1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Gagnrad's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Gagnrad, Jan 20, 2014.

1. sooperb

sooperb New Member

An attractive book, I can imagine there are more gems within it's covers. I may add it to my collection :)

2. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I just read this rebuke:

"You take it for granted that every man in the world is crooked except yourselves."​

That struck me, and I tried reminded myself not to think the worst of anyone. It made me think of Søren Kierkegaard, whom Jack mentioned recently, specifically of his essay "Love Covereth a Multitude of Sins".

Wherever love is present, it spreads bold confidence. We like to be near someone who loves, because he casts out fear. Whereas the mistrustful person scares everyone away, whereas the crafty and cunning spread anxiety and painful disquietude around them, whereas the presence of a domineering person is as oppressive as the heavy pressure of sultry air--love gives bold confidence. …

Love hides a multitude of sins, because love prevents the sin from coming into existence, smothers it at birth …

The authorities frequently have to devise very ingenious ways to keep a criminal imprisoned, and the physician often uses great inventiveness in working out coercive means to control an insane person, but in connection with sin there are no surroundings as controlling, but also there are no controlling surroundings as redeeming, as love. How often has not the anger that smouldered within, only waiting for an occasion, how often has it not been smothered because love gave no occasion! … Has not the vexation in the soul often been stilled that was so sure of and so prepared, yes, so poised for finding ever new occasions to be vexed by the world, by people, by God, by everything, has it not often been stilled by a more lenient mood, because love gave no occasion whatever to be vexed! …

Stanford:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kierkegaard/

3. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

It has.

There's this translation by John Milton of one of Horace's Odes, for example. I think it captures the pain of erotic love very well. I remember someone recently commenting that you don't have to explain why roses are a symbol of love: first you see the beauty of the flower, and then you notice the thorns.

HORACE, ODES 1. 5, TRANS. BY JOHN MILTON
    The Fifth Ode of Horace. Lib. I

Quis multa gracilis te puer in Rosa, Rendred almost word for word without Rhyme according to the Latin Measure, as near as the Language will permit

What slender Youth bedewed with liquid odours
    Courts thee on Roses in some pleasant Cave,
    Pyrrha for whom bind’st thou
    In wreaths thy golden Hair,
    Plain in thy neatness? O how oft shall he
    On Faith and changed Gods complain: and Seas
    Rough with black winds and storms
    Unwonted shall admire:
    Who now enjoys thee credulous, all Gold,
    Who always vacant, always amiable
    Hopes thee; of flattering gales
    Unmindfull. Hapless they
    To whom thou untri’d seems’t fair. Me in my vowd
    Picture the sacred wall declares t’ have hung
    My dank and dropping weeds
    To the stern God of Sea.

4. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

5. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

How about some more poetry? This, by A. E. Housman, is for the anniversary of the Great War, which falls this year.

Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
    The hour when earth's foundations fled,
    Followed their mercenary calling,
    And took their wages, and are dead.
    Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
    They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
    What God abandoned, these defended,
    And saved the sum of things for pay.

This is the B.E.F. in 1914. The B.E.F. was a professional army, hence "Army of Mercenaries". The Kaiser referred to it as "Britain's contemptible little army".

The Kaiser seems to have been good at projecting an unattractive personality through his words. Here's what he said about the Chinese:

Anyway, small the B.E.F may have been, but the British and French stopped the German advance on the Marne. These old soldiers were so fast at loading and firing their rifles that German units are said to have believed they were advancing against machine guns when it was simply rifle fire.

Here is one of the cleverest of Kipling's short stories on the War. When you get to the end of the story you realise that it has to be read in a totally different way. (This really is a story that can "only be understood backwards".) I shan't say any more, so as not to spoil it for anyone who sees this and is interested enough to read it:

http://www.greatwar.nl/books/gardener/gardener.html

6. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

caroline likes this.
  7. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

George Borrow:

I was bidding him farewell, when he hemmed once or twice, and said, that as he did not live far off, he hoped that I would go with him and taste some of his mead. As I had never tasted mead, of which I had frequently read in the compositions of the Welsh bards, and, moreover, felt rather thirsty from the heat of the day, I told him that I should have great pleasure in attending him. ...

Having given my horse his portion, I told the old man that I was ready to taste his mead as soon as he pleased, whereupon he ushered me into his cottage, where, making me sit down by a deal table in a neatly sanded kitchen, he produced from an old-fashioned closet a bottle, holding about a quart, and a couple of cups, which might each contain about half a pint, then opening the bottle and filling the cups with a brown-coloured liquor, he handed one to me, and taking a seat opposite to me, he lifted the other, nodded, and saying to me—“Health and welcome,” placed it to his lips and drank.

