1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

fat burning and mitochondria

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by KiwiLauren, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

It has zero to do with your weight.......it has to do with how you handle fat and recycle ATP.......and which pathway you live in. If you feel you must eat 3 times a day.......you likely are not a fat burner........

2. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Yeah, I think I am not totally there yet because I feel best when I eat 3 times a day.

But I thought that fat loss indicates an improvement in the mitochondrial function? ......fat people are more oxidized and less reduced and it means they are lacking electrons in their bodies.

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

This comment intrigues me... b/c there are several days I can get by with just 2 meals... and I don't want to eat. I'm also finding breakfast is no longer an easy meal for me to eat, and I'm having to force mysel to eat something, even w/eating so little, somedays its 1 egg and BPC, I'm not eating lunch until 2pm. then there are days where I just don't want dinner... I have some bulletproof green tea and call it a day.. I wonder if the mitochondrial support is helping me move fully into fat as my fuel source... I'm not there yet b/c of the migraines but I'm getting closer...

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

It does.........remember fat burning makes a shit load of ATP......so if your are a fat burner you are energy efficient, meaning you make a lot of ATP from fat and you do not feel the need to eat........but you usually need to ground a bit every day to get that result........

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

This is a good sign then........

6. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

I have a fairly simplistic understanding of all this compared to all of you but I'm going to as my question anyway...

So if you test your blood keytones and you are measuring a decent level of keytones in your blood on a daily basis is it safe to assume you're a fat burner?

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

nope.........

8. Barry

Barry New Member

A lot of the info you guys are looking for here can be found on the Fasted State Training blog..

forget keto sticks, weighing carbs etc etc... there are some very simple practical ways of detecting whether you are fat adapted or not

1. Appetite - if you are not hungry in general, have no craving for food even when you do decide to eat... and can go for long periods (without it being forced) of fasting i.e. >16hrs.... this is probably the no.1 best sign of fat adaptation

2. Reduced/Zero sugar sensitivity. By that I mean, you have no sweet tooth, do not need any sweetness with your food, and when you are hungry, you would rather a piece of bacon as opposed to a piece of fruit

3. Energy balance - constant energy all day, no lows... and when this is really good, you feel the need to move/exercise all the time. I run everywhere. I run to the shops, I run up the stairs... I can't walk ! When I'm at my desk, no more than 30mins goes by before I have to get up and do push-ups.... and this is during a "fasting" period...

4. Fasted State Training. This is my baby as most of you know. But I can tell you, if you can get up in the morning, and not eat anything, and run or cycle or do some sort of sustained steady state exercise... for hours... and need feel the need to eat... then there is only one thing you are doing, and thats burning fat.. in several different ways

5. No hunger after exercise. This is the ultimate sign as far as I'm concerned. It takes a long time. But if you can come back from a hard/long/exhausting training session, and not have any ravenous urge to eat ...... then this says a lot, very very few people will get there. Its taken me years

hope that helps

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Bingo......but there are tests that we can do to see if your there............EMF 4 hits it. I dont think crossfit is gonna like EMF 4.

10. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Thanks Barry.... I concur with your markers.
    I have been working on being fat-adapt as well and am starting to get the same results. Not all the way yet but getting close. Been at it for over a year and it is taking a while but coming along.
    I have this urge to keep busy.... I find I get bored easy and it is easier to just walk or be doing something while thinking or working. I love activity and working out fasted.. I get up in the morning and am full of energy! I get tired early but wake early. The list goes on but your points recap very nicely and with my experience as well.

11. Barry

Barry New Member

I've discovered the most sophisticated monitoring system that has ever been invented... it tests for everything. The tests are individually specific. The software is based on your genome. The testing is continuous and the tests are all correlated with each other. The results are easy to interpret and I;ve saved the best till last... it doesn't cost a dime ! Its free !

The measuring system is called the Human Body, we all have one. And the tests are called "feel"... yes, go on feel.

Nobel prize nominee for that one, ... surely ?

12. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Thanks for the summary points, Barry, and for this above. I find both very helpful.

The comment above brings up an interesting tension, I think, in this shifting from sugar burner to fat burner. Going on 'feel' is what I aspire to. But it appears to require a bit of external guidance simultaneously (and I'm guessing that this is why some rely on labs). I think many of us who have been long-time sugar burners know that going on feel can lead to trouble. For example, your gut flora can signal you need carbs and you 'feel' better (more energy, less symptoms) afterwards. It has been really helpful for me to understand basic physiology and why I really want to understand the mechanisms that underpin fat-burning. This helps me determine if the signals I'm getting are old pathways or new ones. It is a fine balance sometimes, one where I am learning to trust myself and my body by using trusted information and the internal feedback of my own experience. For me, I have to hold onto a basic belief that I can trust myself entirely, even while I rely on others to teach me, so that I can stay focussed and so that fear does not predominate my life.

13. Barry

Barry New Member

KiwiLauren - point taken, well said, good to be reminded of this..

14. Barry

Barry New Member

Anna - I've given up trying to answer these questions for two reasons. 1. back to the whole context issue, I would need to find out so much in order to properly advise you and 2. as per my first blog (The most important thing about diet and exercise)... "there ain't no"

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Never give up Barry........treat this like one of your races.

16. angieonthegogo

angieonthegogo New Member

Bring It!! :)

17. angieonthegogo

Ditto on BAB. Must Force. Wanting 1-2 meals/day instead of 3 meals/day is me probably 2-3 days/week. Really kicked in again last couple weeks. Thank you 20-30 degree weather. :)

18. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

What is the 20-30 degree in reference too? Did it warm up or cool down (vacation) or ...? lol

19. angieonthegogo

The weather is more steadily around 20-30 degrees in winter here. Just 10 days ago we were in single digits then a few days later it was mid 60s. Not fun. I prefer reasonable consistency in weather especially when I'm trying to take advantage of mother natures free CT. We didn't get a real winter last year so I'm trying to live it up while I can. Summer will be here soon enough and I will be miserable and missing this weather.

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

you wont get a real winter either.........we are exiting the last ice age. Bad news in this EMF fake light world........