1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fasted State Training Adaptations

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Barry

Barry New Member

To rekindle this discussion.

Winter here in Ireland.... two big things I notice

- dark cloudy days change my mood detrimentally, any sort of brightness/sunlight/blue skies has the opposite affect

- being indoors for longer than 30mins, in an office type environment , has a negative affect on me . The minute I walk outside, I feel better

It seems the more connected you become with nature, the more difficult it is to live in the modern world

drezy, Danco3636, Linz and 2 others like this.
  2. Inger

Inger Silver

I totally know what you mean.....

I thought about why this is.

My guess is, because when we know how "good" feels, and so we also feel it fast when "good" disappears (through too much time indoor etc).

The same might apply to food, cigarettes and so on. I have smoked on and off in my life and when I did it with very much awareness, the quitting and starting again, I could feel a subtle difference in my "good/wellbeing" feeling. It disappeared when I smoked. So I could not ignore it how it distroyed me. It was very subtle, no real symptoms but it was there.

I feel the same about food... If I am very aware of how things make me feel it becomes a guide to what is good for me or not.

I guess the same goes for everything... also people we connect with.....

So fascinating getting more and more aware about ones feelings, as subtle as they are

I had to work yesterday, indoors, and it was sun outside. I had to tell myself in the car driving to work,

Hey do not be sad. The sun WILL come out again! Do not worry, it always comes. You can do this. You are a strong girl!

I just felt so bad about not being able to be naked in the sun, but having to work indoors instead I almost wanted to cry...lol (or turn back home and tell the boss I could not come today ;) )
    I did manage to get about 20 minutes of naked tanning before leaveing though.. but I craved way more. Felt sooo wrong, having to put on clothes and leave, huh.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Barry and drezy like this.
  3. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I hear yea. Being in doors makes me anxious. I feel like a caged animal. Once outside it’s a breath of fresh air - freedom. Even on the cold rainy days it feels good just to be out. But when the sun hits amazing. I feel like I need to run to the sun. I go outside in the cold and just let the rays hit me.

I find I drink more water when I am inside and less when I’m outside.

Barry, Inger and drezy like this.
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Winter in New Orleans is pretty good. 77F here and I am swimming.

Buds are already on trees here.

Barry, Sajid Mahmood and drezy like this.
  5. Barry

Barry New Member

Thats a good summers day here in Ireland Jack.

But it seems the main inhibitor of being outdoors is work . Although I like what I do, its 90% indoors, online.

When you live where I live, you see simple outdoor jobs... farmers, fishermen, roofers, painters, builders. The irony of life is that they look at the indoor office type job as some sort of "ideal" or "dream" .... is it a case of the grass is always greenr ?

big part of me looking at ways of redirecting my career or combining it with something more outdoors

Bob Stirling and drezy like this.
  6. Bob Stirling

Bob Stirling Silver

I found that self-employment and diversification worked well. Four or 5 good skills gave the opportunity to move around and do different things, inside and outside, in all seasons. It also helped in economic down-turns. I can't imagine doing just one thing.

Corey Nelson and drezy like this.
  7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Barry I have been redirecting my life toward outside now for 15 years. It is not easy but must be done.

Danco3636, recoen and drezy like this.
  8. Barry

Barry New Member

Its arguably the biggest challenge we have. You can know all about PPP, DDW, EMF, CCG, etc etc

but if you are not spending the main part of your life outdoors.... then its a case of "I'd rather be dumb and antifragile, then extremely smart and fragile" ... or simply being a doer rather than a talker

Bob makes a good point ... diversify... even if I have to maintain a 2 day per week office type job... it would be better with 3 days outdoors

Corey Nelson and recoen like this.
  9. Barry

Barry New Member

Apart from the general public spending more time inside than out... it is happening with athletes who now opt to train more indoors than outdoors.

There are many causes, one is the advancement of technology and the other is the drive of fear factor in order to control society. Then there is the comfort zone that we continue to make bigger as consumers. So we have fancy computerized training equipment and we have the fear in our veins and the lack of ability or motivation to go outside of our comfort zone.

