1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Gagnrad's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Gagnrad, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Glad you liked it, Tanya.

2. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Here's a remarkable essay from one of the greatest living philosophers in the English-speaking world on fake ideas and fake emotions. It's mostly about high culture and art in particular:

http://aeon.co/magazine/world-views/roger-scruton-fake-culture/

3. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Well worth a read in my opinion, I especially liked this bit:

"The fake intellectual invites you to conspire in his own self-deception, to join in creating a fantasy world. He is the teacher of genius, you the brilliant pupil. Faking is a social activity in which people act together to draw a veil over unwanted realities and encourage each other in the exercise of their illusory powers."

4. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Oh, dear, spam.

I once posted an email address online some years ago in a discussion about Apple computers. Never again. Any email address that's online anywhere gets read by automated devices and, as it were, hoovered up to be spammed.

I just got a spam email that that reads: "There are four women within ten miles of you looking for casual sex."

Blimey! If that doesn't take the biscuit.

This is just link-bait, of course. But actually, modern mores being what they are, I should think that 4 is an underestimate for an area of that size. But never mind …

Four, huh? Perhaps when I was on the train the other day the girl in the very short white dress who stepped back and pushed her bottom into my groin was one of them. I guess it could have been an accident, but she was certainly in no hurry to remove it again, and I couldn't step back without making inappropriate contact with the woman behind me. Southern Railways -

http://www.southernrailway.com

- this is your fault. Please consider buying some more coaches, so that people can sit down.

5. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Here's a poem that's relevant to the season - "Spring and Fall" by Gerard Manley Hopkins:

http://www.potw.org/archive/potw29.html

Those who aren't familiar with it may like to take a look at the notes on the poem here:

http://www.sparknotes.com/poetry/hopkins/section4.rhtml

It's a shame they've misquoted the ninth line there. There are some useful comments there, though. I like the way that the rhythm and the changes within it are pointed to, and that the alliteration is mentioned. The writer is mistaken in saying "Hopkins’s choice of the American word 'fall' rather than the British 'autumn' is deliberate" though. "Fall" is old usage over here, although it was long "dialectical" and is now obsolete.

What I think is nice is that it should become obvious upon reflection upon what's said there that the form and content are inseparable. Can that point be made too often? The poem is as it is because of this rhythm - and because it is just these words in just this order. (And this, of course, is why poetry is unlike certain other forms of discourse - the reader must have the realisation I'm pointing to for himself here - as the naive have not yet realised.)

It would, of course, be a mistake to go away from those notes having the notion that they held the "meaning" of the poem. They're useful comment upon the poem: they don't replace it. Works of art don't state their conclusions (insofar as they have them); they show them.

And criticism is always no more than a provisional statement that forms the starting point for further discussion. So, for example, I could question whether this poem is really about "mortality" and not rather about "loss". And there might be an interesting discussion there. But in the end, the point is not what is said about the poem, but the poem itself, and that is what we must return to:

http://www.potw.org/archive/potw29.html

6. b612

b612 New Member

I spent the night at JFK airport yesterday.

When I finally fell into sleep and my mind was finally resting in darkness, a woman punched me and said

Sorry maaaaaaaam, we're closing this space for cleaning.

Couldn't she clean around me????

www.britishairways.com

THAT WAS SUCH A CRUEL THING TO DO

Gagnrad likes this.
  7. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Who could resist Mark Knopfler’s guitar—not to mention some of the loveliest scenery it’d be possible to imagine?

https://youtu.be/6pR1cVgk7Is

8. b612

b612 New Member

I can resist the guitar but I can't resist this :p

9. b612

b612 New Member

@Inger is your heart melting?

10. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I was catching up on a few podcasts - don't bother with them much now. Anyway, one was Robb Wolf's podcast from a few weeks back, and he was speaking to Dr. Kirk Parsley the ex-U.S. Navy doctor. This was actually quite interesting. It turns out that Kirk Parsley, over many years, developed a product to help Navy special forces soldiers sleep. It is a huge problem for many of them, because of the demands of their job. There are ingredients in it that one might expect, such as D3 and magnesium, but actually a host of others as well. I didn't look into the information on Doc Parsley's site, because it's very extensive, but if anyone's interested here it is:

http://www.sleepcocktails.com

He told Robb they're going to have to change the site name, because many companies and organisations block access to the site, since it would seem to be alcohol-related.

