1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Free Diving Experiences

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Danny, May 17, 2015.

1. Danny

Danny New Member

Do you free dive? Share your experiences.

I just started free diving at a spring 25 min away from my house. I've only done it twice at the spring and a few other times in a 6 ft deep pool. I'm in central Florida and the spring is 72F all year long.

I go to a depth of 20 feet. I go out to this depth and go up and down for about 10 to 15 minutes treading water while I catch my breath. This past time I believe I had a little head cold before going and after each of two 10 minute sessions I had lots of sinus drainage that came out w/ ease.
    I can only hold my breath long enough to go down to 20 ft, stay there for about 10 seconds, and then come back up.
    I notice ear pain after a depth of about 15 ft. It's alleviated for the most part when I swallow.
    I feel great afterwards, but tired. I'm taking it slow and not pushing myself too much.
    I pee like a race horse after each session and drink much more water than I usually do.
    I feel as though I'm slightly detoxing for 1 or 2 days after diving.
    I go to a spring called Weeki Wachee. They do a mermaid show :) These women will stay under water for 30 continuous min or so w/ the aid of an air hose. I wonder if the use of an air hose has any negative effects on the benefits of free diving. I wouldn't think so. Can anyone say bio-hack?

caroline likes this.
  2. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

I do but not in competition...

Mostly i do static holds, doing that for about eight years now.

One thing i would say, do not try to much by yourself, if you blackout you have nobody there to fix you. Water can really make your body work in new ways but also give you some stress that you do not know how you should react to.

Breathing thru a hose is nothing i would do, ever. So many reasons, not that i can say why in science but the idea is wrong for me.

Air from a different level is not made for you down there. You hold and let systems work instead, why? There is not a change to take a gulp of fresh air down there so you should not. The body can adapt to that environment and i strongly think you should not change the game just because you can.

Also you miss some actions with different gases in your body if you have air with you.

Cold, the great squeeze and depth makes your unit work quite nice i must say.

nonchalant likes this.
  3. Danny

Danny New Member

prAna - that makes sense about the air hose. My intuition also tells me this is not a good idea. I guess I shouldn't have made the bio-hack suggestion at the end b/c this could be dangerous. Have you ever blacked out under water? I did when I was a teenager competing w/ other kids swimming under water. I came to w/ people pounding on my back and spit up water. How deep do you go? I really try not to push myself much. I don't try to max out my breath holding and always recuperate my breathing fully before I dive back down.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Danny it tells you pseudohypoxia is likely one of your major issues.........

5. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

Never had any kind of stress in water, i said long ago that this is kind of special for me. I am really bad at swimming and can not float at surface so i sink like a rock, quite nice if you want to go deep. Under water i loose the physical rules that i have to fight against, here i am free at last.

Like i said, i never really count stuff in my life. Not making notes how fast i can run a mile, not taking data to hack, i simply do and play with nature. I guess about 20 meters in my own waters, Sweden that is.

The thing with fatigue in water is kind of special, you do not notice it coming until you crack. Why? I am no man of science and data so i use simple words... When you are out of sync with nature you can not respond with your whole presence. If you have any kind of illness in modern world, fix it first by changing world view, let nature become your reality again and then your system works in harmony... This is why so many crash in sports today, i think. You as a living thing is so distorted that your responses do not sync.

The thing with breath and dive, if you are dried and stiff like a fish on dry land, you will smash your head against the wall. If you constantly live short of air, how do you think your systems will react under the real deal, a stress test. Most do respond bad to water today, your pulse should become low in water, i see many do quite the opposite, this is also why i do not think tubes or pipe to surface is good, perfect storm to a system without harmony.

One last thing, and this is what i always ask clients, friends and others... Why?

What is your idea with freediving, is it a thing to "train" or "hack"? If so, then stress will almost always be there...

If it is because you are searching for mermaids, drunken sailors, wonderful world of sounds, green waters, lost of time and a new belonging, stress will not be there...

[​IMG]
    Photo: Annelie Pompe

Danny likes this.
  6. bionaut

bionaut New Member

We must be on the same wavelength. This morning I was looking at freediving videos and breathing techniques when you were posting :D. Been hanging around at the bottom of my pool off and on. It is getting easier every time I do it but it is challenging. I can be submerged longer if I meditate for about 10 minutes beforehand but at the most only about 20 sec at the bottom and I think that has to do with not having anything to hold onto down there.

I am energized afterwards but have not had the exhaustion you described but our depths are much different. I have been contemplating some diving weights. Kudos to you for finding that place, it looks really cool. Afterbeen practicing in the pool for a couple months I am going to have to get out there.

7. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

Also something to think about:

Most competitions are at places like DeanĀ“s blue hole where water is really warm. Most freedivers are warm water adapted but those who come from places like scandinavia and russia train in cold water mostly, often they break records as soon as they go down there. Natalia Molchanova at age 53 has 7 of 8 world records, she is Russian.

Cold water makes magic to humans.

Danny likes this.
  8. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

Another friend from scandinavia...

sjoshua likes this.
  9. Danny

Danny New Member

I was smoking while we were swimming in this instance many years ago. Literally I was smoking while doing this competition. How's that for brain damage? I definitely was psuedohypoxic when I was a smoker. I'm not sure that I was pseudohypoxic after I quit smoking at 27. Was doing really well and then screwed w/ lugol's supplementation. After a few months of supplementation I started to get shortness of breath. My breathing improved drastically w/in a day or 2 of stopping the lugols. It's been about 3 months and my shortness of breath is almost all gone, but my lung capacity has diminished. I'm hoping all of my efforts and my upcoming move will tip me back in the right direction. Jack that totally makes sense. If I have a hard time w/ such short in duration and depth free diving it obviously tells me I'm pseudohypoxic now. When I'm at sea level, it only takes one day and one night and my breathing is totally turned around. I feel as though I notice a change almost instantly. Could be psychological

10. Josh

Josh Gold

Try some acupuncture to balance things a bit and then return to the water and see if it helps. Also using enough weight to become negatively buoyant takes a lot of the effort out of it. Holding rocks that you can let go of is easy.

11. Danny

Danny New Member

I remember you saying that you live in Orlando. I believe there might be some public springs in altomonte springs.

12. Danny

Danny New Member

amazing!

13. Danny

Danny New Member

Thanks Josh! When you say 'balance things out a bit', will the acupuncturist know what I'm talking about if I say just that.

14. Danny

Danny New Member

Great advice. I definitely love the feeling as I move in the water. I feel like I'm flying.

15. Danny

Danny New Member

Jack the psuedohypoxia also makes sense after reading some of your writing on MS. I've always suspected, even more so after reading your work, that I have an undermyelinated brain.

16. Josh

Josh Gold

If you say you are having breathing issues and such, a good acupuncturist should understand what may be involved.

Danny likes this.
  17. AmelyGrimes

AmelyGrimes New Member

Maybe the cytisine can help you to quit smoking.I found an article about a new product for quiting smoking.Here is the article Natural Cytisine is helpful for smoking cessation

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  18. Danny

Danny New Member

Thanks Amely. I quit smoking 12+ years ago. I appreciate it though

19. AmelyGrimes

AmelyGrimes New Member

My pleasure....................