1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Goodbye City Life!

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by nonchalant, Feb 4, 2015.

1. caroline

caroline Moderator

what differences have you noticed Sally? with your new pillow? and new mattress topper?

What kind of a mattress do you have?

Anne V likes this.
  2. Anne V

Anne V Gold

yes would like to know too.
    going into a small flat i have ordered a new bed with a new mattress
    took a while to find one without springs. made of wool
    will let u know but it is a 2 months wait.they do another one with wool and horsehair (heavier people}
    everything else got springs.

caroline likes this.
  3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I just have a cheap mattress, Audrey, like I've slept on all my life. Probably a very high polyester content. Springs too. Since I first got a grounding sheet, years ago, attached to a dedicated ground rod, I've noticed twitches in myself also. But I just knew that the grounding was good, because I felt warmer in winter, and it was better than aspirin for aches. Slowly I realized that such a grounding technique just wasn't for me. So now I'm going the other way. I still stand barefoot outside in the morning, but I limit it.

I haven't noticed a marked difference with the feather pillow; but I have noticed that heat buildup isn't so obnoxious. Similarly with the feather pad, I get warm, but not incredibly hot. A new mattress will probably be my next goal.

In the mean time I'm watching my clothes starting to slowly get baggy. I'd like to weigh myself, but I don't want to jinx anything. ;-)

caroline and Alex97232 like this.
  4. caroline

caroline Moderator

yes ....I have given up weighing myself too - at least for awhile.

What is your timetable for eating these days? what are you eating?

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I'm pretty much eating as usual, breakfast and lunch, skipping dinner. Avoiding milk, wheat, artificial fats, tropical fruit. I'm considering doing another '30 day challenge' for seafood. I'm getting tired of aphasia. At least I'm not alone, most everyone I know now forgets words here and there. We're all getting good at helping to fill in the blanks of other's speech.

I just realized--my craving for sweets has really diminished in the past few weeks. Another positive effect of avoiding EMFs.

caroline likes this.
  6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I recently bought a soft organic latex mattress topper. I tried it out one night, without the feather topper but with my usual mattress pad. Very comfortable and pleasant, but a big mistake for me. The next day my back was terrible! Quite painful if I stood for very long. I was also tired, and couldn't resist laying down for a nap, because the new topper felt so good. Sure enough, I noticed a slight tingle from the bed, especially at the small of my back where it is weakest. Not a good sign.

So I got up and put the feather topper on top of the latex topper. My bed is so tall now! I made the bed again and tried it out. No tingle at all. The next day my back was almost back to normal. And I wasn't tired.

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

Sally - what exactly are your conclusions from your latex topper? Your spring mattress doesn't bother your back?

We have a new latex type mattress for the last 15 months. I have now had horrible back problems twice ....once last August and then just recently. I have never ever had back problems my entire life.

When I got the back problems last August I was going to a physio to help strengthen my shoulder [rotator cuff tears] We thought maybe I was doing the exercises incorrectly and created the back issue.

The mattress in our guest room has springs and is relatively new ....maybe I should do a bio hack.

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Audrey I'm in the process of getting rid of the spring mattress. It's just taking a while because I'm feeling my way. I've ordered a thicker feather mattress topper, 4" this time. My idea is to swap it for the spring mattress, which will bring the bed way lower. I don't know how the box springs (which has no springs but it does have metal straps) will support it. Probably not well. So I'll need to change the bed frame somehow.

Anyway I can't really tell you if the spring mattress also bothers my back yet. It's just so much better with the feather layer. The latex topper was slightly large for the bed, extending a half-inch or so. And when my hands or feet (or knees) got too far off the side, I could feel that tingle. Perhaps if I had no springs underneath, I wouldn't have these problems with latex?

caroline likes this.
  9. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Ok the coil mattress is off the bed. Last night we slept on feathers over latex. Loved it. DH initially grumbled that it was too thin (another layer of latex is on order) but in the morning he said he slept like a rock. I think losing the springs is important. When I slip my foot over the side so that I touch a latex layer, I no longer feel the tingle. I do, however, feel a vibration. So I think the latex is picking up something; it's just a different frequency. I wish I could find a thick, old-fashioned cotton mattress. You know the kind with the striped ticking, piping around the edges, and the buttons? [Sorry, old-fogey moment there.]

