1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fish Oil sends anxiety through the roof

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by japhyryder, Oct 22, 2013.

1. japhyryder

japhyryder New Member

Hi, glad to discover this forum which appears to be full of extremely advanced thinking on these topics. Anyway, I'm following the leaky guy protocol, as a result of extreme anxiety which arose after a car accident, resulting in gall bladder removal. I wanted to include fish oils and chose a very high level EPA brand, but it sent my anxiety through the roof. I had to come off it immediately. Can anyone shed light on the mechanisms by which EPA could trigger such extreme uneasy after consumption?

2. japhyryder

japhyryder New Member

Thanks Embds20001. I am particularly interested in the mechanism though, because i feel it might shed light on what exactly has gone awry. Over these last 15 years I've experimented relentlessly to find what has changed in my brain and it is something major. Depression, OCD, chronic fatigue, anxiety etc have all manifested since that fateful day. This forum genuinely feels home to some of the most erudite minds I've encountered on the subject of diet and mental health, so I'm hoping someone can elaborate. I can't tolerate kelp or taurine either incidentally, but fish oil virtually made me psychotic.

3. Message me if you want - I'm dealing with a lot of the same symptoms that all started after one specific event: depression, recurring thoughts, anxiety and panic, not feeling as though I've slept enough, depersonalization, derealization, etc. It's interesting that you stated fish oil really made you feel bad, I have a lot of thoughts on that, particularly in how unsaturated oils affect the states of shock and endotoxin.

4. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

This is interesting to me because I haven't had that experience with fish oil at all. I take Ultimate Omega and I'm almost done with the bottle. I will probably switch to krill oil after I'm finished with this bottle because Dr. K says that's better. I've actually experienced improved mood with the fish oil. That's even when my diet is still pretty crappy. Are you guys taking high quality oil?

5. japhyryder

japhyryder New Member

Yes, the highest quality epa you can find. It's definitely not a hexane issue or anything like that.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

rlee314 likes this.
  7. Inger

Inger Silver

I never eat fish oil, but lots and lots of fatty fish and seafood, I never had an issue. In fact, the mackerel head smoothie really helps mood issues! Especially anxiety. I would take that any time instead of fish oils...just sayin'

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  8. Sistagrok

Sistagrok Shanee

I have salicylate sensitivity issues, and I can't take any capsules (cellulose, gelatins), I always open them up . Also fish oils are high in amines I believe, and cause anxiety and depression in some people. I know first hand, with things like tomato sauce, and things that are close to salicylates chemically, like any benzo type things, give me anxiety quick. I also have much worse issues than anxiety if I have salicylates to include very bad breathing issues at sleep onset if I have them. I avoid them like the plague, except for Coconut oil, I'm able to tolerate that , I started in small doses, and now am eating it all day, but I can't really add in too many other salicylates yet. But I'm exceptionally better than I was 2 years ago with all of this. Avoidance and some brain retraining, along with staying paleoish, doing CT, avoiding emfs, tweaking my circadian cycle, and doing everything I can to lower inflammation has made it a lot better. I haven't had anxiety in 3 years now, I have however felt it coming on , on a very great occasion, but I know now that it is definitely something I encountered, or ate.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Pills do not have all the brain specific nutrients with DHA and EPA in fish.......iodine and all the rest listed in BG 5. It is best to get it in its evolutionary package and not the man made one.

10. japhyryder

japhyryder New Member

OK, thanks. I'll be on a high seafood regime from now on then, at least as per my bank balance will allow!

11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Fish and krill oils should be avoided for number of reasons.

EPA is a major reason why they should be avoided.

One of the main reasons why dr Kruse recommends seafood is their DHA content.

The DHA content is important but even more important is that when in seafood it comes with halo.

I can't explain the halo except that I think about it as energy, electrons.
    Similar situation as with water in Australia and New Zealand, lacking electrons due to ozone hole over them.
    Then dr Kruse recommends for Aussies to use imported spring/mineral/RO water or RO water made from local sea water.

One of the way to judge ones situation in regard to Fatty Acids is to do at Mayo Clinic or LabCorp blood analysis.
    Ask doc for script:.

Fatty Acid Profile, Comprehensive (C8-C26), Serum

http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/82042

There are on the market DHA supplements. Remember no halo, less energy.

They are either DHA only (vegetable source) or DHA with minimal amount of EPA.

One is DHA from Nutricology

To large EPA content suppresses AA (omega6), valuable fat.

Other than excess of EPA some people have low AA because they have a low GLA

omega6
    LA--->GLA---->DGLA-----AA

Supplemental GLA comes from three sources
    rape seed
    Evening Primrose
    Black Currant

Evening Primrose is popular and good supplement
    rape seed should be avoided

I am currently doing experiment.
    Originally I had lowish GLA & DGLA
    With supplementation I got GLA in right place
    but DGLA is still low.
    I have seen article that suggested Black Currant, will see if that will work.

/////////////

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  12. japhyryder

japhyryder New Member

Very interesting Jansz, that's some of the best info I've seen on this subject. Thanks for taking the time. Can you recommend any links on this halo effect?