1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Gals, anyone want to buddy on a Leptin Reset?

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by KruseKadet, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Had a hectic and emotional week (camping trip plus both kids off to college) but stayed on track for the most part. (I am having a square or two of dark chocolate after dinner, about every other day.)

It’s a good question about how to track progress. I will keep much better notes now that I can focus more on this. The weight issue is not urgent for me. 8-10 pounds of “reshaping” would be nice but I’m pretty happy the way I am. Counting on CT to do most of the reshaping, along with more hiking this fall.

My husband, however, is getting frustrated since he MUST lose 13 pounds over the next month or our health insurance premium for next year will be $2,000 higher. Yeah, crazy I know.

He had been snacking (and a bit of sneaking) but has now cut that out as far as I know.

I suspect another problem was the huge 5 pound tub of cottage cheese from Sam’s Club (whole other story for another day) that he devoured in about a week, before we cut out most dairy. I had one small bowl but it didn’t feel right—made me phlemmy. Gross.

Our food choices have been really good I think. I’ll list them in another post.

He is doing neither sun nor CT, which I know is the main problem. He managed to lose the weight last year without those things so is reluctant now.

Oh, and for those who are new to all this, I HIGHLY recommend reading through the recipes section. (I’m not sure why there is a separate Community Cookbook thread—seems redundant?) Lots of good info on pork belly with a quick search.

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?forums/epi-paleo-recipes.31/

And of course read Jack’s book if you haven’t already.

KrusinWitchie likes this.
  2. drezy

drezy Gold

Lol. Well if that's not good then there goes my 50 gallon drum of Fluff then.

[​IMG]

Sheddie and Phosphene like this.
  3. johnsonmd

johnsonmd Gold

Remember, the insulin shuts down about 3 hours after a meal. You cannot lose weight unless that has happened. No snacking!

4. I keep screwing up my meals.... excellent + crap = crap :(

5. drezy

drezy Gold

6. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

That thread is awesome—like a PHd crammed into a GED. Hope it gets spread around some more. I’m going to take my own advice and print everything for sunny weekend reading.

My takeaway so far about the Hazda is that unless and until we live naked on the equator, we CANNOT eat shit on a shingle...?

Cheryl. likes this.
  7. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Alright. Going to breakdown the last week’s food now (from memory because I was a dumny and didn’t write it down).

Friday: leftovers for lunch, then plans to arrive at campground around 7 and set up, cook, and eat before sundown go awry with late start and screwball weather. Anxious waiting for one son to arrive in huge storm with no cell service. General chaos of new campground and people (club event). I’m not really hungry, but then get cranky setting up camp in rainy unfamiliar darkness. Everyone else has brought cold convenience food—sandwiches, salads, sushi (brilliant) and I kick myself for not doing the same. I could (and should) dig out the oysters but just can’t. The boys make due with their beloved protein bars (yes I know...) and we all finally settle into our sleeping bags by 10pm or so. Thankfully we all sleep pretty well with the patter of gentle rain on the cabin roof.

Saturday: I sleep through sunrise in the rainy gloom, and let everyone else sleep later, grateful we all arrived safely. Make sausage, eggs and black cowboy coffee for breakfast. (Regret not bringing the French press, but we make due...) Finish by 9:00 in time for the Orienteering workshop someone has organized. (Really fun—will journal more about that.)

There’s barely an hour for lunch and still too wet for a fire so I scrap plans for pork kebabs and make tuna salad instead, mixed with a little mayo and some homemade salsa, plus hard boiled eggs. Not bad, and holds us over for an afternoon hike.

Scrap plans for pre-dinner swim due to thunderstorm. Dinner is potluck, and we are golden with bunless burgers and decent salads and raw veggies. The Keto Baba Ganoush (eggplant dip) I brought was actually good on the burgers.

After dinner the others are tired and head to the cabin early. I’m psyched that the rain finally stopped long enough for a fire, and there are of course s’mores. I escape (barely) with just a small piece of chocolate. The toasted marshmallows are SO tempting, but I resist by just staring at the fire and imagining eating them... Bed by 10pm again.

