1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Gauging heart health status

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Judd Crane, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Judd Crane

Judd Crane New Member

What is the best convenient way to assess the condition of someones heart? EKG?

2. Huck

Huck Silver

Three come to mind. It really depends on what you are looking for. If it's plaque, these 3 are good.
    1. Cleveland Heart Labs has an inflammation panel administered by Quest.
    2. CIMT - Carotid Intima-Media Test (ultrasound) is used to diagnose the extent of carotid atherosclerotic vascular disease.
    3. Coronary Calcium Score (Heart Scan) - This is a ct scan of heart
    The CIMT is an excellent tool if the technician is highly skilled in administering it. They have to take the measurements at the same place on carotid artery every time the test is administered or else you can't tell if things are getting better or worse. I have had a very difficult time finding a competent CIMT testing site.

Another test that may be appropriate is an echocardiogram (ultrasound).

And the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test OGTT (2 hour) - insulin resistance is a contributing factor for heart disease.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  3. Judd Crane

Judd Crane New Member

Thanks for the reply!

I wasn't thinking about cardiovascular health in general but the condition of the heart/heart muscle per se. In that sense, a cardiac echo might be the preferred option to an EKG?

4. Judd Crane

Judd Crane New Member

The reason I'm asking is because I've experienced some chest pain during the last geomagnetic storms which has had me a bit worried about the old ticker.

5. Huck

Huck Silver

I'd be looking at calcium deposits. Do you have a heart murmur?

6. Judd Crane

Judd Crane New Member

I had a check up last year with stethoscope and EKG which showed no oddities. Calcium scoring is done using x-rays, right?

7. Huck

Huck Silver

Yes. CIMT is ultrasound. There is a high correlation between plaque in carotid artery and other heart arteries, so they can use ultrasound to check for plaque in carotids.

I had a few nights where I woke up with my heart pounding at about 110 beats per minute. At night my heart rate is usually in the 60's. I traced it to the use of a space heater which was creating emi on the electric line behind my headboard. I think it was the combination of emi and having heart calcification that caused the heart pounding.

Checking your heart with a stethoscope and EKG isn't going to tell you if you have plaque, which you probably do. It's a question of how much you have. People usually have a heart problem years before it is detected.

8. Sampath

Sampath Gold

Did you check homocysteine levels?

9. Judd Crane

Judd Crane New Member

I did not but that's definitely on the list for my next appointment, thanks!