1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Gagnrad's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Gagnrad, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I'm currently about 20lbs overweight after drifting from strict Paleo over the last few months. Fortunately, it doesn't notice too badly, since I'm 6 foot, but I'd gone from 32" to 34" in trousers, and even those were beginning to get tight.

I've been purposely eating to be in ketosis since New Year. I haven't got a proper ketone meter. I'm generally up to light violet (8 mmol/L) or dark pink (4 mmol/L) on the ketostix, but how efficiently I'm burning β-hydroxybutyrate as yet I don't know.

Breakfast:

Cod liver oil 1tsp
    2 oz beefsteak and
    2 eggs fried in ghee
    ½ cup beef bone-broth
    ½ cup live sauerkraut
    8 fl. oz. mug of coffee with 1tsp ghee and 1tsp coconut oil

I plugged that data into Fitday just to see. Surprisingly, it only came to 493Kcal (69% fat, 28% protein, 3% carbs). Usually, I'd eat rather more, but then I often eat an avocado, which comes to a fair bit by itself, or nuts or cheese with the meat and eggs.

Going to work was an unplanned adventure this morning. I got carded by the Royal Mail to say they'd impounded a package sent me as the sender forgot to put a stamp on it. Now the delivery office now doesn't open to the public till 7:30 but the train leaves at 7:39. Turns out the package was a magazine sent me by a charity I sent a cheque to. They should have been organised enough not to forget the stamp, but I guess I'll forgive them as it's a charity.

I end up sprinting up the footbridge to get over to the right platform to board the train, which is coming in as I get to the station. I may no longer be young, and I am currently carrying extra fat, but when I want to move explosively I still can. So I went up pretty much all out. I have done enough bodywork to be able to stay very "open" even when putting out extra effort and to stay focused and balanced and aware. All the same, it probably wasn't too bright an idea on a cold morning. But there didn't seem to be any frost on the steps, although it was a cold day. I lost traction just as I got off the stairs onto the level bit. Maybe it was the shift of posture, but certainly it was a little frosted up there. Fortunately I managed to land on the whole of both forearms (slightly more on the left), but I slid. The surface was like roofing felt with tiny grit in. I grazed the heel of my left hand and took a slight bruise towards the elbow. But that was all. I heard a girl hurrying up behind me call out, "Are you all right?" so I said, "Fine." She went past, then soon she's clattering down the other side to the platform. I was going slower down these steps, faster than normal, but staying light and balanced, because it's obviously far more dangerous to rush downstairs, and I could see they were a little frosted. Then I saw her go. Fortunately, she caught the handrail and carried on. The perils of trying to get to work on time …

As my hand had begun to drip blood, I tied a handkerchief round it. A fun way to begin the day. Painful, but only really superficial damage.

Salad dressed with olive oil and some wild red salmon for lunch, followed by 90% dark chocolate. I've got some fresh tuna for this evening.

I heard Nora Gedgaudas on a podcast the other day going on (at excruciating length: she seems a very nice lady but I couldn't take the prolixity and gave up listening eventually) about mega-fauna, and even, so it seemed, implying that fish wasn't real Paleolithic food. But I love seafood, and it certainly seems to have been very important at some crucial stages in our evolution.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Welcome Mike! I guess you hope all your mornings aren't quite that adventuresome! The same thing happened to me rushing for a train .... I was slightly worse off - ripped my favorite pair of jeans but now they are quite trendy!. I was kind of a bloody mess but managed to clean myself off in the bathroom and continue on my journey!

3. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Ouch!

I see that the two top cities in the world for researching information on the Paleo Diet are Melbourne and Sydney (Google Trends). Paleo must really have struck a chord Down Under where you are. Maybe it's that outdoor life and sports-orientation you tend to have there? Or maybe you're just prepared to give things a go, and less likely to believe everything "authority" tells you?

4. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I just baulked, cod liver oil, you are a toughie then :) I bought a bottle years ago, took off the lid and OH and I tried to swallow a teaspoonful, we couldn't, it's awful. I applaud anyone that can.

5. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Got home yesterday evening to find that the heat-exchanger in my gas boiler had fractured, flooding the kitchen. We can all do with these kinds of issues on top of the everday ones, can't we?

Anyway, a heating and plumbing guy from a very local small but very reliable company came and drained the boiler and made safe for me.

I threw the contents of my fridge plus a few things on the shelves in a bag and am now staying with relatives for a few days till the kitchen dries out and the boiler gets replaced.

6. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I get the fermented CLO from Green Pastures, as recommended by the WAPF. I generally go for the "Oslo Orange" which is flavoured with orange oil and not too bad.

It comes with a little syringe. I once made the mistake of squirting the syringe too hard: the oil hit the back of my throat, and, boy, does it burn if it does that!

