1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Gas...

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Matty_M, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Matty_M

Matty_M Purple Angel Club

I never would've tried to change my health 2 years ago and ended up stumbling here if it weren't for horrible, chronic, stinky gas that forced me to look for answers.

Recently, this issue has been seeming to make a small comeback, despite soooo many things I'm doing. It is very annoying and I would do anything to fix it. It is primarily after meals. I find myself having to stand up and walk away for "no reason".... otherwise hold it in. I am fairly sure it is high in sulfur, or at least that is what I believe causes the strong smell. Digestive enzymes/betaine HCl seem to help.

I have done almost everything on this site that seems to apply to me, and I'm often told it is too much.

- I see the sunrise every morning. I get lots of sunlight (and barely burn anymore- maybe a little bit on my face and neck after many many hours in powerful sun). I avoid fake light and wear blue blockers consistently after dark, if in a lit area.
    - I do CT daily, with some exceptions. Around 20-60 min at between 45-60 F
    - I dont drink alcohol
    - I sleep outside grounded (when I'm at home, currently on vacation sleeping in basement..)
    - I drink over a gallon of ice cold spring water daily
    - I follow the Epi-Paleo Rx to a tee and have for many months (as well as the leptin rx and I'm pretty sure I'm leptin sensitive- few/no carb cravings, more energy, better sleep)
    - I completely avoid halides (pools, public water, etc.)
    - I use meditation while doing ct
    - I sleep a lot (although I'm lower in energy than I should be, I believe)
    - I do a good amount of non-exercise activity thermogenesis, not HIIT because I'm not 100% sure if I'm leptin sensitive

I'm guessing this gas is a gut flora/gut functionality issue... I'm not sure what else it could be (although with all the truth bombs I get here I wouldn't be surprised if at its core it is a light issue or something).

I really just want answers. I could really use a short term band-aid, as well as a long term solution.

I have been working on EPCOTx for the last week, but I obviously haven't noticed any immediate improvements...

Any suggestions for immediate relief would be GREATLY appreciated.. as well as a path I might consider following for a long-term solution (If something besides EPCOTx)

Thanks a lot.

- Matt

2. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Charcoal will give you relief I expect....but you're right...it's a bandaid. Good luck

3. Matty_M

Matty_M Purple Angel Club

Thanks. I will try some of this. I think (and am testing) chewing my food a LOT and using apple cider vinegar to get my digestion stimulated helps a bit too.

4. Penny

Penny New Member

You probably have a "sulfur reducing bacteria" i.e. - one that eats sulfur and generates hydrogen sulfide - this is the "did something die in your stomach" stench you are smelling...

Sulfur-reducing bacteria (SRB) get their energy by reducing elemental sulfur to hydrogen sulfide. They couple this reaction with the oxidation of acetate, succinate or other organic compounds.

Several types of bacteria and many non-methanogenic archaea can reduce sulfur.
    Some bacteria – such as Proteus, Campylobacter, Pseudomonas and Salmonella – have the ability to reduce sulfur, but can also use oxygen and other terminal electron acceptors. Others, such as Desulfuromonas, use only sulfur.
    These bacteria can be used in industrial processes to generate hydrogen sulfide for the precipitation of metals.
    Some bacteria can use both elemental sulfur and sulfate as electron acceptors"

I would get the american gut (www.americangut.org) test and see which of the little darlings you have... it's $99.00 with quite detailed taxa...
    Some great articles on which probiotics for which bug can be found here:

http://www.nature.com/ijos/journal/v6/n4/full/ijos201452a.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2481460/

Try to take a probiotic with bacillus subtillus - I like the Garden Of Life Ultra as it contains both b. subtillus and s. boulardi (for fungi) - if you have campylobacter, this will reduce your stomach acid, thus making food undigested - it's just like h. pylori - a cheap test is this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Ulc...pebp=1438195329751&perid=03QZHMF4TPR3VR7QEQWM

You can also try cat's claw or myrhh gum - if you get any sort of improvement, I would lean toward thinking it's a urease producer - or get the urease breath test from your doctor - IMHO, the blood test is useless -
    http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Myrrh-Gum-Capsules/dp/B000S86T5E/ref=sr_1_1?&ie=UTF8&qid=1438195451&sr=8-1&keywords=myrrh gum&pebp=1438195460371&perid=0TRZR49QVVX2VXJW54GT

the myrrh gum or mastic gum will inhibit the production of urease in the bugs living in your stomach, thus giving you an improvement - if you have GERD, this is also a huge tell IMHO...

Or, like my kid, you could have both pseudomonas and campy...

This is the stuff I use to kill urease producers:
    http://www.amazon.com/Biotics-Research-Bio-HPF-180C/dp/B000UQPI7Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1438195958&sr=1-1&keywords=bio hpf&pebp=1438195964372&perid=1CBR0SQWK2E7GYN2NW4R

It is said for every year that you live, your odds increase 1% of having one of these babies...:)

Digestive enzymes are fantastic IMHO - I take these because they have ox bile (fat digestion), betaine HCL, plus the normal enzymes:
    http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Super-Enzymes-Capsules/dp/B0013OXKHC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438196113&sr=8-1&keywords=now enzymes&pebp=1438196116665&perid=0HNRD7JZW83FH5DM4B67

Naturally, it also means your environment is still wrecking you life - you might find when you move that all these troubles go away - if not, it means IMHO your new environment is just as crappy as your old one...

Keep us posted:)