Think of a cyclist... who for most of his/her life has trained outdoors all year round. However, now, they have a Zwift or a Wahoo. These are indoor bike trainers linked to a computer screen that gives you a "virtual" training experience.

You can do the same with a treadmill. What it allows then is for you to live in a city, but ride up the Alps or run in some exotic place. It also allows you to race other "virtual" trainers.

First, let me outline what massively important adaptations you miss out on if you don't train outdoors:

- Sunlight and Daylight which control basically everything in your body

- Grounding/Magnetism

- Cold Exposure

- Zeitgebers - Circadian Rhythm

- Quantum biology effects

- Balance of modern stressors i.e. blue light and nnEMF are now everywhere , just training outside at least subtracts some of this exposure.

These adaptations each have a huge impact beneficially in terms of performance and health. I have already written about some of them in depth and we have discussed them in the podcast.

So if you train indoors, despite doing what you consider to be a hard programmed session with your power measured and climbs and even virtual racing.... what you have missed out on is far more significant.

What is even more disturbing is how us homosapiens are able to justify our choices to convince ourselves that we are doing the right thing.

have a read of this: https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20043122/why-i-love-to-zwift/

I've been reading the latest book by Yuval Noah Harari - "21 lessons for the 21st Century". He makes a very good point about modern times - "we are upgrading our computers but downgrading humans".

Likewise, I think we are upgrading our training equipment but downgrading the athlete.

If you don't get sunlight, don't get cold, don't feel the earth, don't hear the wind or feel the rain..... you are losing control of your circadian rhythm, raising inflammation, deactivating neurotransmitters and not expressing certain genes. That's just some of the things.

I have stated this point from the very beginning, its on my "about" page.

"I want to help make you a better athlete, the current model is flawed."

Continued........on The Connected Athlete https://www.patreon.com/connectedathlete/posts

10. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Great points and well stated.
    I always feel better outside, feeling the elements and nature.
    The other day driving home I had to just pull over and run, play, jump, climb down some
    Nature trails. All of 30 minutes and I felt a world of difference. A quick recharge!

Keep it coming Barry.

11. Barry

Barry New Member

My new Quantlet

walking the talk.... image1(1).JPG

Paul Fendler and drezy like this.
  12. drezy

drezy Gold

With a watch like that I dedicate this song to you Barry:

Sajid Mahmood and Barry like this.
  13. Paul Fendler

Paul Fendler New Member

Attached Files:

drezy likes this.
  14. [QUOTE="Barry, post: 262495, member: 717"

When you live where I live, you see simple outdoor jobs... farmers, fishermen, roofers, painters, builders. The irony of life is that they look at the indoor office type job as some sort of "ideal" or "dream" .... is it a case of the grass is always greenr ?
    s[/QUOTE]

I enjoy your posts Barry but i got to disagree with that notion all the simple working stiffs covet your job or lifestyle. Ive been all those trades and there are no new economy jobs that can keep me inside.

15. Barry

Barry New Member

nice

16. Barry

Barry New Member

I enjoy your posts Barry but i got to disagree with that notion all the simple working stiffs covet your job or lifestyle. Ive been all those trades and there are no new economy jobs that can keep me inside.[/QUOTE]

good for you.... the grass isn't always greener in your case

17. Barry

Barry New Member

TRAINING UPDATE

New life grounded

Any quantum new born tips ??

image2.jpeg

18. JanSz

JanSz Gold

That new life is wrapped in QUILT.
    Good start.
    Good luck.
    ----
    Note that Jack's Quilt barely started.
    upload_2019-5-5_18-9-50.png

Barry, caroline and recoen like this.
  19. caroline

caroline Moderator

Beautiful little family - congratulations.

Barry likes this.
  20. HenrikB

HenrikB New Member

Congrats Barry!! Very happy photo - thanks for sharing!

Barry likes this.