1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Gagnrad's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Gagnrad, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Tanya

Tanya Gold

That is so sad.... It is so shocking to me that with all the social justice causes being constantly championed, there is such growing indifference to another human being....

2. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I think people's perspectives are certainly changing, we are being taught on the one hand that there are many who need our help and we should be generous to them and on the other that we need to take care of No. 1 first and let others take care of themselves. Compassion for our neighbours has been replaced with closed doors whilst our TVs are telling us to give, give, give to all the world' sdisaster areas, it's becoming very unbalanced.

Mike how did you find the sheet, any tingling?

3. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Perhaps it's the sheer pace and scale of modern life. Less so for you in the North Country, of course, but the population density is getting of the scale here in the South East, to the point that the infrastructure can hardly keep up with it. People will start having to hang off the roofs of the trains soon, because they're packed shoulder-to-shoulder standing inside now (and I mean down on the coast not in capital). We're a long way past the point where everyone knows everyone else. Aristotle said that if someone calling for help at one end of your city couldn't be heard at the other you knew your city had got too big. He should see London. And life is so frenetic and draining. How this could be when we have "labour saving devices" I can't imagine … :D

Someone who'd holidayed in Ireland told me they were astounded to find that when you stood at the side of the road to cross out in the country drivers would stop to let you walk across. You'd probably have to go back to the 1950s to find anything like that in England, I'd have thought.

No, it doesn't tingle. I don't get any explicit symptoms from it: it might as well be unconnected to the earth for all I know it's on. How pets sense them I don't know. But I think it helps me. I certainly feel very well at present.

4. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Are you plugged into the domestic socket or a rod outside? You may be pretty well grounded already :)

5. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I haven't got hold of an outside rod yet. The sheet came with adaptor plug for the mains socket, so that's what I'm currently using. I know it's not as good.

I'm pretty much convinced that all of us need more grounding: the weight of evidence in Ober's book seems overwhelming to me. I don't get time for much grounding of any other sort, either -- walking barefoot or whatnot -- so I don't think I am. I think it's just that I've no specific problem area that would start to tingle as it corrected.

My right toe does pop a little if I flex it -- it used to be a little swollen and sometimes painful before I started to eat WAPF/paleo: it's very rare for it to hurt now, but it does pop. But that pop seems to be going away, and I can only think it's the grounding. I have felt more energetic recently, and I certainly haven't had any aches and pains (although I tend not to get them, anyway). But all that's more vague.

I think: "How do you know it works, if you haven't got some condition like peripheral neuropathy that starts to heal with it?" is a difficult one.

6. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I think Ober built a pretty impressive case for it and I'm sure it's helped me. Just as in the beginning I could feel the tingling (I don't now) I have lost the ankle pain on rising and although I still get back discomfort whilst in bed, once up it vanishes. I also credit the sheet with reducing the awful anxiety/panic I used to experience, that's all but stopped. As I had all these things before I got the sheet and mat and don't have most of them now, I would rate it as successful. I walk barefoot indoors always, we have a slate floor in the utility room and I get to stand on that a fair bit plus I take my shoes off when dog walking if the weather/conditions allow.

My sleep pattern improved a lot too. I can only be happy about that because it was rubbish. It's not perfect but I'm working on it with the blue blockers and trying to get to bed earlier (not so successful alas).

Lahelada and Gagnrad like this.
  7. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Just been checking your link. George MacDonald books are free on Kindle :rolleyes: I have got me a couple, should be interesting reading, Fairy tales. I see C.S. Lewis was a fan, well if he was influenced by MacDonald, his fairy tales should be full of hidden messages lol.

8. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Point -- i.e. LOL -- taken. I'd add that Lewis did make it clear that his stories were not allegories, though.

Lewis is very perceptive on MacDonald. (Professionally he was a literary historian, of course, and reading books closely and seeing what the writer was doing was meat and drink to him.) He particularly liked the "Curdie books": The Princess and the Goblin and The Princess and Curdie. He points out that the mysterious old lady is up in the attic and the goblins down in the basement, which suggests that there are psychological parallels about the human soul to be drawn. (Not, I guess, that the story is simply to be translated into those terms in a rigid way.) There's also the curious part in the story where Curdie, the miner boy, repeatedly dreams that he's awake. Lewis suggests in a letter to his friend Arthur Greaves that there's a religious message here. MacDonald sometimes uses sleep/waking as a metaphor for religious conversion, and takes very seriously the New Testament teaching that it's necessary to "die to the self". Lewis says to Greaves that he thinks there is a danger, especially for imaginative people like them, to think this is done, when really it's all still to do. You only dreamed you were awake.

