1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Flexible seafood soup

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Dali Dula, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

There are no fixed amounts or ratios for the following recipe. It always seems to work out well.

This is actually a breakfast favorite of mine.

Sautee sliced mushrooms (any kind), shallots, minced garlic in generous amount of olive or avocado oil. (Don't be afraid of the fat)

Add curry powder and black pepper (I use obscene amounts of these. You do what you like.)

Heat in separate pot lobster or seafood stock. (Made with some seaweed and shells and bodies and heads of last seafood meal)

Deglaze sautee pan (pour hot stock in slowly while scraping all the yummies off the bottom of the pan) with stock and stir until sauce consistency.

Bring to low simmer.

Stir in lobster roe or fish roe (1/4 lb per person)

Now you have a base to add any or all of the following: head on shrimp, scallops,oysters,clams, squid,lobster or whatever creature of the sea you have on hand.

Simmer till seafood is cooked which is no more than 5 min or so for all the above.

This is a versatile dish open to modification. It is always delicious and amazingly filling. You can add some chopped greens with the seafood.

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thanks for posting the recipe - sounds very yummy!

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Im going to try this tonight......when i get out of the airport!

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I'm making something similar tonight!  I use clam juice I've saved.  I'll saute some onions & garlic in bacon fat, toss in mixed seafood (mussels, squid, clams, cuttle fish, shrimp, and some mahi mahi, throw in the clam juice, lime juice and cilanto & tomatoes... season w/ old bay 

and serve left over butternut squash... dinner is servered

5. lee

lee New Member

Learned my version of this in New England. It's a two night event.

First night, cook mussels in dry white wine. Throw in tied bunches of cilantro, whole peppercorns and whole garlic cloves.

Reserve most of the stock and some of the mussels for the next night, when you add in catfish (the only fish that will hold up) scallops, shrimp, etc..

Next time I'm going to try adding it to the pan like you described with the garlic and yummies!

The stock is wonderful. I use more fresh cilantro the second day.

Cheers,

Lee

6. Braden

Braden New Member

I'm creating something identical tonight! *I use clam juice I've stored. *I'll saute some vegetables & beans in bread fat, throw in combined seafood (mussels, squid, clams, cuttle seafood, shrimp, and some mahi and serve with little garnish of coriander......

7. Billybats

Billybats New Member

I was wanting to make a soup like this. I have been craving wonton soup flavor, what can I add to this to give it that flavor.