1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Ghee Whiz- Questioning Goddess GHEE

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Martha Ray, Feb 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Martha Ray

Martha Ray New Member

I am in a process of elimination and examination of every thing consumed...
    Right now questioning the brand Goddess GHEE Barnardsville NC. We have been using their Brown Butter and Traditional Butter Oil. These are great tasting but expensive and ideally we want to work up to homemade from butter made from local (hopefully A2) raw milk. Link to their web site... https://www.goddessghee.com/

Anyone know about this or any Ghee?

2. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

When the butter used to make the ghee is simmered, the little bit of proteins in the butter settle with the solids at the bottom (then get filtered out). So if you're allergic to the proteins in the butter, ghee is useful. But if you aren't allergic to the proteins in the butter, raw butter is probably a little healthier than ghee. If you can get raw cream from A2 cows then you could make raw butter that'd be as good or better than ghee.

3. Martha Ray

Martha Ray New Member

Thank you Dan2. I'm not big on dairy but do love butter. Been considering a Raw Milk cow share for making my own butter. I've been interested in increasing butyrate since Genova GI effects testing said I am low on short-chain-fatty acids. Articles that I've read seem to indicate ghee has more Butyrate than butter. I guess ghee is technically 'processed' butter so perhaps the less processed plain butter may be better. I've hated some of the other retail ghee brands but I love this brand taste wise and for cooking... but I'd like to know for sure if Ghee is Better Butter. I've posted on some other threads about butter...perhaps I'll ask on that thread as well. I'd cut a lot of things out of my diet but fat and salt are not two of them. I like the concept of 'fat for fuel' and have read some of the book, The Salt Fix by Dr DiNicolantonio.
    Author also has many Videos online... This is an interview done with KenBerryMD
    37:28
    Is Salt BAD For You? Dr DiNicolantonio, Author of The Salt Fix
    217K views
    [​IMG]YouTube2yr

Salt may be why I crave butter. No Salt content shown in the Goddess GHEE Traditional Butter Oil.

John Schumacher likes this.
  4. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

- Is there more butyrate in ghee because of conversion of other fatty acids to butyrate during the simmering while making it? Or is it just proportionally a little more of the weight of ghee because of some weight from the butter's solids (proteins and sugars) and water being filtered out?

- Ghee has a higher smoke point, so normal cooking temperatures won't make the fats rancid. So better for cooking. I don't know why the heating to make it doesn't mean it's already a little rancid even before being heated to the smoke point, but I'm guessing something happens during making it to prevent it being a little rancid (and gradually getting worse) because in India aged ghee is considered better. But in India it's traditionally also made with fermented milk/cream (before separating the butter from that), so maybe something during the fermentation prevents rancidity during simmering, and ghee made without fermentation before simmering doesn't age as well?

- Raw butter has enzymes, bacteria, and other immune- and digestion-affecting things, so it's healthier if you're not heating it much (and no allergy to the proteins or lactose intolerance (when making raw butter you squeeze out some buttermilk from the butter chunk after the chunk separates from the cream, and so depending how much it's squeezed there can be a little lactose in it still)). And raw butter that hasn't been frozen can ferment a little during storage.

- Have you tasted fresh raw butter? It's delicious; much better than any store-bought pasteurized butter I've tasted. If you can get raw cream from some local farm to make raw butter with, you'll probably like it a lot more than any specific brand's pasteurized butter.

- There'll be lots of butter from cream but not much from milk even when it's full fat, so if you're considering a cow share but don't like milk, have you tried fermented milk like kefir? If you let raw milk ferment but shake it every day or so to keep the whey and what would become cheese curds mixed, it'll become something like kefir. Or don't mix it and you'll get separated whey and cheese curds. And those three each feel different than drinking the milk while it still has lots of sugar. And raw whey has lots more healthy things in it than just protein, and the cheese curds would have butyrate.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021