1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fitbit? Jawbone?

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by MeghanK, Aug 26, 2013.

1. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

I wanted to purchase one of these devices to track sleep and activity etc.... but was worried about the EMFs... would something like this emit EMF?
    Fitbit

Jawbone

Anyone use either? Likes? Dislikes?
    Worth the $100 price?

Thanks!

2. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Blue tooth transmition. I keep mine off.

3. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

What? I'm confused.....

4. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

What? I'm confused.....

5. These devices connect wirelessly to your phone via Bluetooth, a wireless technology standard for exchanging data over short distances (using short-wavelength radio transmissions in the ISM band from 2400–2480 MHz) from fixed and mobile devices. In other words... EMF. EMF in the vicinity of your brain. Might not be a good idea. Hence, Dan keeps his off, as do I.

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Is a Holter monitor [to check heart rate] a bad thing as well? My Doc wants me to wear one for a couple of days - just a precaution.... I keep putting it off...

7. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I'm reviving this old thread--it was the only one I could find on Fitbit.

When you say you keep your Fitbit off, does that mean you disable the all-day sync and then sync manually once or twice a day?

Or do you remove its Bluetooth pairing. If you disconnect from Bluetooth, doesn't the device just turn into a brick?

I just threw away my Fitbit when I realized EMF on my wrist may have been a primary reason for my poor sleep (and I was using it to track sleep stages), but if there's a safe way to wear it, I might have a change of heart. I really like the silent alarm, but I assume the device would continually ping some NTP cloud server at night to track time. Or would a manual sync once a day take care of that?

Or should I just leave it in the trash?

8. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I vote for trash

9. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

OK, in the trash it stays. I had already made up my mind, and I hate being wishy washy :D

10. Nrelax11

Nrelax11 New Member

My parents bought my girlfriend one recently. I wish they would have told me they were going to, so I could have told them not to. When we visited them in June, she wore it around them because we felt bad lol. Was th only time she wore it.

11. malc0088

malc0088 4th dimension

Trash for sure! I don't own one but see alot of people who wear them, and another concern with them is the color of light that is used to gather the biometric data via the wrist. A Lot of the ones i see are using a green light, though i have not measured the spectrum, looks like it might fall within the blue/green range that we should be mitigating. I measure HRV in the morning when i wake up and I use an old fashioned strap and my phone via bluetooth for 3 minutes.