1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fish Eggs? Yah, they work!

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Marie, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Marie

Marie New Member

For the last year I've been on a Fish Egg and Oyster bender. I admit it, I LOVE them and was eating about 2-3 TBS a day of fish eggs and at least a LARGE oyster a day.

I just got some labs back and have an O6:O3 of 1.7:1 and DHA of 6.8% and EPA of 3.2%.

So if you are looking to boost your O3s, Ranch99 is the BOMB!

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Way to go Marie!

3. Inger

Inger Silver

Nice....! Fish eggs are super foods for sure! I do not have them often as they are so expensive here but when I get some in whole fishes I buy I always eat the eggs! The fish milk too. IDK what it does but I imagine, something good =)

4. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

I've only seen tinned fish eggs locally, and have had it a few times, having read that some studies put the vitamin D content of fish eggs at about 17,000 IU per tablespoon and that they are a rich source of vitamin A, K2, zinc, iodine and DHA. Not keen on the texture but perhaps I should try a bit harder or make a smoothie!

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

MHS ... with fish eggs.... that would be off the charts! ;)

6. Linz

Linz Gold

Sue,

Waitrose and Tesco often have frozen herring milts with the fresh fish.

7. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

Thanks for that, there's a large Tesco about 15 miles away, next time I'm in that direction I'll have a look.

I used tinned cods roe this morning, just blitzed it up with about half a teaspoon of bladderwrack sprinkle, poured a bit of boiling water in to take the chill off and get the right consistency.... cods roe porridge .... :D

8. healthman

healthman Gold

I went to buy my first batch of fish eggs yesterday but my usual fish supplier was sold out, so tried tescos and decided to give it a miss as was not impressed with the additives they had listed on the ingredients....!

9. Linz

Linz Gold

Healthman,

Were you looking at the fresh ones (usually frozen) on the fish counter? The little jars of fish eggs are usually full of additives but I don't think the fresh herring roe are unless they perhaps spray them with sulphur dioxide (I think) like prawns so they don't discolour. I have never asked about this.

10. healthman

healthman Gold

Linz - I was looking for fresh ones but unfortunately there were none available so looking at the jars - I could not beleive the rubbish they put in them!! I am contacting my fish supplier today to see what they can source
    Thanks

11. x_danny_x

x_danny_x New Member

i have been eating like 3 oysters a day.....so you just eat 1 and some fish eggs and you all set??? if can only eat one oyster a day that can definately save me some money.

12. Marie

Marie New Member

I'm averaging one oyster per day. Some weeks I have three oysters and fish eggs for breakfast, then I'll go a week heavy on the bacon and eggs.

13. x_danny_x

x_danny_x New Member

any reliable brands then? I dont live in the west coast....so dont have access to that market that you mentioned about.

14. Marie

Marie New Member

Try the Asian markets. I get fresh oysters in a jar and fresh (unseasoned, this is important!) squeezed eggs from the fish deli area. They are with the sushi, usually.

15. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I thought we should be aiming for more 03 than 06?

16. Marie

Marie New Member

My understanding is that 4:1 to 1:1 (O6:O3) is healthy with 2:1 being "likely" for paleolithic peoples.

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

yep ...........

18. JanSz

JanSz Gold

My understanding is that (O6:O3) ratio is not fully defined and as consequence one is able to manipulate it with supplements.
    Actually, most doctors do not have understanding of this topic, advice their patients to eat fatty acids supplements but do not follow that advice with proper testing.
    Oil supplements industry make money on this misunderstanding and is not about to clear things out.
    Testing industry developed tests that check the O6/O3 ratios only (without going into further details)(so as not to rock the money making boat).

Everybody make money on sick people, it is much harder making money on healthy people.

O6/O3 ratios are likely to be acceptable when person eats only natural food
    AND
    does not use any Omega3 or Omega6 supplementation (krill, fish oils, cod liver oil) or oils containing O3 and/or O6, such as sunflower, grapefruit seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds or similar.

-----------------------
    Omega3 is a sum total of ALA + EPA + DPA + DHA
    Omega6 is a sum total of LA + GLA + DGLA + AA + DTA

Not only O6/O3 ratio should be at the right level but also the other 9 individual fats should be at proper level.

Overall the problem is to align properly all 10 variables, not only the one (O6/O3).

////

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Other than
    http://www.99ranch.com/

there are also
    http://www.hmart.com/company_new/shop_main.asp

and many smaller Asian stores, full of goodies.

------------------------------------
    Marie;
    do you shuck your oysters or get the cans with pre- shucked oysters?
    I eat my oysters raw, wonder if it is ok to eat the already shucked kind.

------

20. Marie

Marie New Member

I've been eating the shucked for over a year with NO issues...other than the fact many are too big for one bite. My current strategy is to quarter them, put some lemon and green onion for garnish and eat. Slurp.