in our head and learn everything we can ..... and then to help our Doctor.

3. Jude

Jude Gold

Hi Phil, Thanks for sharing your health success....and you did it in silence:cool:! wow...there have been a few folk who've done the same, never posted until they reported their successes and then never posted again:(...I'm pleased you have kept up the chatter cause we can learn from you that way:)! I have noted a couple of books you mentioned...might just help me finally get rid of my arthritic knuckles. Of course it would've helped had I not occasionaly had some low strength beer..so have kicked that and hope to finally beat those enlarged joints! Welcome.

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

Jude - that is so true ^^^^^ It is so great Phil that you told us your story and are sticking around to help others.

That is exactly what Jack and his blog and and this website are all about.....

5. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Caroline, you are right of course… The limitations of the written word are that you can't see my smile as I write about docs. There may be an echo of the time that I was truly angry with them … well… one arrogant egotistical rheumatologist in particular… but these days I don't feel like that. I did say in that post that most mean well and I do believe that. I suppose it's more the drug companies that have a financial interest in not finding cures that's the problem. My point was not to get angry with them (all anger hurts autoimmune!), but just not to put them on such a pedestal. They are only human and sometimes make mistakes, but a lot of patients forget that and blindly do what they say after a ten-minute consult. We only have to look at the amount of times various drugs are banned (Vioxx etc) to know that there is no refuge in the latest wonder drug. A lot of people do not connect these dots though. I would never agree to methotrexate or biologics in my body, but during bouts of uveitis, did I refuse the course of steroid drops that would have saved my sight? Of course not! :) I'm selective, not daft! :)The next blog I'm going to do on my own site is how to navigate doctors from a patient's perspective and how to work with them without believing everything they say and not being frightened of their grim prognoses, which might well apply to those who carry on living on bread and KFC. If we take action ourselves we can learn that we are not the patients with bleak futures that the docs tell us about. That's it really. Sorry if I gave the impression that I actually did want to manhandle a doctor's face into my screen… My girlfriend and I were having a good laugh about it as I wrote that. :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  6. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Jude, it's a massive pleasure. I have no idea why people don't do it more. I have been dying to do it, but kept quiet because I wasn't sure I was ready. I am still not 100% perfect in the joints, but it's not really inflammation any more, just a little stiffness from the inflammatory process in one knee and one wrist. The ankles, which were the most agony, are totally resolved. I can't even believe there was anything wrong with them now. If I eat something a bit dodgy, I can still feel it, but it's a slight tingle to remind me now, never anything that causes any inconvenience, whereas a couple of years ago, if I made the slightest mistake I'd be in agony for days. There are many ways that I am far better than before it happened – lean, lots of energy, dozens of other associated ailments 100% reversed, and I'm the happiest I've ever been, so I feel that even if I am left with a slightly stiff thoracic spine if I wiggle in the right way, a little less range of motion in one wrist and a slightly fatter left knee and smaller quad, it has been well worth the journey. I can train with heavy weights, ride a mountain bike, play drums comfortably, fly fish with the "bad" wrist and sprint, so it's no big deal, and I'm sure the tissues will return to normal in time – they did take a beating so I'm patient and content. I'm on the home straight! :) I am totally convinced though that the emotional work did wonders. It's amazing to feel relief almost immediately in a certain body part as you clear the corresponding emotion/stress. I ignored it for a long, long time as even though I'm a bit of an old hippy, I thought it was probably rubbish. That was silly of me. I'm really going to go into this in detail in my book, and all sorts of other nutty things like reading dreams to get access to your subconscious etc. It will go into diet and all that, but so much more than I've seen anyone else mention on autoimmune from a patient's perspective anyway. :)

7. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

I hope so Caroline… I mean, I am a writer by trade, so I'm very wordy and do tend to go on and on. I feel a little guilty and overbearing already about the amount of waffle I've had the temerity to post on this incredible site. To be writing this stuff and thinking that Dr Jack and so many other experts might be feeling "What on Earth is he going on about?" does make me a little nervous, so please stop me if I ramble on too much… :)

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

Phil - you aren't rambling at all ..... you can read for yourself about the impact you have had! We are all part of a crazy quilt!

