1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fish head smoothie recepie

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by kyrakitty, Jun 22, 2014.

1. kyrakitty

kyrakitty New Member

So I picked up 3 fresh sardines and I would like to make a fish head smoothie from the heads... I've searched the forum but having problems finding an actual recepie... that will taste good for a niewbie. I am guessing the fish head is left raw with nothing removed right? :/

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

I just use small frozen fish that I get from a chinese market. I thaw a little and then chop up a bit and throw in my chopper thing with cold water and fresh lemon juice and fresh herbs - like corriander. Use what herbs appeal to you.

whatever takes your fancy really ....I suppose some green onions would be nice.....

I do insist on a mouthful of malbec afterwards however!

Just don't make it too big the first time ...........just enough to scull down! It really tastes okay BTW.

3. kyrakitty

kyrakitty New Member

These sardine heads are like 2 1/2" long. They were previously frozen and slightly thawed when I purchased them yesterday. Today they were still really cold a tiny bit of ice. I don't know if I can do it. I wold prefer they had been frozen and slightly thawed like you do and smaller. Do you use the whole body and head since the fish are small or is it only the head. I have no lemon which would probably help. I may chicken out :eek:

Cindy Domitrovits likes this.
  4. Andrea

Andrea What is NOT on the menu?

The mackerels I've come across so far have about as big heads as your sardines. One of these heads is enough for me for dinner.
    I cut them in a few pieces and put in my blender with a little water. I use them thawed; it's easier to get a somewhat smooth result. The only seasoning I use is a little black pepper on top - I quite like it that way.

5. kyrakitty

kyrakitty New Member

OMG I completely chickened out! I wasted good food ugh! Next time I will do it!

Cindy Domitrovits likes this.
  6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Kyra - when you use lemon and herbs it is kind of like ceviche ...and black pepper is a great idea too.
    The reason to use them slightly frozen .....I think it would be totally gross to have a warm MHS!!!

just don't make it too big the first time .......I really just taste the lemon and herbs ...honest!!!!

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

How are you feeling Kyra?

8. Inger

Inger Silver

or... Just hold your nose Kyra, and imagine you drink chocolate :)

I do that all the time. My fish head smoothies tastes no good to me must be because my fish often is not to fresh :rolleyes:

9. Inger

Inger Silver

Audrey I think your smoothie must taste good..... a bit frozen and spicy :)

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

YES!!! maybe like a bloody Mary??? o_O:p

It seems to me that Jack put something else in his? but I can't remember .....MCT oil?

11. just eat anchovies from the mediterranean wholesaler, they come heads and all in garlic and olive oil
    :p

12. proper big ones that is...

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Josh - where do you get these?

14. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

2 frozen mackerel heads, juice & zest of 2 lemons, CILANTRO - whole lots of cilantro!, and water. blend until smooth. drink through straw. not the tastiest thing but its manageable!!!

15. any mediterranean wholesaler i would think...

16. any mediterranean wholesaler i would think...

17. Tms

Tms New Member

Caroline, what do you use the rest of the fish body for after using the heads?

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

They are just small frozen fish ...maybe 6-8 inches.

I just take 1 out of the freezer and let it sit on a plate for a bit. And then chop it into chunks and blitz with the other stuff.

The great thing about this is ....it is still partly frozen ...so you get a nice cold drink. A MHS would suck if it wasn't ice cold me thinks!

This way you get brains, liver etc.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  19. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Why the smoothie? Why not just eat them as they are?

20. Inger

Inger Silver

Yeah, that would be even better Dan... I just have not come so far yet... a bit too yucky for me so far o_O
    the smoothie is way easier... and faster too. Eating a mackerel head might be a bit hard as it is not too soft and small either....

Please share if you have tried it, how was it?