1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Food Intolerances

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by tweety, Mar 27, 2013.

1. tweety

tweety New Member

Can we talk through some food intolerance issues? Like why new intolerances show up for seemingly no good reason?

I had been eating home-fermented sauerkraut for a couple of years. In the fall, we just ran out of room in the fridge and my family got tired of it... I stopped making it. So a few weeks ago I picked up a cabbage, made a new batch and was all excited to get going again. But every time I have had it, I get horrible stomach upset. Massive bloating, indigestion... I used to eat this stuff by the heaps. I have taken probiotics until recently when I ran out. I did buy a new one but stopped taking it when I realized it had dairy, which I cannot tolerate.

But all of these things were things I happily ate with no issues, until they found there way out of my daily diet for one reason or another. And now, when I try to add them again, I can't. Now almonds and other nuts are causing me trouble.

I know my hormones have gone from all different extremes... can that wreak havoc on gut flora? I know there's a connection somewhere, just don't remember which direction or if its both? And if so, then once my hormones get more balanced will these food inolerances potentially calm down?

2. Joann

Joann New Member

I am going through same right now. I ran out of my usual probiotic, started using a different one which has 4 different bacteria instead of 2 from previous one. ugh started having softer stools...so I stopped taking any. was so bloated. I'm waited for my usual probiotic to arrive. hopefully it will help. The gut is the boss as far as I can see.

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

I seem to be more more sensitive to things ..... I need to eat very simply and mostly raw....

4. tweety

tweety New Member

Thats what I am afraid of- eating more simply means cutting more things... and I am not sure I can add them back in. I cannot convince my family to eat raw, and my husband seems to be increasingly more squeamish the more raw I eat my food! He used to be the one that accused me of overcooking my food, and now he is constantly taking things back to the kitchen to finish them. At least my kids are coming around. I can't stand an overcooked steak anymore!

5. Joann

Joann New Member

tweety, have you taken any new meds? that will definitely change gut flora

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

The farther along I am in this journey ...... I am in a much different head space ..... and food is only a chance to load up on electrons/ brain specific nutrients.
    I just love a small glass of red wine and some shrimp/salmon/seafood or raw meat and blue cheese and chocolate. If that is all I could ever have - that would be fine.
    I thoroughly enjoy it and don't get sick of it at all - not one bit and it just makes me glow and I feel so darn good!

Dr. Kruse has said many times - just concentrate on getting yourself well first and hopefully your family will follow along when they see the changes in you.
    Maybe , for now, just make food that you need for you and add in extra things for your family the way they like them .... not ideal I know.
    JK has also often said .....People don't care how much you know .... until they know how much you care .....

7. tweety

tweety New Member

Joann- no new meds other than trying different supplements, and then also working on BHRt. I don't know why but I have it in my head that my changing hormones are affecting my gut flora. I just came home with a new probiotic and am eager to try it. I also ate a bubbies pickle (which I have had so often in the past) and it gave me instantaneous bloating and pain. At least my kids enjoy bubbies.

8. Joann

Joann New Member

Had a thought.....change in weather?

just received my solgar acidophilus plus probiotics ....sometimes I think I need the transplant ugh
    too gross

I have heard women complain about bloating from bhrt so its possible. only way to know is if you stop using and see what happens.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  9. I suspect it has something to do with the SCFA in the sauerkraut and your gut. Have you done a Metametrix gi effects test?

10. tweety

tweety New Member

I did a gi effects test about a year ago, but it was genova. it told me nothing. But i was eating the sauerkraut and pickles as recently as november. i just lapsed in making them, and now i can't tolerate them.

i just added my new probiotic last night and instantly i could feel it working. so i will take this for a week, and try again with my kraut and/or bubbies to see if it helped. i had a couple of occasions where dairy came into my diet- some knowingly but the last not- and i think the healthier i get the less i tolerate these additions.

i do think i am starting to improve since stopping my progesterone. this was the most peaceful menses i have ever had! weird. and i am still thick around the middle but not bloating randomly like the last few months. i am excited for the next two months just to see if it helps.

Joann- wouldn't change in weather help gut flora? at least where we are getting more daylight?

11. Joann

Joann New Member

Tweety Idk, should it? not helping mine :( but then I live in So Cali. Was thinking the CHANGE in weather seems to bother me a lot.....temp, humidity....disturbs my sleep. my gut has a major effect on how I sleep ...waking up every few hours, and short sleep. maybe connected?

12. tweety

tweety New Member

interesting. I don't know. So many problems were masked when I first started this journey. I was an emotional, hormonal wreck- but I was at the best weight and body comp I had ever been at. I slept all night, I ate what I wanted, when I wanted... when I started addressing my hormones is when it all started to fall apart. My mood improved and I am nicer, but heavier, worst body comp yet, sleep is hit or miss, headaches are hit or miss, can't eat anything without experiencing bloating, ... it's been 15mos of this. SO I am ready for the ship to turn around now.... please. :)

13. Joann

Joann New Member

Its been 2 weeks on my usual probiotics ....still same. Yesterday was my dd's birthday, I ate small piece of custard filled and all kinds of fruit on top...it was same exact "cake" my son's b'day....Then I remembered that is when my gut escalated its misery. that was in Feb...so 2 months of this.

Interesting, hormones are making you "nicer" but bloated And body comp! to me that would be a signal its not right..no matter what the numbers are.....my opinion. water weight? E has been known to cause puffiness.
    when I first used E i was post meno, I lost 6 lbs without trying. one way to tell is if hands seem puffy or ring on ring finger too tight. do you have a doc guiding your hormones...the E and P?

14. Joann

Joann New Member

Just came across this: taking omega 3 with probiotics at the same time. saw this on tv. supposed to help the probiotics to implant in gut. It is sold together. I didnt buy it I am taking the sups I have but together this week to see what happens.