1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fixing Aerobic Metabolism of Fats

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by persistence, Sep 10, 2014.

1. persistence

persistence New Member

Based on Metametrix ION Panel, and based on other symptoms I have, I apparently do not metabolize fats efficiently for aerobic metabolism. The ION panel has several markers for carnitine deficiency that suggest I am very low on carnitine. My adipate measures at 25.0 mcg/mg creatinine where the 95% interval tops out at 11.1. My suberate measures 6.4 mcg/mg creatinine where the 95% interval tops out at 4.6. High values on those two metabolites suggest carnitine deficiency.

I tried to address this by Acetyl-L-Carnitine, 500 mg, three or four times a day. This does not appear to be substantially improving my ability to metabolize fats. On a high fat diet I am basically stuck in glycolysis and get heavy acid accumulation on low amounts of exercise (even very mild walking). Is my dose appropriate?

How does one "debug" aerobic metabolism of fats? Is there any clinical path I can follow to get more information on what specifically is broken? I would really like to get this working.