A fair few people come on only to sort their own problem and pick people's brains - and then they are gone ......It is awesome that you are sticking around to help.

Jack always tells us ... we need to pay this forward. How could we not after all that Dr. K. is giving us ....

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

don't ever forget about Quantum entanglement and quantum magic ......

Jack says .... "when our hands are open - we do receive gifts" I know this first hand!

10. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Ha ha! Thanks, Caroline. The thing is, I know my own journey, and I'm just a little nervous of leading somebody in some specific direction that's worked for me, when it might not be quite what they need, and a tiny wrong turn can make so much difference to the outcome. Just keep an eye on me is all I'm saying – don't be afraid to tell me I'm being daft… :)

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

Don't worry Phil ....Dr. K. keeps an eye on us ....nothing really escapes him!

I wasn't being critical of your comments on Docs ..... My DH was very sick for a lot of years and we had mostly wonderful caring Docs .... only two really who I could happily string up!

I have a great Doc now who is so interested in all this .....but he simply doesn't have time. He always listens to me and considers what Jack thinks. But I am always really careful to respect how he feels about something and we usually decide on something together.

Dr. K. always make sure we are very aware that we need to work on our n=1 .... this isn't a one size fits all.
    This is a very personal journey for each of us - our own journey to optimal health.

It has been an amazing ride ..... and just getting better and better!! welcome to the ride of a lifetime!

Phil Escott likes this.
  12. raysblue

raysblue Silver

Interesting discussion on thinking yourself to health. I think my questions have become more positive, and over the years I've moved away from seeking possessions to be grateful for what I have and to be cheerful in my interactions with people. I still get stuck Some days. Your post resonated with me because I have similar problems that you describe. I've been thankful for finding Dr Kruse. I've been trying for two years to improve my health. Lots of improvement ...more to do. Thanks for your post. It was a welcomed gift.

caroline likes this.
  13. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

It is my pleasure, raysblue. I wish you massive success. Sounds like you've already had a good bit anyway. :)

I think this business of "thinking your way to health" can often be a little difficult to grasp. I'm writing this post very slowly, which is unusual for me, as I'd like to make a subtle point here, and I'm floundering for words… Erm, there's an expression that sums it up really… Let me just go and Google it so I get it right… :)

Ah yes… Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

And one of my own… Saying "I'll be happy when…" is the start of the road to unhappiness.

It seems you have grasped these concepts well yourself raysblue!

However, for those who might not have looked into this process, here is how it goes, as I see it, beginning in a roundabout way… When someone is very ill, it takes a special person to feel totally contented with it. In fact, the sort of person who could feel like that is probably someone who is unlikely to get ill in the first place. So, we start with a balancing act. We maintain as much positivity and optimism as possible while turning over all stones to find things that reduce the pain. I spent two years in this stage, working on the body with an enormous variety of methods. I read a lot of books/personal accounts where people did a lot less than I did and got totally well. Sometimes the diet alone did it, or maybe the diet and a few other things like earthing, some herbs and a bit of meditation – but mine was stubborn – I must have been more messed up emotionally than they were (maybe for some it is just a case of fixing the gut if they are emotionally healthy. I think this is a fascinating area that might lead to the real root of autoimmunity). Even when I was in ketosis, freezing myself, eating all the fish I could stomach, being EMF free and subjecting myself to thirty consecutive liver flushes (still not 100% sure about those), things were still ticking away, albeit far less severely. I was suicidal sometimes as there seemed to be no way out. Eventually I got the symptoms down to about 10-20%, and I could breathe for a bit.

