1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fasted State Training Adaptations

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Mar 19, 2012.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I do not know what to expect.
    Like most at first I was a gong ho on a seafood, but that did not improved my numbers, so I dropped it and started eating AA supplements (on top of bacon), that makes my numbers look better.
    I just started my 78th year couple days ago, in few days will start 21 year without paycheck.
    So far so good.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Alex97232 likes this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Abouy DHA, I expect that at some point there will be announcement or just a breadcrumb, similar to what happened to water and hydration.

I fell so sorry watching video of this poor girl finishing quickly hers gallon of water and looking for the next one.
    I have not seen her lately, she would have found that it is not about drinking water, "structured" or not.
    It is about conditioning your mitochondria so it would make more of (actually structured) water.

Learning great things.

Alex97232 likes this.
  3. Ski coach

Ski coach Gold

Janz, you seem to put great faith is the lab ranges for DHA. Do you know how they were created? What population was tested? Until I got involved with Dr. Kruse I didn't know anyone who ate a lot (any?) seafood. Where did they find and how did they (the lab people) select who should be a reference for the ranges? Perhaps your tests show a really healthy person rather than one of the poor slobs that were the basis of the range. Maybe you should be the reference! :) Don't drive yourself crazy with tests.

Barry, HenrikB, Sean Waters and 4 others like this.
  4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I am monitoring my fatty acids for a decade if not more.
    To me advice to eat fish oils sounds real similar to advice to eat statins. Big Pharma talk.
    Additionally high levels of DHA and EPA correlate highly with neolitic diseases.
    Parkinsons, MS, ALS, ADHD, fibromyalgia, etc.
    Check this book:
    http://www.bodybio.com/storecategory126.aspx
    Do not trust in what I just said, just get tested and see where you are.
    Caveat
    go to legal laboratory,
    LabCorp, Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins
    The disease is spreading, there are laboratories that always tell you that you should eat seafood.
    Genova Diagnostic is one of them.
    Do not trust, verify.

5. Barry

Barry New Member

The Connected Athlete

Attached Files:

Inger likes this.
  6. Inger

Inger Silver

this is what I have been thinking too.... ;)

I am eating so much seafood (lots of oysters) every day for years and I feel so healthy and happy! I do not test my lipids...because as said above... who knows for sure what the range should be? I trust in nature.. I believe we evolved by the sea....and living north I for sure am made to live off the sea too :)

shah78, Danco3636 and Mitchell97 like this.
  7. Inger

Inger Silver

Jan, I think you missed Ski coach´s point here ;)
    He was not talking about fish oils....

JanSz and Danco3636 like this.
  8. Barry

Barry New Member

"One begins to wonder if all the most interesting problems in physics are now in biology"

Nick Lane, The Vital Question.

9. htw

htw New Member

Barry likes this.
  10. Pogo

Pogo New Member

Have you tried habituation at all, Barry? Moving your typical training window to the end of the day, closer to bed time, in order to help your body get used to it.

I don't know what your usual schedule looks like, but I suspect it is mostly earlier in the day. I run exclusively first thing in the morning, and every race I've done thus far, has had a morning start. So I'd almost certainly have to get used to an evening starting gun. Particularly for shorter, higher intensity efforts.

11. Barry

Barry New Member

I like what you're saying as it's the Law of Specificity ... I've done 4 of these races already so by default I feel more habituated . But normally all my training is am

Best recovery so far has been sea dip after ... Carbs post race also . Recently did hot bath , seaweed and salts.. Cold shower after... That worked quite well too ... Sleep still not optimal though ..

Pogo likes this.
  12. Barry, could it be that your training, the long endurance racing is starting to take its toll on your body?

I'm reluctant to say this, as I'd like to believe that if one's mitochondria are top notch then anything is achievable.

Wim Hof for example. (Polar circle marathon and Sahara marathon).

But I know that in Ancient Greek history, the extreme marathon runners died after passing the messages between Sparta and Greece. Phillipides was one of them I think.

Could it be that we aren't geared to long distance run?

13. htw

htw New Member

generally speaking , sport is not always good for overall health ..
    anyone who is doing higher level any kind of sports knows what I'm talking about.

@Barry
    " Carbs post race also"

how much?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  14. Barry

Barry New Member

No Sean, thats what I've spent the last 5yrs writing this blog to disprove

plus, now I am not doing the long distance stuff

15. Barry

Barry New Member

exactly.... and the bottom line is this - running flat out in a mountain race at 7.30pm is not that good for the body.... I know that

not much

16. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

This passage in a book caught my attention recently.

Copper Canyon Mexico where the uncivilized Tarahuma Indians live is at 27 degree N latitude, and fairly high elevation (2100ft - 8000ft). Distance runners seem to have robust health at least whats been studied in male runners age 18 - 48.

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I had a VCR video on which Russian trainer was describing similar method, but he was aiming at landing at the toes (without using heel or hardly using them).
    To visualize, he compared first human leg to animal's.
    Animals run on their toes only, their heel is not able to touch ground.
    Additionally he was after creating circular motion of the feet where part of the (I think) upward motion would happen as a spring recoil, without using energy to accomplish it.
    He suggested to give that motion time to happen, saving energy in the process.

I think my plantar fasciitis problem came from incorrect application of this method.

/ upload_2017-6-11_12-7-45.png

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  18. Well a simple test would surely be - stop racing late and see how you sleep - If no difference, then surely it points to the training or something else.

When was the last time you tested for nnEMF in your environment?

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Stuck at a high latitude? Get some altitude. Solar irradiance increases 6-10% for every 1,000 meters (3,280 feet) you climb. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1011134496000188

20. htw

htw New Member