1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fasted State Training Adaptations

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Barry

Barry New Member

2. Barry

Barry New Member

win-win-win situation

Danco3636 likes this.
  3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Go hungry hunting.

4. Barry

Barry New Member

5. Barry

Barry New Member

6. Barry

Barry New Member

Taken from my Patreon..... read between the lines...

Would you like to know why Quantum beer is good for you ?

Let me explain:

Did you know that hops contain alpha acids called Humulones ?. During the brewing process, humulone degrades to cis and trans isohumulones. These iso-alpha acids survive the boiling process but many oxidized derivitives are formed. What this causes is a a massive increase in the proton-motive force. This is what drives our most important nanomachine, ATP synthase.

The increase in the proton motive forces improves the chemiosmotic coupling. Isohumulones thus increase the electrical potential of the inner mitochondrial membrane. Electrons are shuttled from respiratory complex I, III and IV and this electron current powers the extrusion of protons (H+) through the three respiratory complexes. However, the cis from of the isohumulone from beer with a high hop content, provides more readily available H+ protons . Thus as each pair of electrons passes down the respiratory chain, 12 protons instead of 10 are pumped at complex I, III and IV. The flux of protons back through the ATP synthase drives the synthesis of ATP from ADP and phosphate.

more ATP = more Energy.

So drink more beer !

right ?

well sorry to ruin it all for you but, no. not right. I just made all that up. Most of the terms and the mechanisms I refer to are real, I learnt them from a book called "The Vital Question" by Nick Lane..... but the story and how isohumulones work was just fabricated by me.

I just wanted to highlight something called "The Illusion of Knowledge" .

I believe we are riddled with it today in the health and fitness world. Knowledge you see is easy to gain these days. You can read and study anything you want online. You can even get access to science journals and do as much of your own research as you like. What you can then do is write something very scientific and even 90% valid to give the illusion of knowledge. Do this enough times and people start believing anything you say or write. I've observed this happen with the "keto" movement over the last few years. There is a huge amount of some very good information, very believable and even valid... or lets say sort of valid. Off the back of all that came the keto supplements which is a multi-million dollar industry now. But ultimately it is all an illusion of knowledge built to control the consumer.

Its actually quite difficult to avoid this illusion of knowledge strategy especially when something is written in very complex language and actually contains lots of complex science.

If you are very studious and do enough of your own reading and research, you might uncover some flaws that would cause you to raise your eyebrow.

However, I like to use two simple heuristic techniques. One is time. Whatever it is, see how long the recommendation or advice has been in existence. Time will tell whether it is something that has been tried and tested. The other is Skin in the Game. Find out if the author has taken risk and applied whatever it is they are talking about, in the field. Even find out if the object or strategy or recommendation has skin in the game. Something can sound intellectual but still be idiotic if it hasn't been used in real life under real conditions.

So there is no such thing as Quantum beer I'm afraid. Its been consumed for hundreds of years and people still get drunk and even the brewers who make it, get drunk ;-)

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

"The Illusion of Knowledge"

Wisdom and knowledge are not synonyms. Those who seek wisdom must seek many truths to gain insight. They must be tenacious. Knowledge is a part of ignorance that man arranges and classify. Knowledge has the shelf life as fish do in a market. It is not sustainable and does not always lead to truth. If knowledge is information, wisdom is the understanding and application of that knowledge and insight is the awareness of the underlying essence of a truth.

Sadly we can gain a lifetime of knowledge, yet never see the wisdom in it. We can be wise but still miss the deeper meaning of facts. Today medicine is a good example of this.

There are many who know things among us but lacking in wisdom. Your mentors should be filled with wisdom because they will be the connectors of life.

Their insight will be indefatigable for you. Not even ‘father time’ can destroy the natural truth of Mother Nature.

Knowledge is knowing a human life is roughly 80 years.
    Wisdom is saving enough resources to navigate that journey
    Insight is building a life with people around you at 35 years to sustain the onslaught of the journey

Knowledge is measuring that a desert path is 12.4 miles long.
    Wisdom is packing enough water for the hike.
    Insight is building a lemonade stand at mile 6.

