1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Goodbye to arthritis and so much more…

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Phil Escott, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Before I start on my story, I must just say a HUGE thank-you to the lovely Dr Jack for a tidal wave of inspiration. At the time I was at my most ill, my months spent fanatically digesting your website brought some of the most stunning revelations of my whole healing process. The amount of people who I have turned on to your principles and who have found success is staggering. You’re a household name round here! Many times I have wanted to join this forum, but didn’t feel quite ready. Now I do. I hope I can inspire a few people.

I will be as brief as I can… :) In late 2010 I was diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis. They put a few names on it before settling on psoriatic, but I take little heed of these disease names any more – my brain just doesn’t process healing in terms of specific diagnoses now. The truth is, after months of hideous proton pump inhibitors and anti-inflammatories, in October my gut had obviously had enough and my ankles and one knee swelled up so badly and so quickly that I was pretty much immobilised. My HLA-B27 gene had expressed itself. When I look back now, the rumblings had been in my spine and right wrist for more than a couple of decades, but it was in 2010 that all hell broke loose. There were so many other things going wrong too – neuro symptoms of twitching/spasming, eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, kidney stones, arrhythmia, fatty liver, cysts on the liver and kidneys, brain fog, uveitis, hiatus hernia etc etc. I could go on and on, but won’t bore you. It was so bad that I was convinced I had Lyme disease. I took the steroids and sulfasalazine prescribed for a short time, but inside a month realised there was no help there.

For a long time I had stupidly been a vegetarian (on and off) and a meditating, gym owning personal trainer gone to fat. I thought I knew about diet and had even written a book and many articles about health and fitness. I was pretty good on training, having understood and practiced abbreviated routines since 1997, but I needed to seriously change my views on diet! And so began the three years of constant research, wrong turns, little successes, setbacks, small steps forward, potholes, triumphs etc. There were times of utter suicidal despair and times of elation when, prematurely, I thought I had it nailed, only for it to return with a vengeance. The only person I need to thank more than Jack is my wonderful girlfriend. I have absolutely no idea how she managed to stand by me and be 100% supportive and optimistic, but she did. She believed in me when I had no belief in myself.

Because I was veggie at heart, I turned to juicing, raw veganism etc, with inevitable results – I lost all my muscle, kept all my fat and stayed in pain, even though I'd cut the grains. Discovering regular paleo helped and it was back to eating good meat and fish and healthy fats and cutting all carbs. Discovering Dr Natasha’s GAPS was wonderful. Then Jack’s Epi-Paleo, CT and orange goggle wearing really started to shift things. By the winter of 2012 I had lost 60lbs, was absolutely ripped with my first ever good set of abs (with no cardio), and was rolling around in the snow topless and taking cold baths. Life was looking up.

After a little setback in the spring of 2013, it has all been plain sailing. With the symptoms down to practically nothing I started to look into the emotional issues for the real cure. I experimented a lot with EFT and Byron Katie’s “The Work” and my experiences were miraculous. I started to use a book, “The Secret Language Of The Body” by Inna Segal along with Louise Hay’s original on the subject “Heal Your Body” as references, and was totally fascinated as the theories about which emotions relate to the various parts of the body proved to be totally accurate. The blessing of arthritis is that it can hit anywhere, so you can listen to those warning signs and translate them. It is so astonishing to see, for example, ankles heal totally while a knee still niggles because you have hit the right stress and cleared it. This, of course, is something that rheumatologists are never likely to figure out.

In my journey I have used, apart from what I already mentioned, everything from every herb and supplement under the sun through liver flushing, earthing, distilled water (that was a disaster!), Ayurveda, fasting, Hanna Somatics, yoga, enemas… I could go on for ages. Some were useful, and some were not. Most of the stuff that was truly useful can be found on Jack’s site to be honest.

So, where am I today? I am training hard again, nice and abbreviated a la Doug McGuff, and have put back a lot of the muscle that I lost, but this time with no fat. I look pretty damn good for coming up to 52! Hundreds of niggling ailments and symptoms have vanished, and the only joint problems I have are from the slight damage that occurred during the time they were inflamed. It is hardly any trouble though, and it improves week by week now, as the inflammatory process has stopped. I am back to doing all I did before, including playing lots of demanding gigs as a drummer when at one point I doubted if I’d ever pick up a stick again.

The whole experience has been a massive blessing, and illness has taken me to places I never thought I’d go. It has deepened my understanding of the world and my relationships with myself and my friends and loved ones immeasurably. Right now is definitely the very best time of my life. I appreciate every day, and every tiny thing that happens in each moment.

In fact I am about to start writing a book which I will call “Arthritis – The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me. (How To Heal Autoimmune Conditions And How To Let Them Heal You)”. I also have a website at pureactivity.net now where I blog about various things to do with diet, exercise and healing, as I feel it’s my duty and pleasure to help as many as possible to be as lucky as I have been.

So, a final thank-you, not only to Jack, but to all the other wonderful people who have contributed here. You don’t know how far the good you do reaches. Many are lurking silently like I was and enjoying tremendous benefits.

Love,

Phil.