“Health and thanks,” I replied; and being very thirsty, emptied my cup at a draught; I had scarcely done so, however, when I half repented. The mead was deliciously sweet and mellow, but appeared strong as brandy; my eyes reeled in my head, and my brain became slightly dizzy. “Mead is a strong drink,” said the old man, as he looked at me, with a half smile on his countenance. “This is at any rate,” said I, “so strong, indeed, that I would not drink another cup for any consideration.” “And I would not ask you,” said the old man; “for, if you did, you would most probably be stupid all day, and wake the next morning with a headache. Mead is a good drink, but woundily strong, especially to those who be not used to it, as I suppose you are not.” “Where do you get it?” said I. “I make it myself,” said the old man, “from the honey which my bees make.” “Have you many bees?” I inquired. “A great many,” said the old man. “And do you keep them,” said I, “for the sake of making mead with their honey?” “I keep them,” he replied, “partly because I am fond of them, and partly for what they bring me in; they make me a great deal of honey, some of which I sell, and with a little I make some mead to warm my poor heart with, or occasionally to treat a friend with like yourself.” “And do you support yourself entirely by means of your bees?” “No,” said the old man; “I have a little bit of ground behind my house, which is my principal means of support.” “And do you live alone?” “Yes,” said he; “with the exception of the bees and the donkey, I live quite alone.” “And have you always lived alone?” The old man emptied his cup, and his heart being warmed with the mead, he told his history, which was simplicity itself. ...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/422/422-h/422-h.htm

8. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I found this over the bank-holiday weekend. It reminds me a little of Walter de la Mere and at the same time is wholly of the Hebrides where it was written. I think it perfect in its way. It dates from 1937 and is by Alistair Mclean.

Said the thriving man to the tinker’s wife,
    “Spell me the secret of your happy life.

“I could not bide it, I was never made
    To couch in bracken with the birch for shade.

“And hills I love not, their ironic smile
    Seems scornful of the things I hold worth while.

“Nor am I ravished of the woodland note
    That breaks in tumult from the merle’s apt throat.

“Yet you love them all. But why? What’s the art,
    That turns rose-petal into quiet of heart?”

“Ah, easy to answer,” she softly said,
    “I’m richer than you—that’s your riddle read.

“Have you heard fir-music? Or the whisp’ring tales
    That the tide brings in when the white moon pales?

“Or glimpsed the slim grace of the tall June grass
    Bowing demurely to the winds that pass?

“Or strayed through a glen where wild violet grew
    And thought, “Well, Heaven will be nothing new?”

“So I envy none—if I’m poor, I’m free
    To the feast love spreads for the like o’ me.”

sooperb and caroline like this.
  9. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

studies drive me nuts!!!

11. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Tanya likes this.
  12. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Sure. And time is limited. But no one's got any business publishing an article saying a study says this or says that without actually reading it, and pretty carefully at that. But it looks as though this is what the Huffington Post has done.

13. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Here's the famous passage on the hazelnut from Lady Julian. Whatever anyone makes of this aside the beauty, clarity and, as she might have said, homeliness of her expression can hardly be denied:

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/julian/revelations.ii.ii.html

There is kind of trust in the nature of things she has that is very appealing. She was actually living in a fairly disturbed time. But at bottom she is sure that

al shal be wel, and al shall be wel, and al manner thyng shal be well
    Here's a thought. Maybe the Ancestral Health Movement is more appealing when it strikes a hopeful note rather than trading off fear.

14. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I'm assuming that the article has got it wrong and that there's a study which proves the opposite but which wasn't linked to that article?

15. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

The Huffington Post does link the study. It's here:

http://www.onlinecjc.ca/article/S0828-282X(14)00237-2/abstract

However, whether its writer has interpreted it correctly ... I guess that's the issue.

My comment on the Caveman Doctor was meant as a general comment on what people do. I think he's spot on there. Whether he's right in this particular case I don't know. I'm sure he's read the paper and assessed the data it's drawing on (and its limitations) and the way the authors interpret it (and their limitations) with some care.

I think I would be very surprised to find that omega-3s are not supportive of heart health.

I hope the Caveman Doctor does another podcast soon. If he does maybe he will talk about this in some detail.

16. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Here's an interview with an expert from the U.S. NIH on omega-3s and omega-6s:

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2013...-more-heart-deaths-nih-scientist-joe-hibbeln/

What's particularly interesting is that they found looking at data from a Sydney study from the 1960s that men who were told to eat omega-6 rich oils instead of butter did, indeed, achieve lower cholesterol scores. Unfortunately, they died more often. Heart disease death was higher, and all-cause mortality was also higher. This was "lost data" until last year.

17. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Did we notdiscuss this when the story broke in the daily mail? If not,looking at the abstract of how the study was set up might tell us something. Water causes temporary blindness.....when you drink it in a dark room.

18. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I don't know -- I don't recall anything. But this is fairly recent:

http://www.onlinecjc.ca/article/S0828-282X(14)00237-2/abstract

It says there it was first published online on 14th April. It's another look at 1970s research rather than a study itself.

19. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Ah ok, I misread and thought it was another study but had no time to look into it.Will do later.

20. Tanya

Tanya Gold