And so back to the dancing in the rain quote…

After so long being ill, you kind of get used to it and can find joy now and again anyway. One day I just thought, "Oh well, I have an incredible family and friends, a pretty easy life, I still have a ridiculous sense of humour – I can handle this even if it stays the same." At that very moment I felt a ton of stress lift.

After we have everything physical down, it's only stress that's left.

But what is stress? It's a hard thing to grasp for many. But here it is – stress is ANYTHING that makes us feel uncomfortable in the moment, and this stress is ALWAYS caused by our thoughts. Yes, ALWAYS. Two guys in a traffic jam – one is listening to music and chilling out; the other is fuming. It's not the traffic jam that's causing stress, it's their differing attitudes to it.

We need to change our thoughts about suffering, not always be willing the suffering away – that causes great stress as we are always living in some imaginary better future while wishing for the past. We need to be in the present. Hasn't every single guru since time began said that? :)

So, when I realised this, I used many techniques like affirmations, EFT, and the star of the show for me, Byron Katie's "The Work" to change my thoughts that I should stop being frustrated with my uncooperative body, but to love it for the wisdom it has brought me, and to totally trust in it that if stress-free it will heal, and that any little niggles are, 1. just the healing journey not running quite straight or 2. another marvellous opportunity to find out something else about myself. Gradually my whole perspective changed, and eventually my faith in the universe grew so much that the fear of death fell away. That was an ENORMOUS step for me, as if we look honestly, all fears are rooted in the fear of death. It didn't happen overnight by any means, and it didn't happen after half an hour of "tapping" or some half-hearted affirmation – it happened after months and months of practice every waking hour, making every uncomfortable thought a rabbit hole to healing a dodgy belief, and taking every single rabbit hole, however uncomfortable initially, and picking off the harmful beliefs one by one. I'm not done either by any means – this fascinating work goes on, as it will do for the rest of my life I'm sure.

It got to the point where I actually felt genuinely a little sorry for people who DIDN'T have an autoimmune disease to provide them with such a clear and accurate set of signals. If you can actually love your disease, it is a HUGE step in passing though it. I don't like the word "cure" as it immediately assumes it's a bad thing.

Even though I started to love my bad joints, as the stress vanished, so did the last of the symptoms. Of course I didn't complain! :) From then on I had to listen very hard for the body's warning messages. It wasn't screaming any more. But now I can hear the whispers instead.

A lot of people (me included) miss the point with these techniques at first and root around in their pasts trying to uncover every little trauma, but it's far simpler than that, and I can't stress it enough – whatever the mind and body is throwing up at any given time is the perfect thing to work on.

Hey, who needs a detective film when they have a human body, eh? :)

14. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Phil, I wonder if I could ask you to share some specific details here? It would be so very helpful to me and I would greatly appreciate it.:)

I am referring here to how much structural damage you were left with from being hit b y the arthritis and what was your prognosis at that time?

I understand that your spine, knee( one or both?), ankle (one or both?) and wrist(one or both?) were hit - was there anything else in addition to that and how severe were your injuries? In my own case, for example, the cartilage in just my ankles alone was 100% completely destroyed.

I also would be interested to know if you had gotten tested with respect to arthritis markers following your recovery? Again, in my own case, I’ve been diagnosed with autoimmune condition for many years prior to being hit by RA, but the last two tests showed my ANA as being negative, with RA numbers still being high, nevertheless. Does not make any sense to me.....

Isn’t it the greatest feeling in the world, Phil to be able to do once again all the things that seemed so completely impossible just a few years ago? Although we donated my skis and skates after what happened to me, my husband had enough foresight to stash my bike in the basement, (he stores my wheelchair there now) and I will never forget that moment of riding it just around the block.... I’ve taken much longer trips since then. :D

I second what Jude said that it is so very nice of you to stick around and to try to help the others to find their way back to health. Thank you for doing that, Phil.:)

15. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Hi Tanya. Hmm, specifics, eh? :) Well, I kind of count the start from Oct 2010 when it all went mad and the ankles and left knee exploded. There was a long time when I was sure there was permanent damage to the ankles. I have not been to a rheumatologist for a long time and only had one set of X-rays back in summer 2011, when there was no damage visible to cartilage. When it started my CRP was 65 (not HS CRP – I have never had that done). The last time I had it tested it was about 8, but that was at the end of 2012 when I had a large kidney stone lasered out that I didn't quite manage to pass with the Coke and asparagus trick (another crazy story!). I feel a lot better now so I suspect it's lower.

