1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Fasted State Training Adaptations

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

some thoughts on what being connected to nature means in my context:

- when its sunny, being indoors for any length of time, makes you feel uneasy
    ✔️ I crave being in the sun!

- if the air is cool, but the sun is out, others cover up but you remove more clothing to expose more skin
    ✔️yep

- same with training, when cycling, others are zipped up if air temp is fresh, but as long as the radiant heat from the sun is there, you wear less
    ✔️yep. Always less

- you prefer to eat your meals outside, the food on the plate looks even better
    ✔️ cooking outside too.

- after waking, the first thing you want to do is walk outside barefoot
    ✔️ my morning pee is outside in my undies or naked.

- like a kid, you don't like wearing shoes, and at every opportunity, kick them off
    ✔️when home shoes are always off. At every opportunity.

- when its grey and cloudy, you feel uneasy
    ✔️ just like my cats we get anxious lol

- you notice the change of colour and growth in the plants, flowers and vegetation almost daily
    ✔️I do my daily walk inspection of my trees and shrubs.

- being in a mall/shopping center is torture
    ✔️I avoid the mall and very rarely go.

- you fall naturally asleep almost at the exact same time every night and wake without an alarm clock at the exact same time
    ✔️yep no alarm clock in years.

- when you meet someone for the first time, you know within 5mins if they are disconnected, if they take their smartphone out for no apparent reason
    ✔️for sure. People do it all the time. Even when visiting each other they have their phones on. I intentionally leave my phone off or at home when visiting family and friends.

there are more, that is all for now
    ⚫️➖ Essential Items For Healing
    Cold - Showers and ice bathsWater - Drinking and soakingSunlight - Outside on the groundDHA - SeafoodSleep - Deep long sleep
    ★彡 Nature Provides the tools. We just need to use them.
    Or ➖
    HEALERS I KNOW:

1. Sunlight.

2. Pure clean water.

3. Earth, magnetism, grounding, CT (cold).

4. Seafood/ DHA

5. Self confidence in your choices.

6. Family & friends.

7. Laughter, fun & Play.

8. Connecting to nature.

9. Sleep.
    Mystic Rose60, shah78 and Barry like this.
  2. kris90

kris90 New Member

Just wondering, has this link been posted here before (sorry if it has)?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151117091234.htm

Is the reason the low-carb athletes had comparable muscle glycogen level to the high carb athletes because of the ability of the PPP to replenish glycogen without carbs?
  3. Penny

Penny New Member

No idea, but they were probably running outside in the sun a lot:) I wonder if it would hold true in a basketball player in MN? To Danco... this is me except in addition to looking at every flower I behold, I also have to smell them:)
  4. Barry

Barry New Member

Potentially. But more related to glucagon and gluconeogensis
    kris90 likes this.
  5. Barry

Barry New Member

other signs of being connected:

- a la Dan, yes, always prefer to pee outside (not just in the morning) even if there is an option to pee indoors

- a disregard for material things

- in winter, still wanting to do CT

- no matter how many times you CT, I mean outdoors in sea,lakes, river,... ..... always having anxiety and a friendly fear... but a lust for both

- having tried every CT - ice bath, river, lake, shower etc...... feeling that the best CT is the sea

- going for a 6hr run in the mountains with nothing

- feeling better barefoot on the grass is better than concrete

- Feeling better the less people there are around

- Feeling your best when you are by the sea and close to the mountains
    caroline and Danco3636 like this.
  6. malc0088

malc0088 4th dimension

Love this 'Signs of being Connected'

- barefoot run with no shirt and tiny running shorts in bright sun

- jumping into the local lake to CT any time of year - and getting strange looks or ignorant comments like 'hows the water?' with a sarcastic remark - reminds me when my action makes others uncomfortable i'm headed in the right direction.

- having a sense of urgency to get outside and strip down to reconnect when i've been indoors too long

- the constant draw to natural running water, rocks, and grass on my exposed skin

- best CT ever at 9k ft. in snowmelt river in full spectrum sun, fully submerged is a serious invigorating shot of life.

- grilling some fish and veggies outside as the sun sets...feeling of fullness and completeness
    caroline, Barry and Danco3636 like this.
  7. Barry

Barry New Member

okay, saving the best for last...... being connected:

- you can tell the time without wearing a watch

- you prefer the suffering in every aspect of life, acute that is.

- you are drawn to the color purple

- you cannot hold your smartphone in your hand for too long

- eating a "light" meal never really happens. You either eat well or you don't

- each day, you find it more and more difficult to live in the modern world

- your sport is not done for numbers, distances asthetic purposes or even accomplisments. The priority for you is simply to be outdoors in nature

Finally, this for me is how it all clicks together:

you meet someone, and become close to them, be it a friend, a spouse, a relation or a neighbour...... and you find out that they have never heard of Becker, Ling, Pollack, Lane, Marino..... or even Kruse or Murray...

yet, they are doing almost all the shit I have just listed without even thinking about it

I rest my case.
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Danny, HenrikB, Linz and 2 others like this.
  8. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yes ....all of the above! When I met my partner 3 years ago - he had never heard about Jack Kruse! He was doing so much right by instinct.

