1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

General questions for living in the cold

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Butters, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

What I wondered since knowing about CT:

Can men actually live in cold areas like russia or sweden without much clothes or say naked?
    But when you can why so many people died in the past from hypothermia etc. like in WW2?

Its easy to do CT for us and go outside with no much clothes on but we have houses and heating. So what happens when we have no heatings and even at home its is sick cold, like say in the crises in the past?
    Is it then doable?
    Speak of that Wim Hof also lives in a heated house and wears normal clothes outside his challenges.

brent-next likes this.
  2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I think they would have to stay naked, actually. Like those copper-skinned natives in frigid, windy Tierra Del Fuego that died once they adopted the clothing of their civilized discoverers.

3. brent-next

brent-next Gold

There is a big tradition in eastern an northern Europe of winter swimming. I spent last winter there and did this every day for the first half of the winter.

People prefer winter swimming naked because getting your naked by dry and safely dressed is a lot easier than getting a swimming suit (that may be freezing) off your body with fingers that are getting stiffer each minute.

The winter swims that people do are almost always less than 30 seconds. There is even a separate word for it in Russian (coophatsa), that means to get in and out of cold water quickly. There is a different word for longer swims that you might do in the summertime (plavit).

4. Inger

Inger Silver

I also take short dips only... around a minute or so. But the water is freezing cold. It somehow feels enough to just stay in that short. I am in awe how people here sit for an hour or more in icebaths! :) :) Well I am not overweight at all so maybe that is one reason.. or I am just a wuss....:tears::D
    I do think short dips hav a lot of benefits tho! Feeling very healthy here :)

5. shah78

shah78 Gold

Yeah, a big(thin) wuss ! Spoken by the woman who sleeps in a horse barn ,in Northern Germany, in the Winter. Yup, a big wuss. :)

6. Inger

Inger Silver

7. brent-next

brent-next Gold

The short dips in very cold water definitely can trigger a release of epinephrine and norepinephrine to make you feel good.

But my current guess is that they don't help you very much on your road to optimal.

I've just started a new thread explaining my experience with winter swimming last winter.

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/does-winter-swimming-cold-thermogenesis.19082/

I'm thinking that sitting motionless in a 50 deg. F tub for 20 minutes would do you a lot more good than a minute of winter swimming.

Yesterday I added wool socks and did my first 17 minute soak (motionless) in a sunny 50 deg. F shallow pool. The wool socks helped a LOT. Sitting motionless helped a LOT. Every time I would move slightly I got colder.

8. shah78

shah78 Gold

I endorse this message.

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

ADRENALIN = EPINEPHRINE AND IS SIMILAR TO NOREPINEPHRINE

UV and IR light from the sun and cold are a medical solution to a medical problem because the sun's light is the off switch for stress hormones.

Sunlight shifts blood into the skin by changing polarization in tissues that allow for dermal pooling due to molecular resonance changes in eNOS and NO. More than 50% of your blood volume can change your skin surface when specific solar spectral density is present. This can lower your blood pressure and it raise you sulfated vitamin D3. It changes the anatomical structure of the skin by changing the optics of surfaces. It becomes a sensory stimulus for the interoceptive system to induce biochemical substrates via photosynthesis in plants and changes in the ATPase using red light and water in animals. Sunlight increase Vitamin D, histamine, and sulfhydryl groups, while lowering (photolysis) ADRENALIN, steroids, testosterone, estrogen, thyroid hormone, DNA and RNA. Sunlight induces biochemical reactions via photolysis and it induces coordinated endocrine adaptation effects in the eye and the skin surfaces. It affects the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems. It is the stimulus for the circadian timing mechanism of the body clock via the central retinal pathways. All these effects are built into the electronics of your proteins under solar power and magnetic flux.

Cold water immersion at 14°C increased metabolic rate by 350%, norepinephrine by 530% & dopamine by 250%. Wow. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10751106/

People just dont get the angles of science.......it is in these shadows where the secrets of nature hide.
    When you are truly connected to nature all vices fade to black. The slope of the line of fading is proportional to the coherence of the connection to light and magnetic flux.