Knowledge is knowing how to manage your money, budgeting, spending, saving.
    Wisdom is understanding how money impacts the quality of your life and your future.
    Insight is realizing that money is simply a tool to be used, that it has no inherent meaning beyond its usefulness.

Knowledge is learning how to paint and using that skill to cultivate a livelihood.
    Wisdom is expressing your passion through painting and understanding that art is a form of communication that touches the lives of others.
    Insight is perceiving that all things can be art and that creating your art contributes to the understanding and the expression of the essence of the world around you.

Knowledge is knowing which things, practices, people, and pleasures make you happy.
    Wisdom is knowing that while those things may bring you pleasure, happiness is not derived from things or situations or people. It’s understanding that happiness comes from within and that it’s a temporary state of mind.
    Insight is knowing that happiness is not the purpose of life, that it’s not the marker of the quality of life—it’s merely one of the many fleeting states of mind in the spectrum of full emotions. Those emotions don’t make up our lives; they are merely experiences.

Knowledge, wisdom, and insight all are valuable and all have a place in our lives. The difficulty lies in the fact that many of us are unclear as to their differences, often perceiving the terms and their application to be interchangeable. Being clear and consciously aware of how our minds are engaged may be important to getting the most out of all three. While acquiring and applying information is valuable in and of itself, we also need to distill and judge that information, and ultimately find the deeper meaning and relevance to the whole of our lives. Perhaps the truest form of knowing is in acquiring all three, and understanding how they each enhance the quality and experience of life.

8. Inger

Inger Silver

awesome ^^

Barry likes this.
  9. drezy

drezy Gold

You might want to copyright that and at least make a little money when inevitably someone copy and pastes it into their marketing material.

Barry likes this.
  10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

My curiosity was heightened when I came to:
    beer with a high hop content

For me it is in the category of
    oxytocin stimulating
    so it cannot be not totally bad.
    and
    it is easier to get
    My days of runners high are rather behind me.

Cheryl. and drezy like this.
  11. Barry

Barry New Member

Its an unfortunate inevitability Drezy..... sure even Jack mimics what I say.... although that maybe more because we think the same but different.

I remember another forum member here telling me about U.G. Krishnamurti, claimed to be an "anti-guru"... and I resonated with one of his mantra's

"My teaching, if that is the word you want to use, has no copyright. You are free to reproduce, distribute, interpret, misinterpret, distort, garble, do what you like, even claim authorship, without my consent or the permission of anybody."

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^that. I post to share........if you don't you're on the wrong medium.

13. Barry

Barry New Member

I hear you

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

FASTED TRAINING WISDOM ALERT: You're not hungry in the morning *because* you ate most of your food later in the day the day before. Try skipping dinner. You'll be hungry for breakfast the next morning I promise.

Exercising while fasted induces adaptations to mitochondria in muscle and adipose tissue including increased fatty acid metabolism that is blunted by pre-exercise feeding (meta-analysis of 46 clinical studies to show you the veracity). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29315892

15. JackieNewZealand

JackieNewZealand New Member

Problem is that skipping dinner prevents me from falling asleep. I've never felt hungry in the morning and always exercise fasted just because it feels odd to eat when I'm not hungry and then it drags down the activity session. Too wide awake if don't eat in the evening.

Cheryl. likes this.
  16. Barry

Barry New Member

Training Update:

Christmas spent near the equator.... sunrise, sea, sunset, DHA....

In order for the adaptation to occur, the stimulus must resonate...........

image1(34).JPG image1(35).JPG

Ryan the Mitovator likes this.
  17. Michael CULLEN

Michael CULLEN New Member

Looks great, where is that?

18. Barry

Barry New Member

Essaouira

19. Barry

Barry New Member

"It all started the day we left nature behind..."

one for the KLC

I see this happening with athletes and training.... not just gym goers, but cyclists and runners. Its going to be the athlete demise if it continues.

shah78 likes this.
  20. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Yep