Now I'm looking askance at other furniture in the house, and the car seats. Springs everywhere!

caroline and shah78 like this.
  10. caroline

caroline Moderator

Interesting Sally ........I am thinking of swapping out our foam mattress for our other coil mattress!

I am waking up a little bit stiff and a twinge in my back .....all new since this new foam mattress. The company has already replaced it once because it started to sag. Apparently [from the company] foam needs to be heated at the exact right temperature or there is problems.

What you are doing is so interesting ....I will be following you and your back!

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    nonchalant likes this.
  11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Got in the final (firm) layer of latex for the bed yesterday. Before I put it on, I went ahead and put the magnetico back on the bed. (DH was shocked, I was able to handle the rolls all by myself.) Last night was some Awesome Sleep. It was warm when I went to bed, so I left the windows and shades open for awhile... But I didn't stay awake long enough to close them or reawaken until dawn. Oops! Normally that amount of light just kills my sleep. The extra layer of latex kept me comfortable even when on my side. The feathers kept me cool. And the magnets...just fabulous.

Today we installed the window air conditioners. Since I'm sleeping cooler now, perhaps the a/c doesn't have to run so long.

Anne V likes this.
  12. caroline

caroline Moderator

That is all so impressive Sally! Jack was saying in the Q&A that if you are getting a good nite's sleep he doesn't worry too much about you .....but - if you are not sleeping well.......

Will you use your feather duster in the summer time?
    How thick are your layers of latex?

13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Thanks, Audrey! I've got 3" of firm, 3" of medium, and 2" of soft latex. We had, for a couple nights, two 3" layers of feathers. (My sister says it's like the princess and the pea.) The first night was Way Too Fluffy! The second night, once they all got packed down (by lying sideways on the foot of the bed, etc), was great. But then I took one layer of feathers off to give to my mother. I kinda miss it...

Based on the way they felt on that last warm night before we fired up the a/c, I think the feathers will be fine during the summer. However, now that we only have one layer, I've noticed some heat. I might be too close to the latex.

BTW--congrats!!!!!

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thanks for the congrats Sally. Latex is definitely hot.

Are you still sleeping all nite? straight thru?

15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Except for turning over, yes I sleep all night. Even DH isn't getting up to go to the bathroom as often. A couple times (before I removed that extra feather layer) he didn't get up at all. Quite a change for him.

These past winters we slept cold. Sometimes we would wake up in the morning and it was in the upper 40's F inside. But that didn't keep the bed from getting hot. My skin would be quite cool on one side and surprisingly hot on the other. I knew something had to change.

caroline and Anne V like this.
  16. Anne V

Anne V Gold

@ nonchalant and @caroline.
    Hi Sally and Audrey. shall i change my name???
    i could be tiggy puss!!! that was the name of his own cat!

caroline likes this.
  17. Anne V

Anne V Gold

coil is crap with 5g

caroline likes this.
  18. Anne V

Anne V Gold

the view from my LR is magnificient. i am so lucky

caroline likes this.
  19. caroline

caroline Moderator

Anne - you are a scream!

20. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Last night was another exceptional night's sleep. It was cool again, so DH turned off the a/c and opened windows. I was reading in bed and thought I'd close the shades later, when the sky got dark. I keep forgetting that I'm sleeping more soundly lately. So I awakened as the sky lightened a bit and turned over. OMG I fell asleep on my right side and stayed there for hours! I have not been able to do that in a year or two because my heart will start to race. Only when I'd roll to my left side would it calm down. Not last night. This is amazing. This is big.

Jude likes this.