1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Goodbye City Life!

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by nonchalant, Feb 4, 2015.

1. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Hi Anne. Yes, when I visit the big city, my health takes a dip. I've recently put a feather mattress topper where I sleep in Dallas, and I get a much better night's sleep. I also avoid the sofa. I've found that sleeping there on weekends is much worse than during the week.

I wish there were a good replacement for innerspring or foam mattresses. I found a manufacturer who will make one from cotton, but the price is high. I'll start saving up.

Anne V likes this.
  2. Anne V

Anne V Gold

yes you are right it is not cheap
    just ordered a wool mattress quite dear
    1.05 m only, i can do being on my own .
    2 months to delivery, hand made in italy
    but in the UK everything else had coils
    so i decided it was worth it

Alex97232 and caroline like this.
  3. Anne V

Anne V Gold

i have a king size topper (feather and down) i do not use any longer
    would u like it?
    price : postage

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  4. caroline

caroline Moderator

This is so interesting! what else has changed?

Anne V likes this.
  5. caroline

caroline Moderator

why don't you use it Anne?

How did you pick the new wool mattress? why did you pick wool instead of latex?

6. Anne V

Anne V Gold

some latex evaporates toxic fumes.
    their latex had coils
    wool is good
    you have to turn the mattress every week
    no big deal to me
    the king size topper will not fit a 105 bed :)
    and i did not like it as kept me too warm
    i like to sleep being cold

7. Anne V

Anne V Gold

105 bed not good for boyfriend :rofl:

8. Anne V

Anne V Gold

back to canaries on the 14th for a month
    then
    will go on narrow boat for a few days to see
    i like boats on the sea, but should check to b sure @caroline xx

caroline likes this.
  9. Anne V

Anne V Gold

planning all of feb with shah
    march with some time with my sister
    so 2 months in yucatan

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

where are you in September?????

11. Anne V

Anne V Gold

??? was thinking Corsica if reasonably priced. or Greece,Italy ....who knows:)

12. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Ooh! I'll take it! See my PM.

13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Let me see...how do you spell 'false economy'? I got a really good deal on a mattress pad. It said it was 100% cotton filled, with a 100% cotton top. But still there was 4% polyester and 1% 'other'. I bought it anyway. The skirt definitely has spandex in it. I put it on the bed over the feather topper. It was very nice. But last night DH was twitching again. And the bed seemed a bit warmer to me. Sigh.

14. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Removing that ^^ mattress pad and replacing it with my 'really 100% cotton' pad (except for some triangular spandex at the corners) fixed the problem. DH is getting used to sleeping all night without getting up to go to the bathroom (sometimes several times.) I wished I knew about problems with innersprings and foam two decades ago. Well, Jack mentioned it some years ago, but I just didn't have the drive to find another option to memory foam and innersprings. I just hoped my magnetico would cancel out the effect of the (antenna) springs.

I've seen some cotton covered wool mattresses out there, and some cotton-filled, and some wool mattresses with a cotton core. Maybe next year I'll have some money saved up for another big purchase. Wool sounds hot for Texas, but at least it doesn't have to have fire retardants. And what about horsehair or coir?

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

We have a pure cotton quilted topper and we don't like it. I finally took it off the bed today when I changed everything.

It packs down under our body weight and gets ridges. I paid a lot for this one - about $700.00. My choice had been to get a pure cotton mattress from the same company but it was very expensive and we weren't sure.

I have had wool toppers and it was hot. We also have a wool duvet - but it is heavy and hot.

we have a linen cupboard full of stuff and we aren't totally happy with any of it.

16. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I just tried out a 50% down 50% feather mattress pad. It's a thick pad (or a very thin topper.) No poly except for the skirt. Its too warm for me, though. Too much down, I guess DH had no issues with it, but I woke up with a slightly numb hand. The fingers were hanging over the edge, too close to the poly.

Perhaps the plastic (or foam) in a bed captures emf waves and converts them to a standing wave or static electricity.

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

I have been wanting to get a weighted blanket ....they are expensive ...and not sure

18. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Interesting @caroline . I've never heard of such a thing.

19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I cut the poly skirt off of that down mattress pad, and I put it underneath my thicker feather topper. Much better sleep. Cooler. DH did twitch a couple times, surprisingly, but this morning I saw he was wearing some old boxer shorts with the exposed elastic inside. Where can I hide those?!? I'll make sure he has the covered waistband shorts on tonight.

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

apparently used a lot for autistic kids .......
    I have never been able to sleep well without being covered - with at least a sheet.