1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fat for Fuel - new book by Mercola

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Dennis Clark, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Dennis Clark

Dennis Clark Dr. Dennis Clark

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I know all those guys at Barrow.

3. Dennis Clark

Adrienne Scheck hosted me in her lab. Nice lady. We killed off some GBM cultures with a flavonoid-rich plant extract. Never got past the cell culture stage, though. Couldn't get funding from NIH. No surprise there.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Spetzler and Sontag.......

5. Dennis Clark

6. Dennis Durost

Dennis Durost New Member

Both Dr Mercola and Dr Perlmutter are heavily into what Jack professes. However, they are even more dedicated to the concept of 24/7 ketosis. Not sure how healthy that is. Both Mercola and Perlmutter look like recent escapees from a POW camp! Not sure being that lean is that healthy, as I believe you need some reserves of fat during times of illness. Just my opinion...I practice ketosis daily as part of a 16:8 fasting program and think that should be sufficient. However, I could be wrong.

Erik Schleicher likes this.
  7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Jack's not into 24/7 ketosis.........ever. ketosis is a seasonal diurnal plan

8. Dennis Clark

Hi, Dennis...As you meander further through Jack's blog posts, you will come find his reasoning behind seasonal eating patterns. His book, Epi-Paleo Rx, helps a lot with other aspects of lifestyle that lie behind optimal health. The one most important thing that I learned about food,, after only about a year of reading his articles (I'm a slow learner) is that it is not the top factor behind optimal health. Light and circadian rhythms trump everything. Keep that in mind as you discover how quantum electrodynamics underlies everything.

Also, be patient when you read here. I have a PhD in plant biochemistry and had a 30-year career in research and teaching at a major university. And I still have to read and reread what Jack says so I can understand his message better. I assure, the effort is worth it.

Cheers,
    Another Dennis

Sheddie, Jude, Sean Waters and 2 others like this.
  9. Dennis Durost

Dennis Durost New Member

Dr. Clark: Thanks for the heads up. Possibly you can shed some light (no pun intended) on another issue. I paid my derm doc a visit today and told him about my daily routine of getting sun exposure in my eyes at first light. He went ballistic on me explaining the sun's rays are (UVA) dangerous at any time of day. He encouraged me to refrain from further exposure. He gave me a paper with the following quotes from doctors

"While UVB rays peak in intensity in the middle of the day, UVA rays remain fairly consistent in intensity from morning until evening. Likewise, the ability of UVA rays to damage your skin remains high throughout the day from morning until evening (not just during the middle of the day when the sun is high in the sky, but all day). This means that even when you are not tanning or getting burned by UVB rays, you may still be sustaining serious damage from UVA radiation—without ever realizing it!"

"The reason the sun is harmful is that UVA rays are out in full intensity; they’re out all day, all year, and at the same intensity as mid-day in the summer! This means that from sunup to sundown, January or July you’re getting the same hit of UVA. Plus, UVA penetrates your skin more deeply than UVB causing significant and irreversible damage to the deeper parts, and this causes wrinkles. As if that’s not enough, your sunscreen SPF value tells you nothing about how well your product blocks UVA. In fact many products don’t do a good job blocking the UVA rays, which is one of the big criticisms of sunscreens."

I am concerned about this as I have a history of both basal and squamous cell carcinoma. If I were to follow his guidelines would the Quantlet be a viable alternative?

10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Quantlet, even the one that actually works as planned by Jack
    is always far from perfect.

Possibly this help you,
    I am 78yo man
    I was discarded as a patient by my skin doctor after about three visits when I came to his office deeply tanned and refused to stay away from sun.
    That was not any skin doctor.
    This one works at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in Manhattan NYC.

So, I suggest that the very first thing we should do
    is to think about how we were conditioned throughout our life,
    and
    work first on de-conditioning and dropping mind sets that Big Pharma and Big Commercial Medicine worked very hard to implant in us.

I think that asking MD about solar skin exposure is like asking vegetarian for advice on good steak.

If you want to do the best you can
    move to Lake Victoria, live on the edge of the lake, completely naked (specially no sun glasses), and far away from any electrical outlet.
    That is where your and mine grandmother (same person) started passing their mitochondria to their of springs for our benefit.

... upload_2017-8-8_8-14-51.png

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Allin, Marc Lacasse, seanb4 and 5 others like this.
  11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Awesome thought: "I think that asking MD about solar skin exposure is like asking vegetarian for advice on good steak."

12. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Whole generations are talked into mild to severe heliophobia. We still have to be smart about sun exposure, but the main focus should be to embrace and not block out.

Sean Waters likes this.
  13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Learning the nature food without a thought of light is labor lost; thought without learning about the nature of light is perilous to mankind. The calcium channel is important to the mitochondriac because the natural EMf of sunlight is key light stimulus it is designed to work with. Here is some more detail behind that tiny nano engine the food guru's ignore. MPFI researchers make significant advance in understanding calcium channel function https://scienmag.com/?p=1551614

Sean Waters likes this.
  14. Dennis Clark

Hi, Dennis:

JanSz said it best. Jack seconded it. WalterNL 'thirded' it. Morning sunshine provides UV-A and IR-A. The more Jack talks about these things, which he does in detail, the more I learn.

A few months ago I wrote this for my own blog: https://herbscientist.com/heliophobia-makes-modern-disease-for-one-and-all/

What I said there goes in the right direction, although on hindsight it seems a little oversimplified now. Since then I put together this perspective:

https://herbscientist.com/breast-cancer-awareness-failure/

I feel that I am just starting to get it. You will get it, too. Just stick with your studying. Think for yourself. Be your own (healthy) man. Your N=1 is who counts.

My skin now looks a lot like what JanSz' does. It scares people. Classic symptoms of brainwashing.

If Amazon listed a good BS detector for modern medical advice, I'd give you a link to it.

Lahelada, Phosphene, seanb4 and 2 others like this.
  15. Dennis Durost

Dennis Durost New Member

Thanks everyone! My skin doc is a real phobic when it comes to the sun. He claims to never expose any portion of his body to the sun..ever! I would imagine my recurring bouts with skin cancer are simply a payoff from the errors of my youth. Had some nasty burns as a dumb kid. I'll be out bright and early tomorrow morning. Thanks again for the support

16. Dennis Clark

By the way, Dennis, we have a lot of doctors on this forum. I haven't had anybody routinely address me as "Dr. Clark" since I was in the classroom. It did help me keep the football players in line way back then. No need for it here, though. Besides, don't we share a GREAT name! Derived from Dionysus, the Greek god of wine (and some other, crazier stuff): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus

Lahelada, seanb4 and caroline like this.
  17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

[​IMG]

I upgraded it a bit. Doris is in this pic with me from Mexico a few months ago.

Inger likes this.
  18. kris90

kris90 New Member

^^^ Epic

19. Dennis Clark

To quote, "BOOM!"

20. Dennis Durost

Dennis Durost New Member

I sent this to my derm doc. It should test his sense of humor

Benny Hammond and Jude like this.