1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum. After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum. Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis. Sorry for the Inconvenience, but we hope you understand that this is needed to prevent the community from being ridden with malicious users!

Fasted State Training Adaptations

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Barry

Barry New Member

P.S

"once flow begins, light enhances that flow" G.Pollack

a lot to be said there....
    Sean Waters likes this.
  2. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Great insights.
    Though I still like my diet, fasting and things still dialed in (I just now enjoy and crave a seafood epi-paleo, keto based, seasonal diet) I too have found a profound effect from daily sun.

One thing I have found that really enhances and quantifies the effect of the sun is being barefoot. I crave and love being barefoot. Especially in the sun. My feet have really toughened up from me always going barefoot. I always feel better kicking off my shoes and even go barefoot in public.

And my feet stay in nice condition. They don't look all jacked up like you see some that go barefoot. My feel look better than most guys that wear shoes or flip-flops.

The more I connect the more profound the effect seems.

Kick the shoes off, let the sunshine in and add some movement.
    Sean Waters, HenrikB and drezy like this.
  3. Barry

Barry New Member

that all goes back a few pages to our "how do you know you are connected"...... so I'm with you there for sure

what's interesting is when you connect the dots and marry it up with Jacks work.... that's what has driven me to continue here over the past few years.

For example, from his latest Warburg blog:

When mitochondria are stressed calcium comes rushing in to it. Why? It is trying to re-tune the inner mitochondrial membrane to oscillate at 100Hz so it can return to fat burning. When it cannot, mitochondrial stress increases, its size increases and heteroplasmy rates rise. Influx of mitochondrial calcium increases the rate of oxygen consumption to create a realtive pseudohypoxia at the tissue level because of the activation of calcium-activated dehydrogenases (GDH mentioned above), and by activating mitochondrial nitric oxide synthase (mtNOS), decreases the rates of oxygen consumption because nitric oxide is a competitive inhibitor of cytochrome oxidase.

Cells need mechanisms that ensure that the rate of formation of ATP matches tissue requirements for this molecule. In most mammalian cells, ATP is mainly formed through mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation. Changes in ATP synthesis (ATPase) can be completed through alterations in the activities of the mitochondrial dehydrogenases (IR-A red light does this!), which generate NADH and FADH for the respiratory chain. People do not realize IR-A light can replenish these things with no FOOD intake needed. Three of these dehydrogenases are of particular importance (i.e., pyruvate dehydrogenase, NAD+-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase, and 2-oxoglutarate dehydrogenase) because they can be activated by increases in calcium, (NAD+)/(NADH) or (ADP)/(ATP) ratios. nnEMF is well know to cause calcium imbalance in cells, especially mitochondria.

So how do I marry that up with what I'm doing ?

I want to destress my mitchondria = go barefoot as much as possible

I want to generate NADH and FADH for my respiratory chain = get morning sunlight

Everything is simple when you know how. And the body is more clever than you think it is, if you let it be.
  4. HenrikB

HenrikB New Member

I smile each time my body reacts to the current environment and I think about that post, "yeap, connecting."

Also, this forum's subject, "Fasted State Training Adaptations," makes me think about animals, how they always perform best before they eat—when they're empty and are ready to hunt. Personally, that fasted feeling is my favorite. It feels like there are no limitations to what can be achieved.
  5. JanSz

JanSz Silver

(IR-A red light does this!)
    ------------------------------------------

CMVision IR130 198 LED Indoor/Outdoor Long Range 300-400ft IR Illuminator With Free 3A 12VDC Adaptor
    by CMVision

Price: $66.95
    [​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR130-Outdoor-300-400ft-Illuminator/dp/B004F9LF7E/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488125922&sr=8-1-fkmr3&keywords=infrared flood light built
  6. drezy

drezy Gold

Call me crazy, but I have this funny feeling that @Barry doesn't have one of these strapped to his torso during his runs.

If I we're stuck in a hospital against my will I'd be the first guy hitting the "buy" button on that. Otherwise get your sun and your nature.

I've personally come to the conclusion that no engineered alternative will even be a laughable comparison.
    Danco3636, Sean Waters and JanSz like this.
  7. Barry

Barry New Member

Anyone follow Chris Masterjohn's stuff ?

good at his biochemistry but I sense he lacks a certain something.........

IMG_9216.JPG
    HenrikB likes this.
  8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

He spoke at Vermont with me and needless to say he stayed for my entire lecture and was pretty intrigued. He has no clue how light dominates metabolic pathways.
    drezy likes this.
  9. Barry

Barry New Member

oh yeah, he lacks an understanding of light as well..... ;-)
  10. kris90

kris90 New Member

Yes, he joined us for breakfast on the Sunday in Vermont. I had a bit of a side conversation with him, and he doesn't seem to think ketosis is anything special, and it's basically starvation mode.

He has not made the connections yet. Seems more of a textbook kind of guy.
  11. Barry

Barry New Member

IMG_9216.JPG My question to Chris MasterJohn following his video on fat for performance

Me:

What HIT or endurance sports do you do Chris ?

Chris:

Barry I was doing CrossFit Aug 2015-Jan 2017 but now because of other health issues I'm reprioritizing and doing PT 1x/wk bodybuilding with full rests between sets once every 5d and home mobility program from PT every day, so no high intensity work right now.

enough said.
    Danco3636 likes this.
  12. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

"health issues"
  13. Hunger4More

Hunger4More New Member

14. Barry

Barry New Member

Race Update

so my Wednesday races finished last week. These weren't ultra's.... they were ~10km mountain trail races.

These were 10km , high intensity, flat out running.

My highest placing was 3rd. My overall standing after 7 races was 5th. Typically 200 competing.

I haven't changed my diet or fasted state stuff.

So I was running faster than ever at a much higher intensity.

But guys like Chris MasterJohn don't think this is biochemically possible.

I have nothing personally against him and I was more of a biochemistry guy when I first started here. Thing is, I knew there was more to it. My inkling came from my doing. It's what I keep in referring to.... Skin in the Game.

" I have no responsibility to be like they expect me to be. It is their mistake, not my failing"
    Pogo, Danco3636 and drezy like this.
  15. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Once again nice update and thanks. Keep the skin in the game and keep going. Proof is in the skin.
    Barry likes this.