1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Foods to boost liver function

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by omlh@todmi.com, Aug 22, 2012.

1. omlh@todmi.com

omlh@todmi.com New Member

My youngest came up with some really nasty spontaneous bruising a week or so ago, and so our doctor ordered some blood tests. She's got to have another round of these, as her liver function test is abnormal (slightly raised ALTs), and I wondered if there were any specific foods to boost liver function. She eats well, a typical day would be coconut "cereal" (toasted coconut flakes) with coconut milk for breakfast, or eggs and bacon, soup, salad and cold meat or fish for lunch, with maybe some berries for pudding (usually with double cream, but no sugar) and meat or fish and vegetables for supper. She doesn't really snack, and she finds her asthma and eczema are more manageable if she is on the lower carb side of life (50 - 100 grams per day, and she's not underweight and is growing like a weed!). She occasionally like a mug of hot chocolate (made with unsweetened cocoa powder and coconut milk), and also occasionally like a couple of squares of 85% or higher chocolate, but in general avoids sugar like the plague. Is there anything I could be doing to help her bloods come back to normal?

2. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Olivia, I'm not sure I'm able to be helpful, but what about dandelion tea or a milk thistle supp? Also, have you read the latest blog? i'd worry more about her gut than just the liver. So minding light cycles big-time, eating epi-paleo, and working on gut flora (you could read the leaky gut Rx). Good luck.

3. omlh@todmi.com

omlh@todmi.com New Member

Haven't had enough time to really take in the latest blog posts, but I am most certainly mindful of circadian cycles for her. My biggest problem is that she returns to boarding school in two weeks (unless there is something major wrong), and whilst I'll make sure she's eating epi-paleo until then, I have no control once she returns to school ... milk thistle supplement might be a very good idea, and I'll get some whilst I'm out today! I doubt I could persuade her to drink dandelion tea, and I don't want her to really guess that there might be something seriously wrong with her unless we come to that point.