This shows how the year is moving on: I recently bought my Christmas cards. They come from a local hospital, which has just had a batch printed for sale. Below is a shot I took in grounds of that hospital some while ago. It's a vey beautiful and peaceful place with really extensive grounds tucked into what is still a fairly secluded area of the Sussex–Kent border.

Attached Files:

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

sleep requires AM UV light to regenerate the RPE and ocular melatonin so anyone with a deficiency of UV light usually has a low D3.......but a low D3 is not tied to a sleep problem if UV is gained via the eye.

Gagnrad and Joe Gavin like this.
  12. notsoperfick

notsoperfick New Member

That's the place that's close to your heart isn't it? Looks lovely.

Gagnrad likes this.
  13. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Yes, it is.

14. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

A friend just came back from holiday in Holland. She gave me a Gouda cheese as a present. It's a whole cheese, and even though it's a relatively small whole cheese I'm wondering whether I'm going to get through it all before it's past its best. I think this is going to be not at all like what is sold as Gouda in this country. It is made from raw, organic milk and smells like cheese - not of nothing or of plastic. Cheese may not be paleo, but it's right up my street.

15. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Here's an interesting interview from Vinnie Tortorich, who bills himself as America's Angriest Trainer. Here he's talking to a doctor about pain.

What's quite interesting is that this doctor says that chronic pain - as opposed to acute pain - is often not "structural". He says we need to look at "the psyche, the emotions, the patient's thinking patterns". He's saying that these feed into the nervous system and often make the pain far worse or even keep it alive when, otherwise, it might just go away. This is all very interesting and, it seems to me, plausible. It certainly fits in with several observations and experiences that we know about from elsewhere. And he also says that by using various techniques to challenge and break down some of these thinking patterns he can and has made some people's chronic pain go away.

Here's the interview on Vinnie's site:

http://vinnietortorich.com/2015/09/fighting-pain-with-the-brain-with-dr-schecter/

This interview can also be found in iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/celebrity-fitness-trainer/id521811037?mt=2

16. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I dropped a Pillivuyt dinner plate yesterday. It bounced and was unharmed. It's amazing how strong porcelain is.

And Pillivuyt is very good stuff. Vive la France! :)

17. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

18. b612

b612 New Member

Why do you care things are paleo or not.
    Nothing is paleo nowadays.

Things we eat don't have the same structure as they did in real paleo times.
    Even trees look sick and tired. Food we eat is dead in terms of nutrition.
    We don't know what we eat, organic or not.

What's left from paleo times is sun, light and magnetism. We lost our food, but we can't lose that...

19. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Do I? I'm actually more WAPF than paleo.

But this site's owner said that Cordain's The Paleo Answer was so spot on as regarded diet that he didn't need to do any research himself on the matter. (I forget where he said this: but he did say it.) He did add, however, that Cordain had not seen all the implications of his own data, but - hey - he wasn't exactly running the guy down.

I doubt anyone with sense would myself. There's some 3rd-rate knockdown stuff about paleo (and low carb) around on the internet now. Some of it is motivated by malice - people don't like to be told they're wrong (even when they are). Some of it is pure ignorance. I think that battle was won intellectually a long time ago, though. Cordain is a little rigid and I doubt a few lentils, for example, or the occasional slice of sourdough bread is going to harm most people. But he's made a very useful contribution to the debate. This isn't just anyone slinging around a few simple ideas you know (even if undereducated loudmouthed fools like Alan Levinovitz might think so). Cordain is a qualified biochemist and spends hours each day reading academic papers and thinking about these matters. The Paleo Answer is the fruit of some quarter of a century of that. As I say, I prefer the WAPF approach, but I respect Cordain. I don't throw stones at better men than I.

20. b612

b612 New Member

No, I just noticed that you say paleo very often.
    I think paleo can't work in bad environment.

Imagine that meds didn't exist... What would you do with your thyroid? Diet alone would't be able to change much.
    It helped me a lot with my problems but big changes started to happen when I let the light in my life... iodine and love.

I like what Jack said here you cannot harvest enough UV light from any diet........you need constant recharging of the mammalian battery with sunlight