MacDonald uses the same theme in an adult fantasy he wrote, Lilith. The passage is hauntingly beautiful:

9. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Lilith is one that I have chosen :)

10. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

The Sunday Telegraph asked the former Archbishop of Canterbury whether Britain was "still a Christian country". Apparently, he went quiet for some time, thinking it about it, "put his head on one side" and said, effectively, that we lived in a culture that had been shaped by Christianity but that most people didn't go to church regularly any more. I wonder why anyone needs to think for more than ten seconds or put his head on one side to say that. It's nothing to do with opinions or whether one thinks this should be so or should not be so. Clearly it is the case, and should be obvious to anyone. The Sunday Telegraph seems to think Lord Williams is profound and takes its first leading article to tell us so. He's never struck me as such, although I grant he's learned: I doubt you'd find anyone at the Telegraph, for example, who'd read Hegel in the original German.

But I must not be so acid.

11. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I've just started re-reading the biography of Edgar Cayce, There is a River, which I first read some years ago.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Edgar-Cayce-There-River/dp/0876043759/

It's interesting from the first paragraph of the preface. What I'd forgotten is the suggestion there that Cacye's "sleeping" was a form of self-hypnosis. Further, that when hypnotism first came on the scene in the 18th century it was (a) tied up with the use of magnets and (b) with clairvoyance and medical diagnoses given in trance (if that's the right word).

There are obvious linkages here to some of the phenomena mentioned in the thread on the unusual abilities of some autistic people. The "hat" used by the Australian researchers uses magnets. Also, see, for example, the comment from @nonchalant here:

http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/hmmmm-savant-syndrome.10614/page-2#post-123212

There, her friend, under hypnosis, can remember the customer's face and even the backs of his hands. This person can access memories that just aren't available to him or her in the waking state.

What's special about the Cayce "readings" (and, as I say, it appears he was not unique) is that it appears that in the hypnotic state he was accessing other minds. This seems to be what most people who came into contact with the phenomenon thought -- or they speak of a "universal mind" or, in Jungian language, of "the collective unconscious".

Apparently, back in the 18th century a Frenchman (not Mesmer, this is before him) would hypnotise apparently inarticulate and uneducated peasants using magnets and they would become articulate -- and, like Cayce, sometimes give medical diagnoses. The medical profession was not pleased, and this side of the phenomenon has been discouraged and dropped from mention. Not difficult to discredit it, of course, because we just don't understand what's going on. How interesting, though!

12. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

13. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Sorry, Professor Cordain.

Attached Files:

14. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

15. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

16. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I can't really understand why they would want to create all that upset and spend all that money on something we just don't need? If they were working on putting freight back on to the railways and thus taking some lorries off the road then fine, but far better that they keep our existing railways up to scratch than just throw away billions on something we don't need.

Snowie likes this.
  17. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Here's a dramatic way of expressing a truth about consciousness that I happened to hear again yesterday. I don't know where it originally comes from.

The point is that consciousness is mysterious and eludes us. You cannot observe it. This would be like trying to take your eyeballs out in order to look at them.

18. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

A translation from Sappho by Francis Fawkes (1760):

The Pleiads now no more are seen,
    Nor shines the silver moon serene,
    In dark and dismal clouds o'ercast;
    The love-appointed hour is past:
    Midnight usurps her sable throne,
    And yet, alas! I lie alone.

Here's the same poem as translated by A. E. Housman (1893):

The weeping Pleiads wester,
    And the moon is under seas;
    From bourn to bourn of midnight
    Far sighs the rainy breeze:

It sighs from a lost country

To a land I have not known;
    The weeping Pleiads wester,
    And I lie down alone.

Housman's version doesn't work for me, but somehow I can almost see her lying there and thinking that's she's alone in the Fawkes poem. I'm not sure why.

19. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I love them both, different yet the same. How do you find these things?

20. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member