7. sooperb

sooperb New Member

It would have to taste of clotted cream before I could swallow it! I used take a capsule of codliver oil with butter oil but moved on to Krill oil as being purer with a higher EPA/DHA content.

Boiler trouble at this time of year is no fun, I sympathise. We once were away for a couple of weeks over a very cold Christmas, when we returned it was to find the boiler had burst some joints as had the shower fitting in the bathroom, water had been running for 2 weeks. Fortunately the boiler is in a shed outside and the bathroom was safe because the shower just ran into the bath. We had to have a new boiler, the old one couldn't be rescued but luckily the insurance paid, phew.

8. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Breakfast was an avocado and a large bowl of some beef stew followed by coffee.

I feel pretty lively, and the excess weight is still falling off.

I'm enjoying Dr. Kruse's book. Among other things the idea that diabetics are perhaps getting ready to go into a state of hibernation that never comes is fascinating. I remember this explanation being mooted in Lights Out. The new discovery about the marmots and polyunsaturated fatty acids that Jack mentions seems to make this explanation even more likely.

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

Did you have a chance to listen to the free webinar?

Guys are disgusting ....they drop weight like a house on fire! Good for you! Sounds like a great breakfast - do you do BPC?

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

I was just thinking about the time I passed out in the street (over fasted) someone called an ambulance. The ER doc asked me to take down my jeans to see where the blood was coming from. I really had to hesitate ... I couldn't remember if I had put underwear on.....

11. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

LOL

I couldn't get the webinar. I'll bet it was really worth listenting to, but I've been flooded out and am now staying where there's no internet connection, and I can't really download stuff in the day.

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

That is really interesting especially since people are so overweight here. Aren't we second to the U.S. now?
    There is also a huge drinking culture here.
    There are a lot of Aussies on the forum .... I am not a real Aussie by the way ....a Canadian transplant. Where are you?

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Come to think of it - there are paleo cafes springing up a lot here ..

Snowie likes this.
  14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Why couldn't you get the webinar? Dr. K. Always gives it all he's got.....

Too bad about the flood... . Life is always interesting. :)

15. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I believe Australians are actually "ahead" of the U.S. on one obesity statistic now.

Ah, yeah ...

It'd be interesting to look into why Paleo is popular in Oz and NZ, wouldn't it? Maybe it's also partly linked to obesity and failing health -- at some point people start looking for answers elsewhere than where they've been looking. Seems it's growing in South Africa, too. I think that'll be partly people hearing about Dr. Tim Whatsisname (?). But again you've got an English-speaking population that likes sport and the outdoors ...

I'm in Britain.

16. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Forgot to say. I've got a good anecdote about Australia back in the 1950s (I think) ... some while ago, anyway.

Back in those days, apparently, in places that served food you often got a meat pie with some kind of boiled veg that grew well there (marrows or something? I forget) used in place of potatoes. That was about it. So there was an American anthropologist out there studying the Aborigines and he stopped in a pub or cafe or something to order a drink and some food and asked for -- shock! horror! -- a salad. The barman said: "Salad? What are you? A poof or something?"

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

cute story!..... are you referring to mushie peas?

18. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

No, this was chunks of marrow or pumpkin or something. Apparently, it "stood in for" potatoes for Aussies of those days.

AFAIK, people Down Under also used to like steaks with runny fried eggs served over them, which sounds pretty good to me.

19. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Breakfast: had the CLO. I fried a fresh tuna steak in olive oil and scrambled two eggs with a tbs of ghee, adding a dash of turmeric at the end. I also steamed about 10 small Brussels sprouts. Drizzled a little olive oil over the cooked tuna and the Brussels and squeezed some lemon juice over the fish. I then put a spoonful of fish eggs on top. Coffee (just plain black) after.

This was going some. I felt really full. I wasn't aiming for a Leptin-Reset meal, and would usually eat less protein that this, but this was a fair-sized bit of tuna (175g).

59 grams of protein in that meal, according to Mr. FitDay.

709 calories
    59% fat
    34% protein
    7% carbs

Currently, my fat is usually 70 to 80% and my protein often less than 20%.

20. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

The weekend! Here's wishing a very happy weekend to everyone here. :)

Off for a hike today with friends and family. It looks a bit overcast, but I guess we'll be OK. I shall take waterproofs and a jumper in a pack but not over-dress. Cold is good!

Part of my fueling-up breakfast this morning was sausages. I didn't make 'em (easy enough in a burger-press, I know). I didn't even go to a butcher I'm afraid. These were "Sicilian-style" sausages from Sainsburys supermarket -- one of only two varieties of sausage they do that don't contain wheat.

I've read most of Jack's book now. Really interesting stuff. I've got "7 Viking Romances" translated from the Old Norse and 2 or 3 other books waiting on the side to read.