1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fasted State Training Adaptations

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Mar 19, 2012.

1. kris90

kris90 New Member

Yes, he joined us for breakfast on the Sunday in Vermont. I had a bit of a side conversation with him, and he doesn't seem to think ketosis is anything special, and it's basically starvation mode.

He has not made the connections yet. Seems more of a textbook kind of guy.
  2. Barry

Barry New Member

IMG_9216.JPG My question to Chris MasterJohn following his video on fat for performance

Me:

What HIT or endurance sports do you do Chris ?

Chris:

Barry I was doing CrossFit Aug 2015-Jan 2017 but now because of other health issues I'm reprioritizing and doing PT 1x/wk bodybuilding with full rests between sets once every 5d and home mobility program from PT every day, so no high intensity work right now.

enough said.
    Danco3636 likes this.
  3. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

"health issues"
  4. Hunger4More

Hunger4More New Member

Masterjohn = IYI
  5. Barry

Barry New Member

Race Update

so my Wednesday races finished last week. These weren't ultra's.... they were ~10km mountain trail races.

These were 10km , high intensity, flat out running.

My highest placing was 3rd. My overall standing after 7 races was 5th. Typically 200 competing.

I haven't changed my diet or fasted state stuff.

So I was running faster than ever at a much higher intensity.

But guys like Chris MasterJohn don't think this is biochemically possible.

I have nothing personally against him and I was more of a biochemistry guy when I first started here. Thing is, I knew there was more to it. My inkling came from my doing. It's what I keep in referring to.... Skin in the Game.

" I have no responsibility to be like they expect me to be. It is their mistake, not my failing"
    Pogo, Danco3636 and drezy like this.
  6. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Once again nice update and thanks. Keep the skin in the game and keep going. Proof is in the skin.
    Barry likes this.
  7. Barry

Barry New Member

Since fasting is the trend now..... maybe we're fasting on the wrong thing ?

Wouldn't we all be better off fasting from technology ?

Yet people here seem to live on this forum daily and every time I open my FB, there is a picture of Jack..... just sayin
  8. drezy

drezy Gold

Concise and very pertinent. I always like your Hemingway style.

If you'd let me take a swing at the dissonance I'd start with the fact that humans are social animals. I'd also say that having raised a kid, good old Lev Vygotsky was on to something when he surmised that:

If I were to keep my connections face to face, here is who I would have to choose from:
    • A father that is convinced I'll be giving myself cancer from sun exposure
    • A neighbor, on their 5th double knee replacement, also concerned about my UV exposure and very eager to discuss TV shows
    • Another neighbor that lives for politics whilst taking supplemental D for his major prostate issue at 49
    • Multiple coworkers pats and present who are either obese, alcoholic, or both.

I think you are way more connected/coupled than the majority here. I also think many, me included, require the social interaction to process all this. But if I can bend your question a little and hopefully keep it still on target, is the social interaction maybe sometimes used to avoid action? I think so.

In my own mother's shouting metaphorical words (while driving behind a highly indecisive driver when I was 5) "Shit or get off the pot!"
    pMD and Sean Waters like this.
  9. Barry

Barry New Member

good points Drezy.

For sure, we are social animals.

My issue, and I also blame myself, is that we are blatantly being hypocritical.

Arguably, the biggest hypocrites at the moment is this community given the vast knowledge we have on all things EMF and bluelight.

No matter how many UVEX glasses we are wearing, or earthing mats we have or flux we use...... the best and only true cure is avoidance

And yes, maybe it is being used to avoid action also. I know Jacks biggest issue is being on call, but maybe, perhaps, fasting from this forum, FB , instagram and twitter..... might, just might, improve his health ?
  10. chimpchops27

chimpchops27 New Member

Barry Just wondered if you still use BCAA before your fasted training.?

Cheers
  11. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Also great poiints.

However, speaking from my n=1, If I cant interact, then what is the point living to 100+?

At the very least we know what is hurting us, even if we decide it is worth the risk.
    drezy and Sean Waters like this.
  12. It's about finding the balance that works for you... But that requires a lot of self awareness and criticism to be open to you own pitfalls.

I use this forum at work only, as I'm on my laptop 9-6pm all day anyway, but once I'm home I don't touch a laptop or device... it works for me and I feel fine, that's my balance, for now.
  13. Barry

Barry New Member

no......... discovered too many gains with the power of subtraction

but that's not to say they could be helpful for some...
  14. Barry

Barry New Member

The big issue Da-mo.... is what this constant interaction leads to-: - constant information overload - constant illusions of knowledge - constant delusions of granduer

I even sense it in myself..... it's too much.
    drezy, Da-mo and Sean Waters like this.
  15. At least you sense it... that's the part some are missing.
    drezy likes this.
  16. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Yes, face to face would be far better than virtual interaction/
  17. Barry

Barry New Member

Race Update

so getting back to exercise and performance

2 weeks ago, I won my first ever "short" race. 7.5km, forest trail. 28.40mins. Flat out running.

almost exactly 2yrs ago, I won a 200km race in 26hrs.

Yet, I am still following my same principles. And they still say this can't be done.

I am just a bird that knows how to fly, while the others who have never flown lecture to me about how it should be done.

IMG_9216.JPG
    HenrikB likes this.
  18. Barry

Barry New Member

I also am signing up to Bill L's Patreon as he used to word "bollixed" in his latest blog

Tried signing up to Jack's, but was asked for too many signage questions... will try again

And might start my own.. even if I get 2
    Allin likes this.
  19. drezy

drezy Gold

Always great points Barry.

I hope you don't mind if I still have vicarious delusions of racing when I check on what you've been up to.
    After reading your entries I often say stuff like:

"Pheww I'm winded where's the volunteer with the cup of water?
    or my favorite
    "We're going longer distances, I better carb up a little tonight."

Once without even thinking about it I even tied my sneakers so tight I couldn't pull my foot out without untying it. For a guy that only ever ran to the bathroom that's quite a bit of needle moving right there. Just know that you don't go unnoticed Barry. We're entangled (even if you'd rather not...).
  20. Barry

Barry New Member

Komerbi
    drezy likes this.