1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fat for Fuel - new book by Mercola

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Dennis Clark, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Dennis Clark

Dennis Clark Dr. Dennis Clark

The good news in this book is its emphasis on mitochondrial health. It touts "mitochondrial metabolic therapy" throughout. Bringing issues of mitochondrial health to the public is a great start, since the populace at large is still mostly unaware of what mitochondria are.

This book will probably be the topic of a post on my own blog, and those of others, soon. However, as far as the book generally goes, I'll just start with this quote:

"Hands down, changing your diet is the single most powerful thing you can do to improve the health of your mitochondria. Fasting is a close second..." (p. 237).

This is how the first paragraph begins in Chapter 11, Other Ways to Improve Your Mitochondrial Health. The best ideas for mitochondrial health are here, stashed in the final chapter of the book. Hmm.

Readers of this forum no doubt have a LOT to say about that!

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

"Hands down, changing your diet is the single most powerful thing you can do to improve the health of your mitochondria. Fasting is a close second..." -- Says Joe

Mother Nature has other ideas that are more fundamental.

[​IMG]

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

When the Vermont Video from 2017 comes out this Book will have some major problems.

4. Dennis Clark

Looking forward to the video. Meanwhile, I'll keep getting my photons and electrons from the early morning sun (bare feet on the ground, preferably wet grass), from outdoor HIIT (running sprints mid-day, also barefoot), and late afternoon sun ... all bolstered by seafood nearly every day. What a great life! (Now if I could just figure out how to play golf barefoot and naked...!)

BigSkinny, ScottishEmma and caroline like this.
  5. Penny

Penny New Member

Get a tan through shirt:)

Benny Hammond and ScottishEmma like this.
  6. Dennis Clark

Hey, Penny...nice suggestion, thanks! The Great Google got me on the right track. A supplier (tanthrough.com) even offers several items. Some questions were answered about them in a brief review on vitamindwiki.com, here:

https://www.vitamindwiki.com/Increa...aring+a+tan-through+instead+of+standard+shirt

Bare skin still beats tan-through clothes. The clothes might be an acceptable strategy, though, since none of the golf courses that I play will allow me to go shirtless, much less nude.

Mystic Rose60 and caroline like this.
  7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If you all saw my color right now in Mexico you'd be worried..........

8. Inger

Inger Silver

Jack! Are you doing a sun-burn-bio-hack? :eek: ;) :love:
    Crazy :) :)
    but I love it

Mystic Rose60 likes this.
  9. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

I know that Jack gave golfing up because of this Dennis. Speaking for myself and knowing better now, I'll never step foot on another course either, unless I can find one that's not treated with harmful chemicals. It would be great if they had some golf courses for us mitochondriacs who want to avoid these chemicals and play nude. :thumbsup:

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/programs/golf-and-the-environment/overview

caroline and Alex97232 like this.
  10. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

I too, purchased Joe's book. Hands down, fixing your environment is what improves your mitochondria function and lowers your heteroplasmy rate. I know, because I used to pride myself on the quality food and supplements that I consumed and my mitochondria function was still suffering. I lived this and was determined to turn it around, and I did, thanks to having skin in the game.

Looking forward to the Vermont lecture Doc!

caroline and Alex97232 like this.
  11. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Play golf naked as a jaybird!
    http://www.cypresscoveresort.com/activities/golf/

12. Dennis Clark

Jack...I'm thinking brown skin once the red subsides.

Mystic Rose60...that is why I don't really want to play golf barefoot...courses are cesspools of toxins.

Sun Disciple...nice! Now that's what I'm talking about!

Mystic Rose60, caroline and Penny like this.
  13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Here is what you won't find in a diet book: REAL SCIENCE OF LIGHT:
    This will shock the eye docs (and food guru's writing diet books) because they all were taught to believe in medical school as I was that the anterior chamber of the eye blocks all UV light. The picture below shows that this is false. It turns out recent data over the last ten years now shows that is utter bullocks. Now their disbelief will rise further. The small amount of UV light that does get through is the key stumulus to the melanocortin pathways I wrote about in my Cold Thermogenesis blog from long ago. What does it stimulate? POMC. Recent scientists 92007) have found another surprising link for clinicians beliefs but it has not been well publicized by those in know. The link is between tanning and cancer: p53--a gene long implicated as a cancer suppressor--appears to be key to helping us get a tan to build out more melanin to abosrb even more UV light.

The simple act of catching a few rays that get through the lens and cornea sets a complex biological process into motion. In response to ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun the eye is capable of using a second messenger system to activate the skin cells. This is done via POMC. Skin cells called kerotinocytes begin pumping out melanocyte-stimulating hormone (MSH), which in turn binds to MSH receptors on pigment-producing skin cells called melanocytes which sit right above human fat mass in the subcutaneous space. That mass is where leptin sits awaiting to be activated by solar photons to tell the hypothalmus just how much energy is in the body photoelectrically to make a stochastic calculus guess of how much food a human would need based upon the incident EMF's from the sun a human actually gets. This starts a cascade of events that leads to melanin production and a nice brown tan that increases our ability to absorb more sunlight because melanin is a UV fluorophore protein. Researchers at Dana Farber went even further. Even artificially raising levels of p53 with small amounts of UV light in cells boosted POMC expression, buttressing the idea that p53 activates POMC. Are you still afraid of the sun? Maybe you should be more worried about your glasses, sunglasses or your IOL implants now huh?In turning on POMC with UV light, p53 coincidentally prompts production of the peptide beta-endorphin, the brain's natural opiate and another POMC product. This opiate is built into the structure of POMC and it appears nature has built humans to become addicted to solar exposure. How is that for a reversal of forture for our pals in dermatology and opthomology? https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1227-exposing-eyes-alone-to-uv-light-can-trigger-a-tan/

[​IMG]

Change is difficult for low dopamine people (even doctors) because their brain consistently overestimates the value of what they presently have while simulataneously underestimating the value of what they may gain by giving that up. Unless you are prepared to give up something valuable to you right now will never be able to truly change at all, because you'll be forever in the control of things you can't give up. Low dopamine blinds us to this reality and keeps us unskilled in communicating with ourselves or nature.

14. Dennis Clark

Too bad that the scientists behind the New Scientist report, as well as two other researchers, used the results of this study with mice as fuel for the usual thoughtless advice - i.e., be sure to wear sunglasses to protect your eyes. Low dopamine, indeed!

caroline likes this.
  15. kris90

kris90 New Member

@Jack Kruse can you talk a bit about how the cold influences POMC? Is it because the cold rapidly empties leptin from adipocytes, and leptin activates POMC?

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

17. kris90

kris90 New Member

18. Barry

Barry New Member

Danco3636 likes this.
  19. Technosmith

Technosmith New Member

Jack posted recently on his Facebook page that " Using fats exogenously in foods is not the best choice in cancer", which is contrary to what Mercola is claiming in this book.

How do you expect Jack would alter the diet in this situation and would this apply to all mitochondrial diseases?

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

All answered in the Vermont talk.