1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fishes r us

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by jeanie@truelongmont.com, Jul 18, 2012.

1. We've been going fish heavy lately. Bfast for son yesterday was sardines and scrambled egg. He objected. I proclaimed it doesn't bother me if you are hungry. Eat for bfast or eat for lunch.

Whines and complains later - begrudgingly ate about 11 am. By early eve he was a cranky bastard! I then served more fish for dinner. Fit and complaints were in abundance.

I said I didnt care if he ate. Eve was miserable with a hungry cranky child.

I advised the bowl of fish was what's for breakfast if he didn't eat for dinner.

Bfast came with complaints but he eventually started eating. Hunger won! Then he even said he started liking it.

[​IMG]

Here we are at bfast with the same bowl of fish he didn't eat for dinner. Whew!

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

some times I have this fight w/both kids...they want x (fruit, or veggies) the answer now has become - if you want x you need to eat your dinner.

we've really been talking up seasonal eating... like what things are going to go away in september. We've already told them strawberries/blueberries/blackberries are out of season for fruits.

we've told them we're now in cherry season, and soon it will be peach season, then apple season.

my kids are crazy for bananas (especially the boy) -I've started telling them banana season ends in August.

This morning dd asked if eggs have a season....

3. Great strategy, I will start doing the same - seems like as long as they know what's coming it's much easier. Frankly I wouldn't be that thrilled with someone else doing everything as they wanted and I had no idea from moment to moment what that was going to be!

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

This is how I taught my foster dog to eat whatever I serve :D I fixed her leaky gut in 6 months with raw meat, bones, offal, and .... LOTS of fish. She finished top of class in agility and advanced obedience!! This was a "problem" dog destined for being put down at some point. She is now a very happy family dog where there are two teenage kids.

If she wouldn't eat it, back in the fridge it went after 15min. To be served again next meal. A healthy dog (human) will get hungry and eat, eventually.

5. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Good for you serving him healthy food. If I didn't like the dinner my mom made, I was allowed to have cereal for dinner. I'm glad they didn't force me to eat something I hated but looking back, cereal was not a good choice (but then neither was so much of what I used to eat).

6. hmmm I remember chocolate getting busted by making a human/dog comparison LOL

coincidentally, this is how I dealt (still deal) with my daughter. Worked well.

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

That approach works well for husbands, too.

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

so last night the kids didn't want to eat the seafood mix & zucchini and mushroom pasta I made - so I told them - guess what you're having for breakfast tomorrow - neither was happy - but they both ate it willingly this am.. and for once I didn't have to make eggs for the entire house hold for breakfast! WHOOT!

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

so last night DS wouldn't eat his dinner....so he was given it for breakfast... he ate some but not all... and wanted other food... I put my foot down... Lunch will be left overs from dinner/breakfast... he'll eat when he's hungry enough.....

10. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Wow, you girls are my heros! I still struggle with this. Although I am good with getting my 5 year old son to eat his dinner (no food after lunch helps a lot), and fortunately he loves fish, I still fall prey to the "occasional treats are ok" mentality. For instance we just finished our paleo waffles (coconut flour, coconut oil and eggs) with blueberries and whipped cream with stevia. I can force myself to eat sardines and eggs for breakfast, but I don't feel good making ds do it....guess I still need to evolve.

11. Their tastes change real quick. My son eats more of the "gross" stuff than I do. I think doing the add a kid/fun layer to it has helped get started. He likes opening the sardines, crackin the eggs, chopping the heads off fish etc. Also since we started growing lettuce he wants a salad at least 1 time a day. We still do a "treat" like you mentions (fairly paleo) and some ice cream (the non dairy all fat kind from bullet proof exec). I guess I see it as high summer and him out in the sun running all day - doesn't seem that it's really a mismatch to have some carbs.

It will be interesting to see how this winter goes. I fully plan on keeping the "must be outside" rule in place in the cold. And seasonal eating so for him the carbs will also go down for winter. That's my plan anyways - you know how much kids work with our plans ;)

12. Model and model - they will do it!

[​IMG]

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Ds ate 2 bites of dinner from last night at lunch. Then dh took a bite and said no wonder ds wouldn't eat it - it was like chewing a banana slug!!! So I gave up on that. But ds did eat 1/2 of the tuna-sardine salad made w/Jack's mayo recipe. Big hit!!! He wanted more when all was said and done WIN