1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fasted State Training Adaptations

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Mar 19, 2012.

1. AlphaCog

AlphaCog New Member

Barry,

Just curious, what is your resting heart rate?

BrainWhisperer likes this.
  2. Barry

Barry New Member

Yes , he's pretty good

3. Barry

Barry New Member

It's low, as it should be in my case, 40's

4. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

Congrats on the race results. That sounds like a wonderful trail, too!

I've decided not to pursue karate at the moment due to costs, and instead am taking advantage of my new city to it's fullest potential. I go swimming in the lake, I cycle (not like race speed or anything), I walk/hike. I just go outdoors. hehe. This is definitely enough fitness for me at this time. I will see with time if I wish to return to karate or not. I suppose I'm only telling you this because I asked those questions in the past regarding keto + more explosive/intense bursts training.

Good luck with future races! I love your updates on 'what is most important for health' etc. Thanks for your perspective. I especially appreciated #4.

5. Barry

Barry New Member

Thanks Gladina , appreciate it

6. Barry

Barry New Member

So I've been running for the past 2 days

Day 1:

Fresh coffee , then run. Ran for 40 miles over mountains . Took 7.5 hrs. Ate minimally during : homemade co/nut bar, banana , water

Arrive at Mountain lodge in the evening and had keto meal. Lamb shank with veg. Some guiness to wash it down ;-)

Day 2:

Fresh coffee , then run . Basically back the way we came . 40 miles, 7.5hrs. Had 1 bacon gluten free bread sandwich during . Only water for hydration . Fish with veg and some sweet potato for evening meal.

So 15hrs of running, in the fasted state, over 2 days with just 1 meal each day .

"in order for the adaptation to occur , the stimulus must resonate"

7. Barry

Barry New Member

Race Update:

My final race of the season, Giants Causeway Ultramarathon, 39.3miles

Day before:

- eggs/steak breakfast

- mackerel/veg lunch

- salmon/veg dinner

Race Day: empty, caffe doppio ;-)

Result: 1st in 5.47hrs

I'm not just preaching it, I'm doing it

"in order for the adaptation to occur, the stimulus must resonate"

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

nice job.........

9. Barry

Barry New Member

10. chocolate

chocolate Silver

Very very cool!

11. Barry

Barry New Member

12. Barry

Barry New Member

Race Update:

Today I set a national record for the fastest known time over a mountain route, 42km, took me 3.20hrs

but here's where what applies

Day before: I IF now, mainly 2 meals per day, one at lunch and one at dinner. Thats what I did on this day. Very low carb, high fat

Morning before race: no food, just black fresh coffee

During: nothing, other than a few sips of water, about 250ml in total

This was a relatively short distance for me. But I had to run at a higher intensity, it would be equivalent to a 2.50hr marathon pace.

This "normally" requires 8-10g/Kg of CHO 24hrs before, along with 60-80g of CHO per hr

But I'm not doing that..... and people don't get it.

When you know better, you do better ;-)

13. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Awesome! I'm intrigued by your ability to do long, higher-intensity efforts in a fasted/keto state. Congrats!

14. jonnyh

jonnyh New Member

Good stuff Barry.

I have just started training fasted in the mornings at the weekends, after a coffee of course!

It's a great feeling, and I'm slowly building up my bike rides and runs, and really enjoying it. I'm keeping the runs and bike rides low intensity at the moment, but I have done some weights sessions fasted, and they were good too.

I have best part of 4 weeks off on holiday at Christmas, so am looking forward to ramping the fasted training up then.

15. chocolate

chocolate Silver

Congratulations!

16. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

last comment on that thread from a carb loading ultra athlete caught my eye.......he is unaware of what he does not know.

18. Barry

Barry New Member

Thanks , I knew about his MEP work . One month is nowhere near enough I time to see the true adaptations though

19. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Looks like his diet was still crap....

"peanuts for their lower carbohydrate content), cheese (like it is going out of style), deli meat, ground turkey/beef, turkey bacon (transitioning to the real stuff this week), ........... peanut butter in small quantities, .............. I can't leave out mayonnaise, of which I can eat by the spoonful!"

20. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I agree, his diet is far from optimal but I think it's quite interesting that he is at least moving in the direction of low carb/high fat. There are lots of ways to get to the same destination.