1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fixing your clock . . . best tips/advice

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by BJK77, Feb 3, 2013.

1. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

2. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

If I knew a Cliff's note version of methylation, I would share it but I'm still searching for it. I think it's too complicated to condense very much.

Since you did a 23andme test, you have had your SNPs done, now it's a matter of finding them. I think the easiest thing to do is go to geneticgenie.org and follow their directions to download your 23andme data and let geneticgenie analyze it and put it into a spreadsheet. You'll find out with which pathways you may have trouble. One article I found useful in understanding results is http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm. Because I have defects in many pathways, I hired Tim Jackson (recommended by Dr. K) to do consult but I know others will also consult (Sterling Hill is a name I've heard, I think Martin recommended).

3. Methylation is definitely one of the most complicated issues I have tried learning on my own. There is so much cross-interaction with so many genes and each interaction can mean something different. I agree though that the heartfixer site has a lot of good information. Also go to MTHFRsupport.com which has some good info. If you like podcasts they just started doing them, moderated by Sterling Hill. The first one they did w/ Dr Tim Jackson and the last one were two very good ones that I need to listen to again. Good info is out there but it does take a lot of time. I'm hoping to do a consult with Dr Tim in the next couple of months to understand my unique risks.

4. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Thank you both for the info. I'm not sure I'm at a place where I can digest all of this yet, but I'm giving it a try anyway. I just ran my 23andme through the geneticgenie programs and am trying to decipher what I've found. My initial impression is that it's not terrible, but not great ;) How's that for my skeptic optimism? LOL!

I only have one homozygous defect (MAO A R297R), which from what I can gather is related to serotonin and thus mood swings, depression, aggression, etc. - I have a hunch DH would wholeheartedly endorse that finding! This also makes me concerned about my son. He definitely has the aggression going on if his diet isn't absolutely perfect.

I'm still somewhat unclear on how significant the heterozygous defects are. If I'm understanding, that means that 50% of those enzymes will be defective?? So it's still something to address, but not earth shattering . . . is that a safe assumption, maybe? Anyway, I have 9 heterozygous defects.

Off to do some more reading!

5. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

In my case (3 homozygous positive, 11 heterozygous), the heterozygous defects are significant because they work in combination with or add to the others. So much depends on your individual situation.

6. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Lyndra, I have 10 homozygous, 12 herterozygous in the methylation and detox pathways. My GI effects test results arrived in my inbox yesterday. Next step is appt with Tim Jackson...will have to wait on that until budget allows (and I am chomping at the bit to get started!).

I haven't changed any supplements or diet yet. Have a feeling those things will change after consult though. At least I haven't added in any new supps since October and those were doctor recommended.

I have considered starting a journal on this subject. Thought maybe it might help others reading here if they also have methylation mutations. You know, backtrack to how they were suspected and then found, symptoms, and testing. Then follow each step as I work my way through "treatment" to get the cycles back on track.

What do you think, worth doing? I know there are others working on methylation that already have journals.

7. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

fitness@home, Did you order your gi effects from integrativepsychiatry.net?

8. diane

diane Gold

Yes definitely start a journal! Would love to get a better understanding as people work through! I haven't done testing yet as I'm a few steps behind on other testing and getting doctors on board. :)

9. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Great idea. I have my consult tonight and given my situation I will probably be joining the slow meth club.

10. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Yes, that is where I ordered it. I waited 2.5 weeks after sending it in and then emailed them to find out if the results were in. They sent them to me that afternoon.

11. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

This is probably a ridiculous question, but how does the GI test correlate with methylation issues? I recently had a GI test done through Genova and am supposed to be receiving the results today or tomorrow. Wondering what I should be looking for beyond the obvious . . .

12. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

Thank you! I'm waiting on my daughter's test results... and it has been 3 weeks so I've been calling and leaving messages... they *never* answer the phone. I'll go email now!

13. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

BJK77,

Tim Jackson also likes to see the results of the GI Effects testwhen he does a consultation. Apparently, our guts are a very important factor in our health (now where have we heard that before?). I think it gives him a more complete overall picture of where you are right now.

14. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Breakdown of fats, production of neurotransmitters, how the B's are used in the body, sulphites and sulphates, histamine..all of these are gut issues that methylation is involved in. Tim Jackson told me the ACAT defect in particular is involved in gut and mitochondria health.

He said that with methylation issues your T cells can get low which raises B cells...involved in histamine reactions...triggered by foods etc....(my biggie)

I'm not sure how to advise you on the specifics of your test though....

15. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

This just gets more and more interesting. I wasn't even sure what the GI test would show me to be honest! I just called and they're faxing it to me now. How pathetic is my life when I'm so excited to read about my poop?

Histamine is a huge issue for me too. In fact, that's what led me down this path to discover my methylation issues.

16. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

From notes I took on the video by Dr. Stewart....folate delivery is through fat...folate needs the MTHFR enzyme to be delivered therefor fat absorption and digestion would be a key to the whole methylation cycle. Something else I wrote down...casein blocks folate from entering the cells.

17. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I would really like the answer to this too. I had my 23andme consult tonight and she mentioned that the gut needs to be healed first and then the methylation pathways need to be fixed. Sounds like maybe you can't rid yourself of things until the gut is fixed. She said something about "things" crossing the blood brain barrier too. She couldn't really elaborate though. She told me to read the book "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride.

I think I need a consult to explain all of this stuff and not just how to look it up. Someone mentioned how many hetero and how many homo in the methyl and detox area and I have 33 hetero and 16 homo so I'm thinking that is quite a bit and probably needs some outside help. That is a lot of yellow and red.

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

when you your charge is right the complexity becomes awfully simple.......something Tim, Stewart and Bride do not realize......now you do. Fix your charge.......fix your world minus complexity.

19. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Has anybody done a urine essential elements test? If so, what did you make of the results?

20. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

This is what I am thinking based on bits I have seen you post. I think methylation is a branch and the electrons is the tree stump. If we fix the electron deficiency---methylation will be better?