Sunday: I’m awake around sunrise and quietly go out to stand barefoot in the drizzle for awhile, fending off mosquitos. Come back in and read till the others wake. Food is all up at the main lodge because of potential bears. End up skipping breakfast because don’t want to mess with more eggs in the cast iron while packing up. Morning session is intro to backpacking by an energetic young lady who just did the entire Appalachian Trail solo. What a challenge. Juices flowing there...

Lunch is a compromise since it’s raining again and the boys need to get back. The seafood restaurant we found was packed with at least an hour wait, and we are all starving by now. (Not to mention smelly.) so it ends up a salad at Wendy’s which was surprisingly low carb with bacon and real guacamole. Should have subbed out the grilled chicken for a burger patty but wasn't thinking.

Okay, that’s enough babbling for now. I think the lesson is...this way of eating needs lots of planning to keep it interesting, especially with a family. Though I’m sure I over-complicate things trying to please everyone...

KrusinWitchie and caroline like this.
  8. johnsonmd

johnsonmd Gold

Wow! Tuff camping trip!
    We camp almost every weekend this summer because we are building a cabin. I have a propane cook top. I use a French press for Hubby's coffee. Usually have precooked ham, sausage and cheese to go with eggs. German sausage or ham in case needed. Cooked seasoned taco meat, salad, tomatoes, peppers. Chopped meat and veggies for stirfry. Often have steak to BBQ. Smoked oysters and sardines are easy too! Of course shish kabob stuff too!

Phosphene likes this.
  9. caroline

caroline Moderator

It depends how thick the pork belly is ..... I usually get it at the supermarket. I sometimes get it from an organic farmer ....but we have to roll over our super to do that ...lol

Christine_L and Phosphene like this.
  10. caroline

caroline Moderator

Do you guys eat black pudding? my fave.......

Green Eyes likes this.
  11. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Hmmm. Black pudding...Mushy blood sausage. Sounds disgusting but I do like it, and surprisingly hard to find here in central PA Amish country. Scrapple is ubiquitous here (spiced pork scraps boiled with cornmeal and set into blocks, then sliced and fried). Tasty but...cornmeal. How do you make blood pudding/sausage without some sort of mealy binder/thickener?

12. Cool I will get some!
    Havent tried black pudding either.

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

I try not to sweat the small stuff.............

Phosphene likes this.
  14. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Still very much learning how to not sweat the small stuff. Seems like Kruse protocols are chock full of important small stuff.

Made grass fed beef/lamb meatballs today, some to take on a weekend trip. Mixture even tasted good raw, and I haven’t died yet. :rofl:

Thanks for the idea Caroline! Will post recipe later if I can remember what I threw in.

71117DE6-C9C6-4A47-8077-455BB026E1BE.jpeg

KrusinWitchie, Jax and caroline like this.
  15. caroline

caroline Moderator

MAYBE
    Maybe I shouldn't say "don't sweat the small stuff" details are hugely important here - and in life. If you are doing the leptin RX - details do matter big time.

But if I am going to have black pudding once a month and it isn't exactly ideal - I won't sweat that ....just enjoy!

There was a podcast with Gerald Pollack [I think] ...he was asked what he does to protect himself and his family. His answer was that he does what/all he can in his immediate environment - and then gets on with his life.

Maybe that is way too simplistic?

Some folks here really went astray because of details that they didn't think were important. When Jack gives us a protocol every step and nuance is important. Sometimes we do miss the elephant in the room - I know that I do. I do eventually have a light bulb moment tho.

We just can't be blasé and think that some things matter and other things don't......well we can ...but success will elude us.

Only my opion of course.....

KrusinWitchie and Phosphene like this.
  16. caroline

caroline Moderator

BTW ..... nice balls!

17. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Gonna need balls that big to enforce the protocols around here. :rolleyes:

caroline and drezy like this.
  18. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Have some good news to report! My husband has had resounding success and weighed in at his employer’s wellness program below goal weight, and a week early!

So about 20 pounds lost in 2 months. :thumbsup::)

Winning combination of my epi-paleo cooking and his willpower. Now to keep it going—he really should lose more. Mentioned that if he can get his BMI under 30 by February he won’t have to deal with this nonsense next year. Of course there are many other incentives as well.

I’ve lost about 5 pounds as well, so half my goal.

19. drezy

drezy Gold

Here's a mascot for him:
    [​IMG]