P.S. Jack – if you liked The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari, I think you would like my novel “An Illusion Of Maya”. Drop me a line and let me know how I can get a free copy to you as an insignificant thank you compared to what you’ve done for me. Ironically, the “guru” character is called “Jack” even though it was actually written back in 2001. :)

P.P.S. Here is my before and after pic: If the pic looks really tiny to non-members, you can see it here too…
    http://pureactivity.net/welcome/

Before:after.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Welcome. Nice to see someone joining with a success story.
  3. Inger

Inger Silver

Amazing....! Thank you for sharing, Phil :) that is always such a joy to read success stories :) :)
  4. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Thank you both, and Inger you have been a great inspiration too. Don't think I haven't noticed your progress!! :)
  5. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Phil, what a great testimony! Your story will give many others hope. Thanks so much for sharing.

I've experimented with EFT in the past and it helped get some bad gastric issues to clear about 6-7 years ago. Amazing how the mind and body connects on all levels. Can't wait to read your book on healing yourself someday.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Developing others is where we compound success and multiply the good effects to others. You must equip yourself to let others visualize how to to tap their potential.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Josh likes this.
  7. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Hi fitness@home. It's a privilege to be able to help, and yes, when it clicks how everything connects the magic happens. It seems like so long ago I read Jack saying, "With our thoughts we make our reality." I knew it was the truth, but it took me a long time to actually have the "aha" experience. I worry when I read about people "fighting" illness. You need to surrender to it, listen and learn, and it's amazing what it reveals! Illness is the very best meme-buster, if we allow it to be… :)
    kovita likes this.
  8. kovita

kovita Silver

wow, Phil! thisis a great story! I love succes stories! I think it is so great because the cure was so "simple". I am not yet healed, but i think the turn to the right direction happened already. people do ask me often what am. i doing, because the progress in my physical apperance has been striking in thhe last 2 months, they usually do not believe at first that i tell the truth, because the recipe is cheap and simple and it goes against almost all believes people tend to hold nowadays. I too have a debt with Jack for pushing me to rethink what. i thought was truth about hte physics and biology (biology by profession myself). Keep up the good work and looking forward to read your book!
  9. kovita

kovita Silver

I reached the same stage just lately, took my almost two years of fighting. And. i do agree, it is the best thing It could ever happen to me in this sense and I am discovering peace and joy where I never thought could find them.
  10. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Ah, there you are Dr Jack. :) You have no idea how much I've looked forward to thanking you!
  11. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Kovita, that's wonderful to hear. I can't say my healing was that simple though. It was a massive tangle of physical and emotional puzzles that took a long time and complete focus. It's no wonder the regular docs think there is no cure for autoimmunity. It's only people like Jack who get patients to really think for themselves and take responsibility, and when that message gets out, they will have a chance.
    kovita likes this.
  12. kovita

kovita Silver

by "simple" i mean what did you employ in your daily life to rech this goal. nd get healthy again. cheap in sense of money, people usually do not expect big results from cheap things and less from thibgs that cost nothing (aks pharma comps why). I know myself how not simple is the final individualized recipe. I cannot agree more that it is a huge tangle of both physical and emotional puzzles. It changed me forever and. i am not yet at the end.
  13. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Ah yes, I see… :) The simple things all added up – the reconnections with yourself and the planet and consciousness. Yes, that's where it's at! Get it all right and the body takes care of itself. It always amuses me the arrogance of the conventional chaps who really think they can intervene with these chemicals after a ten-minute consult and actually do any good. Oh well… I used to get angry about it, but letting the anger towards doctors and "low fat high fibre" dieticians go was a big part of the puzzle. If we're angry about anything we are attacking ourselves, and the body follows suit… Result? Autoimmunity! :)
    kovita likes this.
  14. sooperb

sooperb New Member

How lovely to hear a success story, it's always inspiring and a kick up the butt to people like me who haven't made any progress! May I just ask, are you still vegetarian or have you incorporated meat/fish back into your diet?
  15. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Good grief, no sooperb. I am way off vegetarian! Bone broths, grass fed meat, fish, fats and non-starchy veg for me! I see you are just down the road from me. I have played some of my favourite gigs ever in the Preston area! :)
  16. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Jack, please have a peek at my P.S. in my first post. I'd love to send you a copy. Don't worry – it's not some craziness in a Word document – it is published! :)
  17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You would have love the March Webinar and Q & A........it was about this very issue
  18. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Glad to hear it, vegetarians seem so entrenched in their position one wonders how any of them can give it up. My sister has been vegetarian for over 40 years, she has endless migraines, is stressed to the point of neurosis, doesn't sleep well, has had bowel problems for all her life yet refuses to accept that not eating meat has had a damaging effect on her health. I'm past trying to explain/convince her to at least read a bit more widely.

Preston is a dive, I'm glad I live outside it and don't have to go there much lol.
  19. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thank you for sharing your story, Phil. As someone who also has a very aggressive form of Rheumatoid Arthritis, I can really appreciate all the challenges that you had to overcome. I wish you continued success:)
  20. Phil Escott

Phil Escott New Member

Sounds fascinating. I was always sure that you were leading towards focusing more on the consciousness aspect of healing. What I love the most about your stuff is the way you lead people through all the layers of the puzzle. Some "experts" have the physical reasonably down, some have the emotional, some the spiritual, but you seem to have the lot. That's rare. And then there's the science… that baffling, wonderful JK science!! I try to keep up. I don't do too badly… :)