Starting with ankles, my right ankle looks slightly fatter than the left now, but to be fair it did since 1997 when I had a very bad sprain falling off a climbing wall, so that's nothing to do with the arthritis. The left is perfect. I have absolutely no issues with ankles at all. Ok, I haven't had an X-ray lately, but I'm convinced they are fine – full range of motion and I cannot bend them into any position where they hurt. No clicks, squeaks or crunching noises. :)

On the 2011 X-ray it showed I had some erosion of the bone in my sacroilliac joints, but I think I have had it at a low volume probably since the mid 80s, so I'm not surprised. I used to have trouble with SI back in the 80s and again in the late 90s, but no trouble any more, so they can look ugly if they like – they work! :) At its worst, back in early 2011, my whole spine hurt and I could hardly turn my neck. Now I have no problems with my back or neck at all. The thoracic can ache a little sometimes if I actually twist to make it ache, but no real hassle. X-rays in 2011 showed a little calcification here and there, but it's zero bother now.

It did really get into one finger too for a while, but that's totally gone and no damage. I have some totally painless Heberden's nodes in my fingertips that appeared about 1992 when my wrist first hurt. And on the subject of the wrist, it was diagnosed then as Keinbok's disease, but it probably never was. I'm glad it wasn't diagnosed back then, as I'd have probably taken their drugs and been far worse off by now. The wrist doesn't have full movement, but is strong and plays drums well. :) I suspect there is some damage in there, as it has been going for decades longer than the rest, and for some reason hit me hard in 2012 too as a last slap, but now it's ok. Not perfect, but not painful. No idea what an X-ray would show.

Which leaves the knee. Well, it still has some swelling, but I think this is trapped fluid and thickened synovium. I might be wrong, but there is so much synovial fluid in a knee, I am not surprised it's taking longer than other joints to fully come back to its former size. Maybe it never will. I don't know if there is any damage to the cartilage, but there is no pain and there is no loss of range of motion. I sometimes wonder if it would be good to get it washed out like they do with osteoarthritis patients to get rid of the crud, but they will only want to fill it full of steroids, so I think I'll just let it do its thing.

I also had a very wasted left quad, which is finally filling out again as I bicycle and weight train.

I'm sorry I can't be more scientific, as I really don't want to get back in the system and get tons of tests and X-rays. I truly trust in the healing power of our consciousness now, and if my body tells me it's ok, then it's ok! :)

Tanya likes this.
  16. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Can I ask a dim question? I put a before and after pic in the original post, but a friend of mine told me it just comes up as a tiny thumbnail that isn't worth posting. To me it looks full size, but then I logged out and it is indeed the size of a postage stamp. I edited it and clicked the button to post the full size pic, but it seems to disobey and every time I log out it comes up tiny. Wassup? :)

17. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I'm sure there are many ways to do it, but I use Picture Trail. First I upload the photo to Picture Trail and then I copy the link and paste it into my post. Works great...there are many sites that you can do this with.

18. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Ah, ok thanks. So uploading to the site directly doesn't work? There is an option for full size, but it doesn't seem to want to do it. :)

19. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I think most board software works like that -- or even makes viewing images at all (let alone full-size) something that's only for bona fide logged-in members. I suppose the people who write the software either figure that they should save the site-owners bandwidth (but I guess it's not much) or protect people's privacy or make another incentive for actually joining.

20. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Thanks Gagnrad. I can't be arsed mucking about then – I'll just go and put in an alternative link for anybody who wants to see the shrinking hippy full size… :)