I just can't figure out how to get the house even moderately clean because I want to be outside all the time!

Being away with our camper trailer is a huge game changer - outside from sunrise to sunset. Just throw some shrimp and salmon on the barbie.

I now hate shopping malls and crowds of people with a passion ....being out in the bush is a priority ....and being in the ocean is the biggest priority of all.

One downside [I suppose] .....I am running out of patience for those who cant be bothered to even give it a go ...... I need to use my time much more wisely now.

Now that I know better .....I can and will do so much better.
    Danny and Linz like this.
  9. kris90

kris90 New Member

It's true. I've always loved camping and outdoors. I would be one of the only ones going up to a cottage who enjoyed not having cell reception, and took full advantage of spending the entire day outdoors, in the sun and swimming in the lake, exploring islands barefoot, cliffdiving, fishing, and enjoying water sports, and then of course bonfires at night.

I always had an enhanced sense of wellbeing during a weekend at the cottage, and then upon returning back to the city, it was gone. I never really thought much of it, only that I knew I felt good, but wasn't sure why. And now I know.

I'm glad I moved to the country. I have that feeling every evening when I get home from work, and on weekends. Only thing missing is waterfront, but I'm only a 5 min drive from the river.
  10. Barry

Barry New Member

Race Update

So I'm racing shorter stuff now, ~10-20km mountain trail.

Race series I am currently doing takes place every Wed night. 7.30pm.

These races are up a mountain and down, full gas. I am racing well , finishing in top 1o usually.

I am still LCHF/Ketotic/IF/SITG/Dots Connected etc.

However, sleep is destroyed after these races. Finish is usually 8.30pm, return home 9.30-10pm.

Body feels like it has just been in mild trauma, and going to sleep is difficult.

Never asked this before in the 5yrs I have been blogging..... but

Any suggestions ?? (bear in mind I know the real answer is to not do these races, but thats not what I'm looking for)
    malc0088 likes this.
  11. Ski coach

Ski coach Gold

After an overly long ski day and late return home, I find mild CT helps me both recover a bit and calm down. By mild I mean maybe 20 minutes with cool fat burner or a few minutes in a 60 to 65 degree tub. If I know it is going to be one of those days, I might even take a bunch of icepacks and put them on my legs and knees in the car for the drive home.
    Danny likes this.
  12. Barry

Barry New Member

Tried that numerous times..... usually cold river after race
  13. malc0088

malc0088 4th dimension

Maybe it has to do with sympathetic activation being ramped up at the time melatonin should be secreted. i'll make some traditional kava root, turmeric, black pepper, or valerian to aid in slowing my mind down (the endorphins after the race typically can cause me to stay awake somewhat). I close my eyes in bed and all i see is the trail and the constant alertness of dodging obstacles (i've been known to jerk my body in bed). i wear blue blockers after dark and when i'm driving home (the headlights can really jack up my sleep). i too like to use cold after races and before bed, massage, and getting in a decent meal all aid in proper sleep for me.
    Barry likes this.
  14. Paul Fendler

Paul Fendler New Member

Barry...

No suggestions. I never was able to sleep after evening race. Not once. Elevating legs helped me feel better but still couldn't sleep. 7:30PM is pretty late for an effort that hard.

If I was ever in that situation again...things I might try would be stuff like the following: lying on the ground, avoid going to bed until tired, activities that stimulate parasympathetic nervous system....breathing, meditation, walking. I'm sure you've tried all kinds of things.

PS It pains me to say it but...you were so right about the Quantlet. Downfall.
    Barry likes this.
  15. Barry

Barry New Member

Agreed.
  16. Barry

Barry New Member

as Paul mentioned too, it is all about ramping the sympathetic system down.

I've done CT in rivers and lakes before post race... but also sea , at night, a couple of times, and remember sleeping well. Might have to get in post race at night and see.
  17. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I
    interested in what you discover.
  18. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Agreed.
  19. htw

htw New Member

I am also KETO 2 years and HFLC for about 2-3 years. My peersonal expirience is when I am training HARD and LONG (2h streight 5x5 for glycogen depletion) and I have one day for rest before this trainig I have to eat more high-glycemic carb pre and poste workout. I tried a lot of sfuff - D-RIBOSIS and others - fenugreek but my sleep was crappy (I have cortisol PEAK at 2 at night) . I knew that for keto adapted person advice eat some carb is trivial advice but in my expirince ony working.
    Other days my sleep is brilient, my eyes are closing automaticly (9-10), red glasses works - SCN is key, but one day I have to carb up little I assume for faster glycogen resynthesis.
    Sean Waters likes this.
  20. Barry

Barry New Member

you know what, sometimes the solution is staring us in the face and we try to overcomplicate an already complex subject

I have been, in my quest of fat adaptation almost stubbornly refusing carbs.

With what I know these days, its not the carbs per se.

But for this purpose, lowering cortisol/parasympathetic responses, I think you could be right so I will give this a try.

I see athletes today destroying themselves with a zero carb approach, I was one of them too. But the keto world and the zero carb zealots are completely misdirecting people